Photo

What laptop is the best choice for modern digital DJ'ing.

hardware software laptop digital DJing

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,507 posts

i have tried ipad mixing, i do it home when my friends come, and i want to sit with them and relax.

interfaces are very nice.

it can definetely do the work for a gig in a chillout cafe by the beach, specially if you add external sound card (latest native instruments audio 2 and Z1 are ipad compatible, as well as apogee).

i will try to test this setup on big soundsystem when i have chance and equipment.

however i can't imagine a serious gig with this only, maybe if you connect 2 channel output to external mixer, but not standalone, i need precission of analog / physical knobs.

But as a backup or travelling setup is has future.

reality is a creation of your mind

Mønsterhed

Mønsterhed

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

One of the biggest drawbacks for iPad DJing for me is the inability to use FLAC files, since Apple don't support it on any of their devices. My whole collection of files are in FLAC.

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,507 posts

One of the biggest drawbacks for iPad DJing for me is the inability to use FLAC files, since Apple don't support it on any of their devices. My whole collection of files are in FLAC.

you can use XLD for a fast conversion to AIFF or Apple Lossless  :) and it saves comments and all tags. 

But you will loose your CUE POINTS and loops in Traktor.

in my opinion the most "compatible" format is AIFF, but i use ALAC (m4a / apple lossless) for all my digital data, my only problem is that "Pioneer" don't support it (only now in 2016 latest Nexus2 will start to support this), but i export playlist and then convert them to use with Pioneers when i need.

reality is a creation of your mind

Spinnet (One Arc Degree)

Spinnet (One Arc Degree)

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

I'm using a Lenovo Y50-70 both for producing and for playing live. Really solid build, fast processor but comes with one serious flaw: HDD is really shitty. Replace it with a Samsung Evo SSD (they come cheap nowadays) and the machine makes a huge leap in performance. This is an excellent low budget solution and covers all my needs really.

open the doors and let the music flood in

neil (spatialize)

neil (spatialize)

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Yeah I have a thinkpad and that was really excellent for audio, particularly after sticking an ssd in it. I ran reaper and Ableton on it.

But,and I don't know what happened, it just started to run really slow. I've done as much as my windows knowledge permits me to do. So I've given up on it on the end,installed Linux on a partitioned drive, and just use it for the Web.:-(

A second hand Thinkpad / lenovo appear to be the computer of choice if you're looking for a cheap road into production though.

Trala Lama

Trala Lama

Event Officer

• Psybient.org team
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Acer Travelmate 113B i5 3317U 8GB SSD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hardware, software, laptop digital DJing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users