psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Gagarin Project

software to manage samples / how to organize samples ?

I just maintain a good folder structure, when i get new samples i put them in a sensible place with a descriptive folder..  It Bitwig you can browse folders and everything is indexed so you can eg search for 'snare' within your 'drums' folder or your root, then you get a list of search results, you can go through them and it plays them as you click on them

Most DAWs have this kind of functionality

If you want to start tagging every single file you have you might never get round to even making any music :P

Yeah, good folder structure from the beginning :) It's really pain in the *** to start re-arrange samples from mixed folders.

From the beginning, you say ?

Well, it's hopeless for me, then. 

I treat my sample library like I treat the rest of my stuff: sorted into messy piles that I know the layout of quite well... and if anyone were to ever clean them up, I'd be completely lost. 

So: I have terrible advice, and nobody should ever do what I do. 

folder structure is of course nice, but software can be nice also....

renaming samples is not very good idea, and finding them using only name can be tricky. 

i tag all my music in itunes with "comments" id3 field and with this i can easily find "that ethnic track from androcell" or that "techy track from aes dana".

but as WAVE files don't support tags that may be done only via external "database" software.

I am sure it exist :) but i am not sure if is really working well.

From the beginning, you say ?

Well, it's hopeless for me, then. 

I treat my sample library like I treat the rest of my stuff: sorted into messy piles that I know the layout of quite well... and if anyone were to ever clean them up, I'd be completely lost. 

So: I have terrible advice, and nobody should ever do what I do. 

Stick all that in a folder called 'older samples' and just organise new files you get as they come in...i ended up doing this...  i find i tend to want to use new stuff rather than keep going back to the same old sample packs anyway so your current collection may well be long forgotten one day.

I have done and incredible amount of research on this subject. Organization is becoming super important to me since I am growing my library everyday. From what I have found the best solution for me has been organizing by years.

For example:

Production folder

---samples and loops

---vst and fx

---originals songs

---remixes songs

Then next year I will start a new 2017 folder with all the Same information in it.

That way when I want to find a particular sound I only have to remember a timeframe in my life. Instead of folder titles and locations.

I am still trying to work out some details so if you have any input I would love to hear it. :D