psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
andorra

Portable MIDI sync solution

Hi!

What's your setup connecting laptop's, pads and synths together with midi?

I'm looking a portable solution to connect two laptops (macbook and pc) and Virus C with MIDI sync.

This one seems quite handy (plug'n play) and affordable for my needs, what do you guys think about it?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/iconnectivity_iconnectmidi2_l.htm

i am also curious about this, so far i tried connecting devices via soundcard midi cable, but we had to "manualy" adjust the sync.

I propose also share/discuss software alternatives for users without hardware midi ports, maybe there is a good WIFI software that can connect two Abletons.

Well, I'm using a Kenton USB Solo to sync up with my modular.  But even that's sometimes a nightmare.  Getting it to natively send clock reset messages when I hit "play" in Logic has been impossible (at least, with my Eurorack sequencer-of-choice).  My current workaround involved using one of the Kenton's aux outputs as a gate triggered by midi CC #2 or #3, and just drawing in a quick breath controller spike into a midi region (that outputs to the Kenton) right at the end of every say 4 bars.  That way, even if it starts out of sync, the sequence will will be reset to the proper starting point 4 bars in, and stay in sync until I stop/start again.  

This is dizzying and annoying, and I've been (probably undeservedly) crusty about midi hardware for a while because of it.  

The midi interface you linked looks decent, if limitied.  But if it does what you need it to, then how can you not, for the price?  

I just bought this audio interface for live performances; it's dirt cheap for a Thunderbolt interface, and... it does what it says on the box.  At the price, I won't cry when someone inevitably spills beer on it, so what's not to love?  

I should imagine you'll feel similarly about that midi interface, but i have no familiarity with the company. 

quite a lot of external gear these days has a usb connection that you can use instead of midi.  all my external synths can all be controlled by usb....but i still use midi for them.  I use the midi output on my novation SL.  

there shouldn;t realy be a time delay on midi.  but if you're using logic and you are experiencing this make sure that your latency compensation preferences are set to "audio and instruments" rather than "all".  "All" is for if you are using external effects like UAD on a group bus.

I'm just thinking here that should I just purchase the bigger model with more connections available for possible future needs...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/iconnectivity_iconnectmidi4_l.htm

It's double the price (and three times the weight) but with more USB/MIDI -connections and nice features too. Hmm.. :)

Sooo I'm getting back into this subject after a while... :)

So far I've been using Roland UM-ONE USB-midi -cable with my Virus C and it has worked great! But since I purchased also a Nord Lead 2 it's time to upgrade my usb-midi solution and decided to give a try with Miditech MIDIface 4x4. It's really reasonably priced and I just hope it works fine with my synths.... I'll let you guys know after I have tested this next week.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/miditech_midiface_4x4.htm