Photo

Do you use Open Source DAW or OS for music?

Linux Open Source DAW OS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Open Source Music Production Survey (9 member(s) have cast votes)

What Operating System you use for Music production?

1. GNU-Linux (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. BSD (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Windows (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

4. Mac OS X (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Is your primary Music software Open Source?

1. No, only using proprietary licensed software (8 votes [88.89%])

Percentage of vote: 88.89%

2. Mixed, some of both (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Yes, mainly using open-source or free software (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

unknown music

unknown music

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello psybient friends,

Please let me know if you are someone who likes to use open source audio editor or operating system to work on your music.

Personally, I like to use the Reaper software on a customized operating system (Arch Linux).

In order to make Reaper function on the unix-like operating system, the Wine package is used to run the program and VST plugin. To route the sound output, jack audio is used in combination with wineasio, qjackctl, cadence, ALSA, etc. This allows me to have extremely low latency and full usage of the typical ASIO output including MIDI. By recompiling the Linux kernel using special patch, it is possible to reconfigure the scheduler optimizer for audio purposes (instead of default server configuration). This way, latency can be reduced further for real-time purposes.

Now I have switched to this setup for almost a year already, it is the only setup I use now.

It works very well and I am very satisfied with the level of audio control I get.

Some of the newest VST plugins may not work, but most robust plugins designed in the past work excellently, 64bit or 32bit is your choice.

If anyone is considering a setup on alternative OS like GNU-Linux or BSD, I highly recommend to do it! The time has already been ripe!

Let me know your thoughts..

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,585 posts

i a big fan of OS approach, however i am always trying to use latest and advanced software which is often a payed one with a closed source.

thank you for this information.

reality is a creation of your mind

unknown music

unknown music

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Most of the music software I like to use is proprietary as well, but I have managed to get this software working on the open source OS, so that is a step in the direction.
  • Gagarin likes this

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,585 posts

do you need special vst format, as i undertand VST are different "files" from platform to platform.

unknown music

unknown music

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
In my setup, I am using the windows variant of VST. The *wine* package allows me to run the Windows 64 bit version of Reaper from a virtual drive / folder. Just as in windows, the Reaper program can scan folder for VST plugin (*.dll format plus any additional data). Most VST plugin should work, some special ones will require installation of a so called "winetricks" package. If a plugin also requires directx or other very special modern windows OS feature, plugin may not work yet.

Most of my favorite VST i have tested 32 bit and 64 bit and they work fine, only important one I cant use is Arturia. Older versions of the Arturia plugins work fine, newest version has glitches on this setup.

Don't know if it is possible to use Mac OS X variant on it.

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,585 posts
i heared that steinberg is working onto VST "compatibility" for LINUX, that would be a big step !

recently discovered that bitwig has a linux version, that's good to know =)

Lorn

Lorn

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

I've been an Ableton user from almost the beginning. Hard for me to jump ship. ;)

andorra

andorra

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

I'm using Renoise and it's available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux :) Thought it's quite different than most of the DAW's out there but I love it. I've used trackers since 90's Fast Tracker 2 and I found it too hard to start learning some another DAW now. It would take too much time to learn everything... Old dog already! :D

https://www.renoise....roducts/renoise

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Linux, Open Source, DAW, OS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users