• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

andorra

andorra

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I'm looking for new headphones and I would like to know what headphones are you using?

And which would you recommend for production/monitor use that would also be good and comfort for casual listening?

(And let's say that the price range for what I'm looking for is below 200€...) Thank you! :)

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,648 posts

are you looking for closed or open? for long home monitoring i think open are more comfortable, 

reality is a creation of your mind

YuriNondual

YuriNondual

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

I love my Sennheiser hd-25. So far I haven't heard anything better

Shpongle

Shpongle

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOuter Shpongolia

Sennheiser is the way to go ;)

Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost...

Spinnet (One Arc Degree)

Spinnet (One Arc Degree)

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

I've been using Sennheiser HD201 for years, both for casual listening & monitoring (when I can't use my speakers at home). These are dirt cheap headphones (20 euros!) and you will be pleasantly surprised by their quality. I would buy them over and over again.

open the doors and let the music flood in

=ҒLΦɎD=

=ҒLΦɎD=

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

for monitoring i use shure srh550dj headphones (http://www.shure.com...y-dj-headphones)

good sound, crappy built quality..

for listening on the go i had sennheiser hd 239 (http://nl-be.sennhei...l-stereo-hd-239).

verry comfy & good sound but the cable broke of at the jack... very unfortunatly..

now i use in-ear sennheisers, standard sennheiser quality and very strong, i left'm ones in my pocket and put them in the washingmachine and they came out verry neat and crispy and worked prefectly (http://nl-be.sennhei...ating-cx-400-ii)

andorra

andorra

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Thanks for your replies. I don't have really an opinion on that should I get open or closed headphones... I think I'll prefer for those which are more comfortable :)

Sennheisers seem to be popular here.. So far I've been using my Sony MDR-700's at home for casual monitoring and when DJ'ing but the sound quality is quite crappy and they're not too comfortable either... I think that even my Creative HQ-1700's are more better which I use at work for listening to music :)

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,648 posts

18 Headphone Brands Ranked from Worst to First
http://time.com/74886/best-headphones/

via'on

via'on

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

My favorites headphones:

Live setup: Sennheiser HD-25 (good isolation, nice bass and power)

Studio setup: Beyerdynamics DT-770 (closed) or DT-990 (open) (can be used for hours, warm bass, smooth treble)

• Gagarin and neil (spatialize) like this

Mønsterhed

Mønsterhed

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

For home listening I use B&W P5 right now. Really nice sound, imo. They are closed which makes them good for using during transportation (that's also where I use them most).

I'll agree with the above post, though. For live Sennheiser HD25 seems the way to go and studio Beyerdynamics seem nice. Good price and good sound.

• YuriNondual likes this

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,648 posts

Modular DIY headphones looks petty neat ! 4 components and 360 possibilities.

http://www.djtechtoo...our-headphones/

p.s as for me i use Sennheiser HD 380 pro and love them to mix with them in events. But would probably choose an opens one for producing at home.

andorra

andorra

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

After a very long comparison and searching between quality and low budget I've come to conclusion to order Audio-Technica ATH-M50 X -studio headphones.

http://www.thomann.d...a_ath_m50_x.htm

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,648 posts

After a very long comparison and searching between quality and low budget I've come to conclusion to order Audio-Technica ATH-M50 X -studio headphones.

http://www.thomann.d...a_ath_m50_x.htm

my friend just purchased this ones for DJ mixes. She is happy :) 

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,648 posts

i purchased resently beyerdynamics 880, open headphones, definetely not possible to play a live or dj set at festival if you need cleam monitoring, but for home producing or enjoyement is great.

if i would wanted a one for dj set, i would go for 770 ;)

anyway, now this is my fav brand - beyerdynamics :)

andorra

andorra

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Having used these now for a year I've came to conclusion that I need better headphones for studio use  :D

These are good for quick studio use and very good for DJ'ing but now I think I need to upgrade again...

=ҒLΦɎD=

=ҒLΦɎD=

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

looking for a new pair of commuting (on foot, bike, train, airplane,...) headgear at the moment.

i lost my trusty sennheiser earplugs... 

earplugs (in ear) are great but they fell out of my ears quite a lot, must be my ears, i don't know :)

so anyway, now i'm looking for gear with a headband, strong and not big.

i came across these from AIAIAI: http://www.bax-shop....art#tab-reviews

just what i need: slick, simple, a good sound and not to expensive

but, in the review a guy writes there is a lot of sound leakage...

i myself don't like people who are sitting next to me with headgear on where the sound comes pouring out like shatterd glass :)

so yeah i don't want to become that guy if you know what i mean :)

does anyone have any ideas for slick, strong travel headphone with almost no leakage?

lemme know! :)

Kahawai

Kahawai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationFrance

I've just purchased the AKG k712 for 225€ on thomann after reading hips of tests about studio monitoring headphones.

I could have chosen the beyerdynamics but to be honest, I much prefered AKG's look. So did I choose the K712 instead of 702 for the supposedly boost at low frequencies. For the moment I must admit they're not very big at lows. But I don't like personnaly low emphasizing too much, and I read people finding a running-in period that helped the bass to be more present. Anyway my set are very good headphones, and considering what I've just written I'd definetly recommend them.

Good luck brother.

=ҒLΦɎD=

=ҒLΦɎD=

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

AKG is good gear not doubt about that!

but that is not what i'm looking for at the mo :)

schofield

schofield

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

I've been using the Sennheiser hd 205's for many, many years.  Still happy with them.  On my second pair and have had them for probably 8 years.

That said, I hardly use them any more.  When I mix, I tend to go visual based on the wave form.

neil (spatialize)

neil (spatialize)

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

My favorites headphones:

Live setup: Sennheiser HD-25 (good isolation, nice bass and power)
Studio setup: Beyerdynamics DT-770 (closed) or DT-990 (open) (can be used for hours, warm bass, smooth treble)

Agreed

Beyerdynamic are nice for studio production. However I often find when I have worked on something on headphones and then move to speakers there is usually a lot of readjustments to be made. It doesn't seem to matter which headphones I use. Definitely open backed for studio use though, closed back for djing.

I would say that sound sculpting and getting the core of your tune together is better on speakers. I think where headphones come in for me is during the arrangement part when you can pop a laptop on your er lap and get stuck into creating an interesting arrangement flow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users