• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Matt Freak Flag

Matt Freak Flag

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

How... just how do people use rotary mixers?  

I don't DJ, but I can't even imagine doing a live set without faders.  How do you spin a rotary encoder fast enough to DJ with?  

That Condesa Lucia is maybe the sexiest mixer I've ever seen, but I'm amazed that people are making the encoder thing work in a live setting.   

• Hermetech Mastering likes this

If it sounds good, it is good.  

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,553 posts

I don't DJ, but I can't even imagine doing a live set without faders.  How do you spin a rotary encoder fast enough to DJ with?  

That Condesa Lucia is maybe the sexiest mixer I've ever seen, but I'm amazed that people are making the encoder thing work in a live setting.   

as i understand it is used more for smooth mixing, so you don't need to "throw" and "cut" :)

i know personally 1 dj who is a fan of this type of mixer, he prays for soundquality. i don't remember the name of model he has.

reality is a creation of your mind

arakoon

arakoon

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

I mix tracks at home in Tracktor with Numark Mixtrack controller and MOTU Microbook II soundcard

Also I have got Axelvox monitors (I want to buy Adam later) and Yamaha subwoofer and good balanced cabels

When I at party I like pioneer 400 mixer and 100 decks - classic equipment

I play my mixes only about 2 or 3 times in the year, so I don't want to buy laptop with some pad or mini controller, but of course mixing with tracktor is much easier

Johnny Mandrake

Johnny Mandrake

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

for dj'ing I am using Traktor Control S2 + Ipad. It's very handy and I don't need to carry my laptop for parties.

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,553 posts

for dj'ing I am using Traktor Control S2 + Ipad. It's very handy and I don't need to carry my laptop for parties.

interesting ! is there any quality or volume differences between playing from laptop or from ipad ?

Johnny Mandrake

Johnny Mandrake

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Completely no, quality's the same. I also bought waterproof (beerproof), dustproof, shockproof case for Ipad so it's safe on the table in club or at the festival. This option is waaaaaay better than using delicate, much more expensive computer.

Only disadvatage is that Traktor dj app got only two channels (if you will connect it to the S4 it will only use two channels) and there is no option to use remix decks. But size of the tablet, everything-proof case and smootlhy working plug and play wins for me.

When I started playing like this even laptop dj's looked at me a bit strange, but I always told them this is better ;)

Alchemist

Alchemist

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Hmm I will be ordering a X1 MK2 to use alongside my VCI-100SE. That way I get a bit more room for playing with effects/loops. Currently I have to press a little bit too much buttons at the same time to get where I want to be (or even use the mouse to select the effects).  I'll let you guys know how it goes :)

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,553 posts

Completely no, quality's the same. I also bought waterproof (beerproof), dustproof, shockproof case for Ipad so it's safe on the table in club or at the festival. This option is waaaaaay better than using delicate, much more expensive computer.

Only disadvatage is that Traktor dj app got only two channels (if you will connect it to the S4 it will only use two channels) and there is no option to use remix decks. But size of the tablet, everything-proof case and smootlhy working plug and play wins for me.

When I started playing like this even laptop dj's looked at me a bit strange, but I always told them this is better ;)

which case have you got ? :)

Johnny Mandrake

Johnny Mandrake

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
I am using Griffin Survivor: http://www.computers...or-for-ipad-air

Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I've never DJd with a fader, so I have no idea how those people do it. :)

It's actually quite easy, you chose two tracks and turn the knobs to fade and blend them, it's certainly not rocket science.

Had the Lucia a while now, still in love!

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,553 posts

in some styles of music and in some dj techniques, slow blending is used.

i have only once used rotary mixer, but i imagine that it is more adapted for this things.

personally i like fasting cuts , but i never use crossfader for this.

schofield

schofield

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

In the past I have use my laptop and an APC40 controller to control Ableton Live in my DJ sets.

I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 and have a newer version of Ableton installed - the upshot is that I cannot get APC40 to work with Ableton (using Isotonik template, which I love).

Anyway, I do use my iPad as a controller for Ableton at the moment at home.

If I was going to play at a festival, do you think the Laptop and iPad are an okay combo to use?  A friend suggested it wouldn't 'look as good' to a punter, but in reality the iPad works pretty good as a controller.  Not as tactile as the APC40 mind you.

Anyway, any thoughts or opinions?

I will still try to get the APC40 talking to Ableton and Isotonik again, but as a fall back, the iPad could be okay?

Mønsterhed

Mønsterhed

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Sure it would, Schofield! If it works, it works. What matters is the music we play and not the gear we use :) 

• schofield likes this

schofield

schofield

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Thanks Mønsterhed, that's the sort of answer I was looking for.   ;)

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,553 posts
"you can non have only good gigs"
chris liebing one of the DJ that inspire me, great setup, maschine , ableton, traktor 4 channels, xone k2
(techno music)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users