Photo

Psychill vs Psybient do you make difference ?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Psychill vs Psybient do you make difference ? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Psybient = Psychill (Psychill is it the same as Psybient)

1. Yes (9 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. No (11 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Maybe (13 votes [39.39%])

Percentage of vote: 39.39%

Do you think Psychill and Psybient can be considered are synonyms ? (in case if we agree that in most of the people confuse them already)

1. Yes (13 votes [39.39%])

2. No (7 votes [21.21%])

Percentage of vote: 21.21%

3. Maybe (13 votes [39.39%])

Can psy-downtempo be the umbrella term for : psy ambient, psybient / psychill, psybass, psystep , psydub ?

1. Yes (15 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. No (10 votes [30.30%])

Percentage of vote: 30.30%

3. Maybe (8 votes [24.24%])

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

Can psybient be the umbrella term for : psy ambient, psy downtempo, psybass, psystep , psydub ?

1. Yes (5 votes [15.15%])

Percentage of vote: 15.15%

2. No (19 votes [57.58%])

Percentage of vote: 57.58%

3. Maybe (9 votes [27.27%])

Can psychill be the umbrella term for : psy ambient, psy downtempo, psybass, psystep , psydub ?

1. Yes (14 votes [42.42%])

Percentage of vote: 42.42%

2. No (9 votes [27.27%])

3. Maybe (10 votes [30.30%])

Percentage of vote: 30.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Kras

Kras

New community member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

the hardest thing in that genre discussion is that ambient and dub were born in 1970 much earlier than other 'relax' genres, and if we are talking about, for example, The Infinity Project - Mystical Experiences, that was released in 1995, we need to know, that trip-hop was born in 1993-1994, downtempo in 1995-1996, and chill-out even was a slang word.

On the festivals we usually have two stages: psytrance and chillout. With my friends we don't usually use neither psychill nor psybient. We say "chill music" or "chillout" and only throw in "ambient" if something's really slow (most of the time beatless but with few exceptions) but it's equally descriptive as "dub", "oriental" or "bass". So yeah, for me, psybient is de facto a sub-genre of psychill music. And that's how it goes around in the world, with few exceptions, of course. I haven't met a DJ that focuses solely on strictly beatless and ambient music but some of us do play ambient sets once in a while.

Progressive Anarchists

Progressive Anarchists

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

There are too many terms to describe styles of music. And each of them describes a constricted musical concept without much tolerance for any individualism. As soon as any musican makes his own thing, people start to critise that the music does not match the strict policies of any of these musical concepts. In my opinion, that is a shame.

We should think about less musical styles and tolerate individuality of each artist. So, let psytrance, psychill and psybient be synonyms for each other.

yiannis

yiannis

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationGreece

There are too many terms to describe styles of music. And each of them describes a constricted musical concept without much tolerance for any individualism. As soon as any musican makes his own thing, people start to critise that the music does not match the strict policies of any of these musical concepts. In my opinion, that is a shame.

We should think about less musical styles and tolerate individuality of each artist. So, let psytrance, psychill and psybient be synonyms for each other.

Hmmm, I don't know about that. For me genre labels are used to describle the music so I know where an artist or a release stands within the general spectrum, so they are important for orientation and research. Moaning about someone "not being true to their sound" is so juvenile and show-off, as in "look at me, I'm so true, I will never betray the original sound". However, I don't see a problem with disliking a turn an artist makes without making accusations of sellout and the like. There's enough music being made on every subgenre to satisfy everyone, so I don't see why people should be criticised for being different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users