http://www.mixedbyma...ooks-tutorials/

reality is a creation of your mind

Lorn

Lorn

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Alright friends, here is another question for eq.

Any specific process to handle spoken word samples, especially something being used from a movie or tv show? How to get them to sit well in the mix and how to get them in the proper key of the tune?

Iacchus

Iacchus

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Alright friends, here is another question for eq.

Any specific process to handle spoken word samples, especially something being used from a movie or tv show? How to get them to sit well in the mix and how to get them in the proper key of the tune?

Depends what you are trying to mix it with, and what the sound of the voice is like!  But generally I would probably compress it if there is dynamic range i dont want, and roll off the bottom to keep it away from the bass and kick.

I certainly wouldnt try to tune it, it is spoken word, not singing, by its very nature it is not supposed to be in a tune. 

• Lorn likes this

Lorn

Lorn

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Thanks mate. That makes sense!

Lorn

Lorn

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Any thoughts on hiding background noise/hiss/music from the movie vocal sample?

I've been playing with taking out frequencies like the highs, which seems to help a little but not enough.

Mønsterhed

Mønsterhed

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

I'd choose a sample without much background noise. If it has too much I'd probably just scratch it and find another. There's loads to choose from :) 

Lorn

Lorn

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

I'd choose a sample without much background noise. If it has too much I'd probably just scratch it and find another. There's loads to choose from :)

Haha, there is always that option! :)

Iacchus

Iacchus

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Any thoughts on hiding background noise/hiss/music from the movie vocal sample?

I've been playing with taking out frequencies like the highs, which seems to help a little but not enough.

The problem with vocals is that consonants are effectively white noise.  If you de-noise it using de-essers etc, you remove the definitoin of the talking and left with something more 'vowelly'

There are expensive forensic cleanup suites that do a reasonable job of reducing noise and leaving the vocals as unaffected as possible but to be honest, why not leave the noise in?  nothing wrong with a bit of noise in a track

If you don't like how the noise starts and stops suddenly with the vocal track, take a bit of the noise when the voice isn't there, loop it, and fade it in and out before/after the sample.

• Lorn likes this

Lorn

Lorn

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

If you don't like how the noise starts and stops suddenly with the vocal track, take a bit of the noise when the voice isn't there, loop it, and fade it in and out before/after the sample.

Hey great idea. Thanks!

Delightful Imperfections

Delightful Imperfections

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

For samples, like everyone says, make sure they are as clean as possible to begin with.

Then, I then run mine through a plugin by iZotope called 'Dialogue Denoiser', which really cleans it up. You'll be surprised how clean a sample can get, just be careful not to remove any nice bits from the voice.

I then EQ as required, & add delay / fx / compression if appropriate.

These days I try and use samples more sparingly, as I find it alters the vibe of a track soooo much...so I really dont want to do it for the sake of it! Less is more for me :)

• Lorn likes this

Iacchus

Iacchus

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

I dont really use vocal samples anymore.. especially the whole terrance mckenna style hippy gubbins samples started to sound really cliche and tiresome to me :P

• Lorn likes this

epilogue

epilogue

New community member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

One thing I have learned is to cut the sound rather than boosting. Since boosting only adds db to the mix.

• Lorn likes this

Psilopylot

Psilopylot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

With samples from movies and such I often don't worry too much about the noise, I remove some but there's not much you can do about it without becoming the equivalent of a heart surgeon. And it also depends where the sample sits, by that I mean the position of the song. There will be a difference between including on the beginning, in the middle of everything happening or in something like a more quite bridge section or middle8. But generally I roll of the lows, since it's usually just useless rumble down there, remove some hissing highs but not too much to make it sound very dull (unless it's what I'm going for). Sometimes it helps to use a de-esser but Iacchus already said what the problem is then.

If the noise is really invasive I just search for a better one.

But it's always very individual and EQing and Mixing is always a big boogeyman for novice producers. So lot's of experience, producing and learning is always the best technique  :D  :D . (that's why I'm here sucking up the precious knowledge from other more seasoned producers, muhaha)

• Lorn likes this

Nature's beauty is infinite. So is the inspiration and resources it will provide you with.

Lorn

Lorn

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

EQing and Mixing is always a big boogeyman for novice producers.

HA! You can say that again. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Production

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users