psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Gagarin Project

save on buying music from Bandcamp for europeans / buy cheaper

sharing my tips for buying chipper ;)

some of you might notice that when you buy tracks on bandcamp , they will add automatically 20-30% taxes to pay to Europe.

that was happening for me as my paypal was registered here.

i opened another paypal and transfered money there. my new paypal don't have taxes added as it is registered for canada address.

easy to do , and it saves money which i prefer to pay directly to artists.

Yeah, the VAT sucks.. I don't really understand why (and to whom) I'm paying that 24% tax on digital music.. Really makes the difference when buying several albums.

Same thing with sotfware. I noticed that Lennar Digital is giving 25% off the Sylenth1 in black Friday sales but since I'm paying the 24% VAT I'm really just getting really small slice off the normal price... :D

Btw. Do you use some friends address in Canada or do you just pick up some random address? You don't have a credit card linked to that account then (probably wants the same billing address that the card has)?

i think i took a friends address in Canada, but no need to do any verification. And credit card is registered for an adress in France.

actually i think you can have a paypal account without a credit card, and you can just send money from your main account to the extra account (with CANADIAN address).

Just to open this one again... Did you use your own name for the second account? I guess you'd have to because it has to match the one on the credit card, right? I'm tired of extra taxes as well. I just want to do my music shopping in peace.

actually i dont have a second card, i just made a second paypal (registered foe a country outside of europe) and i put money from one paypal to my second paypal.

both paypals have same name i believe, but  not sure. i dont think that matter.