psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
droneklang

Dj controller with existing studio/interface setup

Hi

Id like to ask a question here for some advice of how to add a dj controller to my studio setup.

I have never used dj controllers before so i need to know how it works.

I am using ableton live and sometimes cubase for recording. My audio interface is a rme ufx on a win 10 pc.

If i get a dj controller ill probably get something from native instruments and the traktor software.

As i understand all the dj controllers have built in audio interfaces or soundcards. But in my situation like mentioned i already have 

an audio interface which i like to use with my daw. So the question is, are the built in interfaces in the dj controllers optional or is it a requirement to use them to function properly?

And will these controllers send out midi cc so the knobs and button can be mapped to different parameters on a synth or plugin?

hi ;)

welcome to the forum 

1) soundcard is optional for DJ controllers. and event if the controller you buy has a sound card you can still use your "studio" sound card if you prefer. for example if you wish to use existing audio cables that are already connected to your monitors at home.

all NI controllers are awesome. i recommend X1, S2 and S4. Tractor is a great choice for software. Most of NI controllers come with a license for Traktor. so you don't need to buy it seperetely.

2) NI controllers work by default with a "native" protocol, but with a combination of button you can switch them to "MIDI mode" and they will work as any other midi controller to control synths or plugins in any software.

glad to help :)

Hi,

And thanks for letting me in  :)

Thats good news. Think ill start with the S2 and see how it goes.

Ill probably get back here for some tips and tricks when i have the controller setup in my studio.

Thanks ;)

Hi,

And thanks for letting me in  :)

Thats good news. Think ill start with the S2 and see how it goes.

Ill probably get back here for some tips and tricks when i have the controller setup in my studio.

Thanks ;)

one thing that i miss in S2 is the AUDIO IN / MIC IN, so you can't invite a singer or instrument player to assist you. but it can be done via external mixer.

good luck!