DJs and Tracklist

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,581 posts

Some of the DJ's have the old habbit of keeping the tracklist private. While i respect this approach, i think if a DJ decide to put a mix online for a "free listen" they shall put full tracklist, this is the simplest and the most effective way to thank to the artist. Having no time is no excuse, Having 1-2 unreleased tracks is also no excuse, as partial playlist is better then nothing.

what is your opinion ?

• Trala Lama, =ҒLΦɎD= and Noah like this

reality is a creation of your mind

Trala Lama

Trala Lama

Event Officer

• Psybient.org team
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

I agree that putting a tracklist with a mix is the best option, but sometimes it is hard to describe the actual mix in a linear tracklist.
For instance when mixing more than 2 decks, and fading in and out certain tracks or repeating (parts of) them more then once makes it rather impossible to determine a classic linear tracklist as used by Mixcloud i.e.

(And no way to time-stamp it properly..)
So my opinion is: ''Yes, but...''

• =ҒLΦɎD= likes this

ancientrealms

ancientrealms

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Track list is a must. It allows the listener to identify those tracks that speak to them and than go support that artist by purchasing said track.

• Fuluf and Judge Ming like this

Fuluf

Fuluf

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Aye, like mr. Realms said. In case of multi-layered mixing (is this even a correct term??) it is still important to post the names. It sucks in Mixcloud, indeed, but it still can be managed. Somehow.

• Trala Lama likes this

=ҒLΦɎD=

=ҒLΦɎD=

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Tracklists are indeed very important for the support of producers.

But i agree with the fact that it isn't always easy to do it in a propper way, like Trala Lama says.

Also a tracklist will make the set more atractive for the people who are looking for a set they like.

Personally I often check out the tracklist first before I listen to a set.

And time-stamping is a must, but i don't do it every time, mainly i'm a bit lazy sometimes :)

• Trala Lama and Spinnet (One Arc Degree) like this

Spinnet (One Arc Degree)

Spinnet (One Arc Degree)

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

floyd 2.0 has me covered :)

• =ҒLΦɎD= likes this

open the doors and let the music flood in

schofield

schofield

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Agree Floyd.  

I would go further and say that I virtually never listen to a DJ mix that does not have a track listing.

I'm always on the hunt for new music and so the tracklist is a must.  Plus, as others have said, it allows the punter to support the artists if they wish to.

• Gagarin likes this

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,581 posts
© Ektoplazm facebook page

Dear DJs, let's have a chat about track listings. To be clear, you are obligated to provide attribution (credit) to the original artists when posting a mix online that features content from Ektoplazm. This is one of the fundamental principles of the Creative Commons licenses that most content on the site is released under: you get free music, labels and artists get a little exposure when you re-use it. I always read DJs giving excuses like "I don't remember what I played" (then take notes or listen to your mix and figure it out), "you can't expect me to post a track list after every set" (we don't; only when you post it online does it really matter), "then other people will know what I played" (that's the point, silly), or "I have unreleased tunes in my set that I don't want to give away" (which doesn't sound like what we're talking about, does it now). Plus you look way more professional when you post a neatly formatted track list. Point being: track lists aren't just nice to have, they're the law :P
  • Judge Ming likes this

Trala Lama

Trala Lama

Event Officer

• Psybient.org team
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
For Creative Commons Licensed music I fully agree with the Ektoplazm post, it's part of the deal to get the music for free.

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,581 posts

For Creative Commons Licensed music I fully agree with the Ektoplazm post, it's part of the deal to get the music for free.

well, for non "creative commons" is even "harder". We can't publish the mixes with copyrighted tracks without written permission. Those guys want "money", so giving the tracklist allows them to get the money not only from you but from your mix listeners.

No artist will be happy to know that his tracks was used in mix and no chance was given to listeners to discover more of his track and make his name known.

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,581 posts
The moral acceptability of trainspotting (figuring out what a DJ is playing) is a longstanding debate in the DJ community

http://djtechtools.c...-lazy-or-legit/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users