How long do you sleep?

23 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you sleep in average?

• < 6 hours per day
    • 6-7 hours per day
    • 7-8 hours per day
    • 8-9 hours per day
    • > 9 hours per day
  2. 2. What time do you usually go to sleep?

• before 10pm
    • 10-11pm
    • 11-12pm
    • 0-1am
    • after 1am

here is intersetsing video about sleep. I just don't agree with one thing, i think it is much healthier to follow the sun cycles and wake up early

https://www.ted.com/talks/russell_foster_why_do_we_sleep

Would be curious to know how long do you sleep and how does it affects your life, all experiences are welcome.

Russell Foster: Why do we sleep?

Optimum sleep is achieved at a trough (even double trough) of your circadian cycles,

and when your body has nothing to digest. It can differ from person to person,

but a common double trough is between 2130 and 2200. Your body will fall into healing

sleep alot faster catching a trough. Another common trough is 1500. (SIESTA!!)

Anything over around 7-8 hours is dead sleep - regen is done. It is possible to attain

maximum mind/body regen in significantly less than this but the peaks and troughs must be followed-

meaning having broken sleeping patterns over the 24 hour period.

I do not know the content of this posted video - but i know my written paragraph to be true ;)

Most of the time I sleep around 8 hours, but I feel best rested if I can get 8h30 of sleep. It depends on multiple factors though, for example when I was still a student and was going through exams, I had to sleep allot more to get all the information processed and stored in my head. On a regular day with no real studying I could do with allot less sleep.

Now I get up around 8h in the morning, yet often I still feel sleepy since it's still pretty dark outside here in Belgium. The sun only comes up after 8h30! In summer it's allot more easy for my mind and body to get up early, and I often step out of bed with a big smile! :)

Damn winter and the strange human-made clock that doesn't correspond to the seasons, at least during this time of the year.

The biology of sleeping & dreaming is an extremely interesting topic! I usually sleep around 6 to 7 hours per day and most of the times have a good recollection of my dreams. I used to write them down semi-systematically, as it helped me discover recurring patterns and features, things that once a kept an eye out for, I could use them to switch over to lucid dreaming (extremely exciting!). 

Anyway, one neurobiologist that has really helped me understand the nature of the dreaming process is Alan Hobson (read "The Dream Drugstore" for example, a great book of his). You can check out one of his talks here: 

I sleep around 8 hours on average. I nearly always wake up at night at least once (quite a few more in the summer when I sleep with the air conditioner on) due to a medical condition so I lose a bit of sleep there. I find it really hard to stay awake past 4:00 am, which is annoying the few times a year I go to an all-nighter. Even though I work 3:00-10:00 pm I go to bed around 11:00-12:00 and wake up between 7:00 and 8:30. In summer, when I work mornings, I sometimes have a siesta, although I haven't had the chance to do that last couple of summers as I worked at that time. I can function OK with 6 hous of sleep but I try to make it at least 7. I generally sleep less than I used to, but more out of not needing any more sleep than anything else.

I rather prefer to sleep at night and work during the day. The best, most creative time for me is in the morning between 8:00-12:00. I usually wake up between 6:20 (normal working days) - 7:30 (day off) and go to sleep 22:00 - 23:00. Too much partying and not sleeping get me out of this routine for few days, I can also notice huge decrease of creativity. I need few days to "get into" again.

I sleep at around 7h a day, when i can sleep, i usually have a difficult time to sleep, and i never go to bed before midnight...and i'm not a morning person at all, hate waking up too early, and to be honest i'm only at my best at around 10.30 11h...used to work during the afternoon/night some years back and it felt better than working from 9 to 5pm...but well....

I'm of the vampiric kind, finding it hard (and I mean it) to join Morpheus before 5-6am (even when I had a 9-7 job, unless it was a really exhausting day).

Doesn't matter if I then wake up at 9am or 2pm, my mind will still be like a deer on amphetamine during the night.

After reading some Kalya Scintilla interview (the guy really lives like a yogi :P) and lots of lectures about sleep, I tried to sleep at least at midnight but I was just lying in bed with eyes closed and brain running full speed.

Well at least playing marathon night-sets is not an issue :)

I really wish I got more sleep. :-/ I don't have any problem falling asleep. It's staying asleep that's the problem. I tend to wake up frequently throughout the night. Usually wake up thinking about a musical project I am working on. After the 3rd or 4th time waking up I usually just go work on the song. I seem to get more sleep when I don't have a project going on. (That doesn't happen very often.) But when I am working on a track sleep sorta takes the back burner

I definitely try to get 10 hours down, but sometimes 8 is enough. Ever since I started sleeping on the floor with some blankets (to simulate the soil and grass) I get much, much, MUCH better rest. It also made me realize how bad a bed is. Very good for the spine as well, muscles too rest better that way. Unfortunately I tend to stay up late, which is something I want to change atm. Going to sleep with the sun and getting up with it or before it rises is so much different then getting up late. It's like the day is twice as long and you get done everything you need with more energy.