Photo

When did you start listening to psybient / psychill music?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: When did you start listening to psybient / psychill music? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

When did you start listening to psybient / psychill music?

1. 1995-1996 (7 votes [12.73%])

Percentage of vote: 12.73%

2. 1997-1998 (6 votes [10.91%])

Percentage of vote: 10.91%

3. 1999-2000 (2 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

4. 2001-2002 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 2003-2004 (8 votes [14.55%])

Percentage of vote: 14.55%

6. 2005-2006 (6 votes [10.91%])

Percentage of vote: 10.91%

7. 2007-2008 (2 votes [3.64%])

8. 2009-2010 (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

9. 2011-2012 (10 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

10. 2013-2014 (2 votes [3.64%])

11. before 1995 (5 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

12. before 1990 (3 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Dopese

Dopese

New community member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I discovered Goa Trance in 1996 with the first Pulse compilation and was immediately hooked to this music. I started to buy all the cds i could get at this time (and it wasn't that much my record store had to offer at this time).

One of the albums i bought in the beginning was  "Global Psychedelic Trance Vol. 2" by Spirit Zone, the second cd containing chill tracks by Pleiadians, X-Dreams, The Infinity Project and Patchwork. So i think this was my introduction to psychill. At this time you didn't find too many chill albums, but often the closing track of an Goa album was chill.

I always loved the Trance music as well as psychill, but with the years my focus is more and more on the chill side, enjoying dance music mainly at festivals today (and also there i spent more time at the chill area). There is just more musical variety and emotion in the chill music compared to the four to the floor formula.

• Gagarin and psydub like this

ancientrealms

ancientrealms

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

I`m not sure when it started exactly but what I can rember it was before middle of 90s and projects like FSOL, some tracks of Orbital then first ambient compilations (CD 2) from Spirit Zone by DJ Antaro - "Global psychedelic trance ...  (then chillout ... ) and so on ;)

Exactly, Spirit Zone comps I remember well.

• Jatab likes this

Paul Eye

Paul Eye

New community member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

1997-1998. One of the earliest I heard was the 2nd CD of Return to the Source's The Chakra Journey compilation. Can't remember anymore what was the first "psychill" (pardon the double quotes but I don't think it was called that yet back then) CD I bought (first goa CD I bought was Transwave - Helium and I'll never forget that) but I think it's along the lines of The Infinity Project - Mystical Experiences / Celtic Cross - Hicksville / Mathuresh - Metaphor / Sri Hari - One But Different / some Banco de Gaia album.

Then of course came Shpongle's debut album and nothing was really the same anymore :D

• ancientrealms likes this

thegoatboy

thegoatboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I guess I was quite late to this party.

I listened to FSOL and the orb and stuff, but for psybient/psychill in general it's quite recent for me.

I found the halluciogen in dub album and loved it, and from there got listening to Ott.

Mønsterhed

Mønsterhed

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Probably around 2009-2010, I think. Random stumbled upon CBL and was sold instantly. 

• Gagarin likes this

Basilisk

Basilisk

New community member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

For me it all began with The Orb - Little Fluffy Clouds... and from there I discovered gems like FSOL's Lifeforms/Dead Cities and Orbital's Snivilisation. On the psychedelic tip it must have been releases like Mystical Experiences that I first encountered but the details are somewhat hazy in my recollection... ;)

• Gagarin likes this

SYSTEM-J

SYSTEM-J

New community member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Probably around 2003 when I first heard Juno Reactor's downtempo stuff. Around the same time I was listening to a lot of stuff that could be considered the ancestors of "modern" psybient - The Orb, FSOL, Banco De Gaia etc. A couple of years later I heard Shpongle for the first time, which was when I first became aware that psy-chill was a fully fledged scene rather than a few weird tracks to be found on psy albums.

Fuluf

Fuluf

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Can't remember exactly, but it was in the beginning of '90s when my father played me Jean Michel Jarre Equinoxe album. There were also Era, Enigma, Mike Oldfield and other things which played quite a large role in my life. In 2009 or something like that I quite randomly discovered Shpongle and Yggdrasil and it was at that time when I started switching to the Psychill genre completely. Before that I was a Drum & Bass junkie.

Shpongle

Shpongle

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationOuter Shpongolia

Started in 03,04...was already into Psytrance for a couple of years, then came across "Monster Hit" by Shpongle, i was amazed by it, i had never listened to anything like that, after that, i got the album and started to dig deeper into the genre, and to be honest i don't listen to Psytrance that much these days, Psybient changed my life :D

Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost...

Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering

Illuminated

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

I don't even know what Psybient and PsyChill mean, can anyone define it clearly? Genuine question.

I've been listening to Ambient music since I was a teen in the late 80's/early 90's. Along with Dub Reggae and Industrial they are probably my fave genres.

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,788 posts

I don't even know what Psybient and PsyChill mean, can anyone define it clearly? Genuine question.

i wish it was easy to explain, but let me try. I am doing a quick answer, so if somebody can make it better or rephrase it that would be wonderful.

psychill/psybient - usually 0-110 bpm fusion of ambient-electronic-ethnic music most of the time produced in a digital way. Some people may differenciate psybient and psychill, but i consider tthem as synonyms. Frankly speaking, I just don't like the world "chill" in psychill. This music keep my mind more active then anything else. Maybe i exagerate, some of the artist produce much more relaxed tracks.

Why Psy? I have to answers :
1) because psychill is made with similar sound technique, similar instruments and FX units and sometimes by the same producers as psytrance music.
2) "psychedelic" can be understood as mind expending, so psybient / psychill in other words can be understood as mind expending "chill / ambient" music.

Many genres are melting together and the result can be put in "psy downtempo box". inside psychill we can also differenciate sub-flows: ethnic, psydub, slow trance.

and why not listen, we have a featured collection of albums and mixes => http://www.psybient....category/music/
  • Hermetech Mastering likes this

reality is a creation of your mind

=ҒLΦɎD=

=ҒLΦɎD=

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

My first taste of psybient music came from a CD called 'CELTIC CROSS - HICKSVILLE'.

It was released in 1998 on Dragonfly records.

At that time I was exploring ambient & chillout when I came across this CD.,, well, waauw man :)

For me it was, and still is, a precious CD to me.

The lay-out, the tracks, the unknow producers & label. Everything was so new to me and very addictive :)

Here you have some more info about it:

http://www.discogs.c...e/release/43913

From that moment on, I oriented my ears to the psychedic aspect of electronic music and started out on a tour of many festivals across europe (sonica,2 times boom, 6 times ozora, serpent rainbow etc.)

And at every festival the line-up in the chillout stage was more importend than what was going on on the main dance floor!

And still is today!

• Gagarin and yiannis like this

Shpongle

Shpongle

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

^Great record dude, Simon Posford is a genius...that was one of the first couple records i got when i got into Psybient music

• yiannis likes this

=ҒLΦɎD=

=ҒLΦɎD=

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

^Great record dude, Simon Posford is a genius...that was one of the first couple records i got when i got into Psybient music

indeed, for me it was the perfect portal to get to know psy music!

Shpongle

Shpongle

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

indeed, for me it was the perfect portal to get to know psy music!

Agree, started with Shpongle and pretty much went through all of Posfords work after that

Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering

Illuminated

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Is it available as a paid lossless download anywhere?

yiannis

yiannis

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationGreece

I don't know about a download but the CD is available at very reasonable prices on discogs:

http://www.discogs.c...ase/43913?ev=rb

I adore this album. I listened to Khatmandu on the Spiritual Worlds compilation, which also had Room 2ૐ and Crescent Suns by Binah and I was instantly curious about Simon's downtempo work. Haven't looked back since. In fact I'd really like Simon, Youth and Saul Davies to get together once more and do a proper follow-up, though I won't hold my breath.

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,788 posts

shpongle or CELTIC CROSS?

shpongle is a portal, but is not the most representative of modern "psybient/psychill". It is much more experimental and energetic then most of the "psybient/psychill". Yet shpongle is masterpiece.

you shall try bandcamp, beatspace, psyshop, junodownload and beatport to find any music you need :) i am pretty sure shponge is there.

as for CELTIC CROSS i didn't manage to find it in google. Only the pirate sites are visible there. I got mine in mp3 many many years ago and it definetely was an important step for me to get involved with all this.

reality is a creation of your mind

Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering

Illuminated

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Celtic Cross, I'm not a big fan of Shpongle at all, I'm afraid! Not heard the Celtic Cross album but have heard many people rate it very highly so want to check it out. Will investigate all the usual places, I am quite happy to pay for it if it's a lossless download, but if not will get the CD!

=ҒLΦɎD=

=ҒLΦɎD=

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Celtic Cross, I'm not a big fan of Shpongle at all, I'm afraid! Not heard the Celtic Cross album but have heard many people rate it very highly so want to check it out. Will investigate all the usual places, I am quite happy to pay for it if it's a lossless download, but if not will get the CD!

I can feel you here!

I'm not a big fan of sphongle myself but Celtic Cross is way different, I don't compare it with sphongle at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users