Photo

When did you start listening to psybient / psychill music?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: When did you start listening to psybient / psychill music? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

When did you start listening to psybient / psychill music?

1. 1995-1996 (7 votes [12.73%])

Percentage of vote: 12.73%

2. 1997-1998 (6 votes [10.91%])

Percentage of vote: 10.91%

3. 1999-2000 (2 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

4. 2001-2002 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 2003-2004 (8 votes [14.55%])

Percentage of vote: 14.55%

6. 2005-2006 (6 votes [10.91%])

Percentage of vote: 10.91%

7. 2007-2008 (2 votes [3.64%])

8. 2009-2010 (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

9. 2011-2012 (10 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

10. 2013-2014 (2 votes [3.64%])

11. before 1995 (5 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

12. before 1990 (3 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Shpongle

Shpongle

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationOuter Shpongolia

Two completely different projects, Celtic Cross and Shpongle....by the way, Mystery Of The Yeti(Simon Posford) and Infinity Project(Raja Ram) are also two projects you should check out if you haven't yet

• Lorn likes this

Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost...

yiannis

yiannis

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationGreece

The title track from Hicksville and maybe Khatmandu are kind of Shpongley, but they're the only ones. The rest of the album takes on many forms. Jade Garden and Shwazz are the peak form me, but only marginally so. Darshannon I could have done without. I do love Shpongle though.

I've found both Mysteries of the Yeti to be hit and miss, not in whole tunes but in sections. Not too keen on the non-musical intro tracks. I love Mystical Experiences, though in the early internet days I bought it, I thought it would be a goa album. Best mistake of my life so far.

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,788 posts

i am preparing psybient anthology articles with a list of the most important releases +/- 1999-2005. Will probably propose you guys to colloborate on it, in case something is missing :)

• =ҒLΦɎD= likes this

reality is a creation of your mind

Gagarin

Gagarin

hippy with gadgets

• Administrators
  • 1,788 posts

article about Anjuna goa trance and even few words about psybient

http://djtechtools.c...each-goa-trance

reality is a creation of your mind

Shpongle

Shpongle

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationOuter Shpongolia

The title track from Hicksville and maybe Khatmandu are kind of Shpongley, but they're the only ones. The rest of the album takes on many forms. Jade Garden and Shwazz are the peak form me, but only marginally so. Darshannon I could have done without. I do love Shpongle though.

I've found both Mysteries of the Yeti to be hit and miss, not in whole tunes but in sections. Not too keen on the non-musical intro tracks. I love Mystical Experiences, though in the early internet days I bought it, I thought it would be a goa album. Best mistake of my life so far.

Those are probably my favourite tracks of Hicksville as well, Mystery Of The Yeti is good for what it's meant to be, it's one of those albums you have to listen from start to finish, not just one or two tracks, and i love Mystical Experiences as well, classic album for sure.

i am preparing psybient anthology articles with a list of the most important releases +/- 1999-2005. Will probably propose you guys to colloborate on it, in case something is missing :)

How about 1995 - 2014? :D  There could be a thread for all the members so that we could vote for our favourite albums of each year

Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost...

AnimalSpirit

AnimalSpirit

New community member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I guess I was listening to psychill before it even existed; as I was thinking about the topic, I remembered my reaction when first listening to Jean-Michel Jarre's Oxygene (1976) and later Equinox (1978) albums, in my opinion most of today's electronic music is derivative from these two album (could have mention Zoolook as well). From then on I was always looking for these atmospheres and layering in the music I was listening to, this is also when my eternal hunger for new music started and I'm still starving.....

My first contact with music labelled as psychill was like many others, thru Shpongle's Are you Shpongled?, specifically Divine Moments of Truth, the changes of pace throughout the song had a magical effect on me. It's very paradoxal that I discovered Children of the bong only last month..... it only shows how deep this scene is.

• yiannis, =ҒLΦɎD= and Lorn like this

=ҒLΦɎD=

=ҒLΦɎD=

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Children of the bong only last month..... it only shows how deep this scene is.

ow yes! 

Children of the Bong = awesome indeed!

'Sirius Sounds' is a massive LP!

I played that, soo many years ago, 'till my ears bleed :)

When i look at it now it was for me also a great discovery in psy/stoner music.

here's a link: http://www.discogs.c...ds/master/25779

• psydub likes this

tuculuxu

tuculuxu

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

I've been listening to ambient which was not designed to be specifically psybient (probably the name didn't really exist at the time), with artists such as Brian Eno, Klaus Schulze, Jean-Michel Jarre around 2007. Then someone made me discover Sphongle around 2011, instant hook as many here, never left it :-). Then I discovered all (or maybe not all I hope!) Posford work, amazing.

I guess I was listening to psychill before it even existed; as I was thinking about the topic, I remembered my reaction when first listening to Jean-Michel Jarre's Oxygene (1976) and later Equinox (1978) albums, in my opinion most of today's electronic music is derivative from these two album (could have mention Zoolook as well). From then on I was always looking for these atmospheres and layering in the music I was listening to, this is also when my eternal hunger for new music started and I'm still starving.....

My first contact with music labelled as psychill was like many others, thru Shpongle's Are you Shpongled?, specifically Divine Moments of Truth, the changes of pace throughout the song had a magical effect on me. It's very paradoxal that I discovered Children of the bong only last month..... it only shows how deep this scene is.

I guess when you say that all electronic music flows from these albums, that may be true, but why not go even before (Kraftwerk), or even before before (Stravinsky), or bef ... I guess there's a whole history of interdependence, evolution or music (there's a nice introduction by Wax Tailor on this topic: 'How shall I start a story that has no beginning?' )

Will try Children of the bong, thanks.

• AnimalSpirit likes this

Solaris

Solaris

New community member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUK

I first discovered this genre in 2010 when I stumbled up Psyamb's website and mixes.  :)

• Gagarin likes this

krass-linux

krass-linux

Illuminated

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

i start listening to psybient in 2003 when I landed by accident on a Goa party ... my first album was CBL - Hydroponic Garden.

Until 2003 I was a metalhead and my first album was in 1987 by Anthrax ... damn, that reminds me, I'm already 40 :blink:

andorra

andorra

Family of light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

I have to admit that I'm relatively new listener to psychill music. Only found out it's beauty and diversity no more than few years ago somewhere around 2012 and 2013.

Before this it was all about psy/goatrance and punk music since the 90's. I remember I was first introduced to goatrance somewhere around 1997.

But now it's definitely more about psychill :)

arakoon

arakoon

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

I started to buy cassettes and CDs at the age of 12. First my cassettes was Prodigy, Scooter and ATB. I had listen a lot of electronic music - House, D'n'B, Techno, Trance..

My house was connected to internet only in 2008 (and this is Moscow! :D )

I became a user of some russian psytrance forum, and here at the end of 2008 I had listen to psychill dj mixes for the first time.

But I didn't really enjoy this music, first I was amazed by Experimental Elecronic Music such as IDM, Breakcore, Glitch, and listened it till 2013.

Preparing tracklist to my first DJ-set in 2013 I started to understand that a lot of people wouldn't enjoy IDM at chillout stage, so I prepare some lounge, jazz and one track of Shpongle - Once Upon The Sea Of Blissful Awareness...

And when the track of Shpongle started at the big soundsystem, I've got a goosebumps and understanding what is pure psychedelic chillout is..

• Gagarin and andorra like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users