psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
yiannis

Has Russia got the most active psybient scene?

I should start off by saying that a lot of artists I enjoy come from Russia, like Chronos, AstroPilot, Koan, Eguana, Sacral Reason, Cosmic Replicant etc. Also Russian labels such as Microcosmos and Trimurti almost always succeed in delivering the goods. Finally, there seem to be plenty of parties with artists both from Russia and other parts of the world organised every weekend. Clearly, there must be demand for such parties, otherwise there wouldn't be so many of them. Sure the population of Russia is 143.5 million, but still psybient is a niche genre.

Compared to my own country, sure we have some great artists - you need only to look at Ultimae's Ambrosia compilation, as well as Liquid Seed's Seeds of Thought compilation, available through Ektoplazm - and a couple of people organising parties every now and again - with mainly Greek artists usually - but few people attend those parties. In short, these two countries are two different worlds.

Any people from (or who live/have lived in) Russia in the forum to describe the situation first hand? What is the psybient scene like in your countries? Can it compete with Russia?

Yeah, I agree about Eastern Europe, but only about the artists themselves. I'm discussing the overall scene here, including party size, attendance, frequency, as well as artists of course. I'd appreciate some insight into your country's scene - provided that there is one and you're at least aware of it. You being used in plural here. ;)

You forgot to mention Mystic Sound Records https://mysticsound.bandcamp.com/, btw we are planing to release 2 albums of Chronos in the upcoming months, 1 will be free. And also we plan to organise 6 events in upcoming club season, with some guests from other countries also.

Well, i can't compare our scene with other countries cause i haven't been on many of them - just couple of times visited and performed at European festivals several years ago. Buy all i can say - yes, we've developed and continue to develope the chillout stage in Russia. Several years ago i started to make a regular chillout parties and it became a good tradition, for other promoters also. We have a lot of talented producers here - not all of them are so popular but i'm sure world will hear the best from them soon. We have huge chillout stage almost at every psytrance party and at every big festival. We have nice chillout culture - with integration of art, dance, music and spiritual practice.

But we haven't huge chillout festival, like Samsara in Hungary this year.

Your country also has a great label delivering high quality chillout music - Cosmicleaf. And our friends from St. Petersburg, Microcosmos, will have pleasure to host Cosmicleaf label showcase at the festival soon, with Nick Side Liner.

If you want to know more about Russian chillout scene you are welcome to read Nick's Chronos articles in collaboration with Iurii here at psybient.org:

http://www.psybient.org/love/russia-psychedelic-downtempo-scene/

http://www.psybient.org/love/russia-psychedelic-downtempo-scene-part-2/

I'm sorry Maiia, of course, your label has offered some instant classics, like the Ethneomystica compilations, the Chronos releases and the Dhamika EP.

And I must say that I enjoy your music too. :) I was talking to Fishimself last year or a couple of years ago and when I asked him why he didn't invite Russian artists he said it's mainly a financial problem. Pity.

I used to adore Cosmicleaf, but I'm not too keen on their gradual moving away from psy and towards lounge. I'm sure I would enjoy Side Liner, Cydelix or Zero Cult live though. There was a CL party a year or two ago but I found out about it a week or so afterwards. :(

I wouldn't say Russia, but Eastern Europe does have some of the best artists, i'll give you that

Yes, I agree with it as well :)  For example in my origin country - Poland psybient scene has grew up slowly but regularly since mid 90`s.  Generally it was/ still is always joined with psytrance ( former goa trance) parties as alternative chillout ( second room) but some projects have arised indepently and are well known on international forum eg. Aural Planet, Sundial Aeon , Swen (Dzoncy) Stroop

There is also psy chillout society called Ashoka which organise chillout at the scene of events.

Thanks for the insight Jatab. I am aware of Ashoka, I've been drooling over their parties for a few years now. I love how they take things in their own hands and pictures from their parties are always blissful. Are they unique? Are there any similar groups in other countries?

Thanks yiannis :) In addition I would like to introduce one person who ( in my opinion) makes a lot to propagate psychedelic chillout in Poland, too -  Krzysztof Jaworski  aka Asphodel ( or Aszpen). He is DJ on polish psy scene since late 90`s where plays DJ`s sets and organise chillout area. At the same time he is DJ in polish local radio in ElblÄ…g ( radio EL) and has own radio shows from over 20 years with many kinds of chillout music eg. this one which is everyday (except Saturday) from 10 pm (UTC + 2 ) till midnight.

http://www.radioel.pl/?page=program&ShowOne=5411

Apart of dj`ing, he started to produce music, too. Below you can find his soundcloud profile

https://soundcloud.com/aszpen

Yes, I agree with it as well :)  For example in my origin country - Poland psybient scene has grew up slowly but regularly since mid 90`s.  Generally it was/ still is always joined with psytrance ( former goa trance) parties as alternative chillout ( second room) but some projects have arised indepently and are well known on international forum eg. Aural Planet, Sundial Aeon , Swen (Dzoncy) Stroop

There is also psy chillout society called Ashoka which organise chillout at the scene of events.

Same here, the psytrance scene was always big here in Portugal, we got some of the best festivals during the summer, but i feel like the "chillout/ambient^" scene is always left behind

Same here, the psytrance scene was always big here in Portugal, we got some of the best festivals during the summer, but i feel like the "chillout/ambient^" scene is always left behind

But what about Boom festival ? I think they care for chillout/ ambient scene a lot . eg.  ;)

as i know Boom is not "made in portugal". As most of the "big events" it is co-creation of many people and many countries. So one festival is not representing the state of "chillout" in the county.

I spoke recently with Zen Baboon guys, and they told me that "chillout" was present in parties since very very long time, we didn't discuss budgets etc. But as i understood it was something that was very important at events. Not sure if it is still like this. WIll have to ask them.

p.s. will write my comments about Russia / Ukraine chillout soon :)

as i know Boom is not "made in portugal". As most of the "big events" it is co-creation of many people and many countries. So one festival is not representing the state of "chillout" in the county.

Well-aimed comment. :)   I did not mention that before. You`re right - Portugal is just a place where the event happens. So I probably misuderstood what Shpongle was meaning ( about country`s state of "chillout"  in total ) and  `ve got it (Boom) as an exception :lol:

I have also noticed that so many good psybient/chill acts come from eastern parts of Europe. I've been thinking that maybe it has something to do with the musical culture they had/have in eastern Europe where they start teaching classical music instruments to children in very young age. Please correct me if I'm assuming wrong here, just my thoughts...

And also we plan to organise 6 events in upcoming club season, with some guests from other countries also.

Please let us know when and where these events take place and who's playing.

I'd love to visit Russia again since it's only few hours away from Helsinki and specially if there's a psybient/downtempo club event to visit! :)

Since we are part of eastern Europe and we have some pretty good downtempo artists, I can say that about Greece, I don't think it's because kids take up instruments at a young age. I don't have a proper explanation, but maybe it has to do with traditional music, which is to some degree influenced by middle eastern music, the fact that we are a generally hot country (i.e. we tend to slow down as the heat increases) and possibly nature - at least outside the big city centres. Again, I'm only guessing only about Greece, but the traditional music aspect could possibly apply to other countries too.

Everybody go to Russia!

Autumn season of indoors events is about to start, and due to the crisis Russia is very cheap now for foreigners...

Our psychill stage is utterly strong, come over to check out!

Boom everybody! I'm happy to share with you the article about the chillout scene in Russia. Tanya, thank you for helping with it;)
I don't pretend on the objective view, but i did my best to give you insight about the Russian chillout at a glance. Feel free to add if you have anything.

http://mystic-sound.com/what-is-going-on-with-the-chillout-scene-in-russia/

andorra,

i can't publish the exact plans because there is always a surprising ingredients in the good party, but we'll share the information minimum 1 month till the party date. Is it enough for your decision to come? All events will be always right in the heart of Moscow.