psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
psydub

The most trippy album you have heard

Hi, I'm curious to all of you psychedelic music heads as to the trippiest album. I think for me it would be Axis Bold As Love by Jimi Hendrix! After a couple of bowls it was bonkers! The layering of the guitars and the solos blew me away! As for the psybient side, I would say anything that Sphongle or Ott produces!

To begin with, I define trippy as crazy and deep. Generally speaking either Ozric Tentacles - Erpland (or anything by them for the matter) or Pleiadians - I.F.O. Psybient-wise I'd go for Shpongle's first or third album. I mean, when that 'Nothing is lost; everything changes into something else. Nothing is wrong, everything's on track..' McKenna sample comes on on ...But Nothing Is Lost after those mad effects and then the floaty synths.. if I ever heard that tripping I'd weep tears of joy and acceptance. I haven't listened to psybient under heavy psychedelics though and it's rather unlikely to happen.

I find Are You Experienced? the trippiest Hendrix album, and it's my favourite too. Third Stone from the Sun man, wow! Electric Ladyland is also up there in those terms, but slightly less focused IMO.

'Internal Activities' by Sattyananda

I was in the beginning of my psychedelic path and this trip took place in a bathroom, as far as I remember. 

Wow, that was mindblowing, you know, very Absolut-y album. 

Lying in the water with headphones on... oh my god!

But that was in the beginning, and the album is 100% highly recommended for psychedelic beginners, if you know what I mean%)

I've heard many albums since that moment, and yes, Shpongle masterpieces are wow trippy, but they are classically trippy, though the diversity of the worlds guys make us visit is untterly high

But this album - Internal Activities - keeps the leading position in my 'the trippiest album' chart.

At the same time experienced psytravellers could be not impressed with it as well, really, coz the album looks like 'ah, I've been here before' world

So if you are a beginner and reading this topic and would like to have a deep experience with the internal mind and body massage, then 'Internal Activities' could also become the trippiest album for you :)

in headphones only! Goes magic with yoga done simultaneously !

Will definitely check out all recommended albums! I have never tripped outside of eating hash brownies 1 time. But, more so looking for quality albums for smokers. Is the listening experience different from being stoned vs tripping? Also, as psybient is a form of psychedelic music. Was it intended for exclusively for psychedelic trips?

Will definitely check out all recommended albums! I have never tripped outside of eating hash brownies 1 time. But, more so looking for quality albums for smokers. Is the listening experience different from being stoned vs tripping? Also, as psybient is a form of psychedelic music. Was it intended for exclusively for psychedelic trips?

I've never tried hash brownies, and my experience with psychedelics is rather limited in terms of substances sampled and dosage - I've only had intense visual distortions and felt completely overwhelmed once. I've never done mushrooms properly and the psychedelic I've found the most intense was acid, so comparing stoned vs tripping, I'd say they can be a bit similar but tripping caused extremely, nearly incomparably enhanced audio perception every time, and often the emotional impact of the music was magnified. That's the audio aspect, the spiritual aspect is another topic altogether. As I've said in another thread, I've found that personally I can approximate the aural effect of acid using cannabis and alcohol. The amount of each component varies according to mood, how much I've eaten, the strength of each component and how it is spread over time, and I'm sure that the music itself can have all kinds of effects as well. I just know it when I get there.

With regards to your last question, if you're asking 'is psybient designed to be listened to on drugs?' my own answer would be definitely not. In the same way that psychedelics can be an, admittedly very fast, shortcut for meditational transcendence, focused intent on listening to every and all elements of psychedelic music at once (with closed eyes and in a relaxed pose) can produce quite similar feelings to listening to it on psychedelics. In other words, as has been said by many, music surely can be the drug. Tiredness tends to give me a push as well, but not when it's combined with frustration or upset and there are a number of techniques, such as food or sleep deprivation, that can bring about psychedelic effects. I personally tend to enjoy psybient at home sober the best lately.

On a last note, there were times when I was listening to music I love tripping, but as the trip was a bit too intense or negative, the music did not pull me out of it; instead I simply didn't enjoy it and in the overwhelming trip I mentioned before at some point it didn't even register - I heard it as unconnected noises.

So many trippy albums. I had many trips (mostly using shrooms) while listening to Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother. The whole album was intended for trippers I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e4yElcIx3s

Face A is wonderful. Another song that made me intensely trip is C.A. Quintet Trip Thru Hell. I heard it so many times that I'm accustomed to it, but there's still an effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI8Rer2S73c

Two other albums that I find really trippy (and politically charges as well) are the first two Zappa's albums The Mother of invention's Freak Out and We're only in it for the money. Those two albums are very psychedelic while lucid on the hippie movement and other political stakes of the times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ObY_fKJ37Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-9FX7bhESs

As for more recent albums, of course Hallucinogen, Shpongle or Ott albums are so great and psychedelic and all ... Not forgetting really trippy psytrance albums such as Psykovsky - Debut or Furious - supremacy, or (and I very much like this one) Procs - stuck in the oven with me.

https://beatspace-insomnia.bandcamp.com/album/furious-supremacy-technical-freaks-records

http://www.discogs.com/Procs-Stuck-In-The-Oven-With-Me/release/574060

Neven annoying, always changing, etc.

For me, I guess this is the one. Blew my mind back in the day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OofUj_TNgrc

In the days before YouTube and other sampling, I bought this album because of the universal praise it received. During the first listen I was wondering what the fuss was all about. Later listens have helped it grow on me a bit but I definitely need to be at a very particular state of mind to be able to appreciate any FSOL album. For me there's an all important question that needs to be answered before I can appreciate psychedelic stuff whose thinking is outside the box: where is the dividing line between experimental and disjointed? I find FSOL are almost always walking the imaginary tightrope of that line.

First of all, dividing lines exist only for them to be crossed! :D

"Lifeforms" creates a dreamy and weird place to be in and that feels pretty psychedelic to me. I usually enjoy listening to it while reading something, a sci-fi novel (eg. Martian Time-Slip) or a fantasy comic book (eg. The Sandman).

First of all, dividing lines exist only for them to be crossed! :D

"Lifeforms" creates a dreamy and weird place to be in and that feels pretty psychedelic to me. I usually enjoy listening to it while reading something, a sci-fi novel (eg. Martian Time-Slip) or a fantasy comic book (eg. The Sandman).

Sure, I mean, it's not like these lines are universally accepted and agreed on. I realise that what I consider too weird might not even be weird enough for someone else, it's a completely personal thing. Hope I didn't come across as patronising.

Since you mentioned reading, it's one of those things I can't do with music. I can only concentrate on one thing at a time.

I think Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians deserves an honorable mention. Made in 1978 and completely blew my mind when I heard it for the first time. Since then he has remained as one of my favourite composers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCkd46hcRag

If by "trippy" you mean music that kinda lifts you in another dimension, in other words psychedelic, I would definitely go for Entheogenic albums (love all of them, but especially the first two). And, of course, Are You Shpongled? and some subsequent single Shpongle's tracks.

Other trippy albums IMO:

- Subconscious by Phutureprimitive

- Folktronica and Prose Edda by Kurbeats/Yggdrasil

- Interabang by Supersillyus

- Endless Rhythms of The Beatless Heart by Shulman

- Vibradimensional Experience by The Flying Mars (stunning debut this year).

Though I love Ott's music, I wouldn't classify it as trippy.

Cheers

Alrightm since we're playing thread necromancy, how come nobdoy's mentioned Shulman? The intricacy and sheer amount of attention to musical detail always does the trick for me.

I did mention Shulman :)

Cheers