psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
yiannis

Where do you live?

I was wondering where the users of this forum live. I know Gagarin is based in Paris and Spinnet in Kalymnos. I've only been to Paris and London really, so I'd appreciate if you described your living environment in a bit of detail. Is it really urban, out in the middle of nowhere or something in between? Are you happy with where you live, or would like to be somewhere else?

Ι live in Stylida, a small town near Lamia. It's got a port and is near some nice beaches, built along a hill. Behind my house there's a small forest and I have quite a cool view of the surrounding bay. This is an enormous treat, as I spent my childhood in Athens and then London. My area was one of the last small town-like ones in the 80s, but come the 90s it turned into a very urban place, with high rise buildings everywhere. London was infinitely better than Athens of course, with a lot more green - not to mention all sorts of cultural stimuli. Nowadays I can't stand Athens for longer than three days, I find the buildings oppressive and when it's cloudy everything is grey. It's also too noisy for my liking. I reckon I could live in London alright, provided I got a job.

Your turn :)

That's a nice idea.

I used to live in Paris, but after spending a while in Laos, I couldn't stand it anymore. Athens is grey, you should try Paris, the sky is always grey.

Living in Montpellier, South of France right now, in a house with chickens, nice garden. The city is great: old (around the 11th century) student town, very living, nearby the sea (although not directly on the coast), mountains nearby, great weather, much less expensive than Paris. Less culture of course, but the supply is way enough not to get bored by places and not to meet always the same people, so there's anonymity as well. There's even a psytrance (with even a psychill side) scene which makes it even better.

I'm coming back from a buddhist retreat in that nice temple, one hour from Montpellier. Feel full of love for the world (despite the recent attacks in Paris ...).

Your place sounds really pleasant tuculuxu. It's a bit far from Paris, where I'm assuming most of the cultural action is, but the way you describe it, it compensates for that in other ways. Both the temple and the surrounding nature look very beautiful.

I live in Asheville, North Carolina on the east coast of the USA. It's a nice mid sized city in the Appalachian mountains that seems to be a little cultural island of more liberal minded people surrounded by a sea of what you might call typical Americans. The mountains here are pretty and offer some great mountain biking trails and rock climbing in the area, which are the main recreational activities here.

There is a growing electronic music scene here but still lacking in the psychill arena in my opinion. We'll get a Desert Dwellers or a Kalya Scintilla or a Kaminanda set every now and then but there's not a ton of variety for psy acts, what mostly comes here seems to lean more towards bass/EDM/party music.. the kind of music that brings out the "bros" if you know what I mean.

I'd say I'm happy living here but I can't help but get super jealous of the psychedelic scene/festivals in Europe and Russia, and the beautiful scenery of the east makes me wish I could travel way more.

There is a growing electronic music scene here but still lacking in the psychill arena in my opinion. We'll get a Desert Dwellers or a Kalya Scintilla or a Kaminanda set every now and then but there's not a ton of variety for psy acts, what mostly comes here seems to lean more towards bass/EDM/party music.. the kind of music that brings out the "bros" if you know what I mean.

I would think that one of the reasons there's not enough psychill action in the US is that there seem to be relatively fewer artists in the genre compared to Europe. No doubt your last comment is the main reason though.

Your place sounds like it offers the best of both worlds, city and countryside, and the fact that the residents are open minded is always a huge bonus.

I'm from Portugal, i live in the western part of the Lisbon Metropolitan Area, by the shore...i'm like 10m away form the beach...we have great weather, it can be too hot in the summer for some tourists though :D it's a big city but it's not your typical "urban" city, it's not a noisy, overcrowded city like Lisbon...

Some pics, the harbour, one of the beaches, vinyards, palace

12_porto_de_recreio_de_oeiras.jpg

P1010373.jpg

pa160496.jpg

Palacio_Marques_de_Pombal.jpg

1024px_Cascata_dos_Poetas.jpg

I have mountains near by, beaches, also some Roman/Arab monuments/bridges, palace, a fort...

I've travelled to most of Europe, Dominican Republic and the US(East Coast), also lived in the US for a couple of years....but there's no place like home ;)

.. the kind of music that brings out the "bros" if you know what I mean.

Can you explain that a bit more?  I grew up raving to (happy) hardcore in the uk early 90s and I liked how inclusive the scene was.  It sounds like you do not wish to attend events with these people?  I kinda like some popular stuff at times - for instance I think the Skrillex/Justin Bieber track is decent!  The bassline is fire I reckon - those beats are treats to my ears

Can you explain that a bit more?  I grew up raving to (happy) hardcore in the uk early 90s and I liked how inclusive the scene was.  It sounds like you do not wish to attend events with these people?  I kinda like some popular stuff at times - for instance I think the Skrillex/Justin Bieber track is decent!  The bassline is fire I reckon - those beats are treats to my ears

well this more mainstream EDM music that I speak of is not inherently bad and it can be fun, it's just kind of superficial and lacking depth and any kind of contemplative/inner space/spiritual aspect that I enjoy about psychedelic music, and it seems to attract the same kind of people that also lack depth and are only in it for themselves and just want to get as drunk and high as possible and party till they drop, a la college frat bros. sorry if I sound like a snobby asshole here, I don't wish to generalize an entire scene and pretend that everyone is like this or that these are even bad people, to each their own and all that, it's just not the kind of scene I want to be around all the time. but that's just me.

Great topic idea Yiannis

I live here 

https://vimeo.com/143518564

Guernsey in the Channel Islands, close to the French coast.

It's TINY! That vid shows off the beautiful scenery but actually makes the place look bigger than it is (30 sq miles/ 78 sq Km) 

I love it here, but luckily get off the rock quite often which stops me from going stir crazy.  

Those photos look great, Shpongle, beautiful place. And Flexagon, the vimeo video took ages to load, but boy was it worth it! Those waters! The video with the music warmed my heart. 

Interesting that three of us already live near the coast. I was actually expecting more urban dwellers. Hopefully more people will answer so that we can get a clearer picture.

Those photos look great, Shpongle, beautiful place. And Flexagon, the vimeo video took ages to load, but boy was it worth it! Those waters! The video with the music warmed my heart. 

Interesting that three of us already live near the coast. I was actually expecting more urban dwellers. Hopefully more people will answer so that we can get a clearer picture.

Post some pics Yiannis;)   I used to be all about big cities, but the older i get the more difficult for me is to live on a crowded place...if i have the chance i still want to move up north to rural Portugal though ;) All my life i lived by the coast, i think it's a privilege to be honest...but even though i live close to the beach i rarely go there, .it gets way too crowded, i rather drive a bit, so i'm all about "Secluded/hidden" all natural beaches, it's all about being in touch with nature.... these are two of the beaches

praia_da_ursa_1.jpg

rc5.jpg

Post some pics Yiannis;) 

I would, but there aren't any big enough online and I don't even have a camera on my mobile phone. :ph34r: Sorry. Anyone interested can look Stylida up on Google images, but you won't get a proper view.

I would, but there aren't any big enough online and I don't even have a camera on my mobile phone. :ph34r: Sorry. Anyone interested can look Stylida up on Google images, but you won't get a proper view.

Fair enough ;), always wanted to go to Greece

I live in a valley 2 miles from the North Coast of Cornwall in the UK.  Cornwall is in the South West corner of UK, about 5 hours from london on the train. 

Cornwall is a pretty area and is beautiful in the summer.  Beaches, cliffs and moorland but it's a bit over popular with tourists in the summer.  Not much going on down here in terms of music though and i'm getting itchy feet again and really fancy checking out and hopefully playing at a few european psychill festivals next year now that I've got a funky live set again.

I've lived in Birmigham, Sheffield, Devon, Somerset so far. Devon my favourite so far.

I live in  Moscow region and I want to visit you all friends!

Let's make something like psybient couchsurfing! Couchsurf psybienting!

Shpongle, can I come to your place first? :))

I live in  Moscow region and I want to visit you all friends!

Let's make something like psybient couchsurfing! Couchsurf psybienting!

Shpongle, can I come to your place first? :))

Glad you like my city ;) post some pics Tanya, i think Russia is a beautiful country as well...if you like going to the beach and great summer weather you would love it here :D