psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Gagarin Project

(VOTES OPEN) psybient.org - Best of the year 2015

update (08/01/2015):

BEST OF THE YEAR POLL IS OPEN => http://www.psybient.org/love/best-of-2015/

-------------------

Friends,

we will be running best of the year poll as we did last year already, we want to start it around 10th january  and to keep it open more less 1-2 months (if not enough votes will be made, it can be extended)

1) it will be similar as we did last year, a google docs form with questions and options to answer

2) if you have idea how to make it better please propose !

Read questions / categories from last year and let us know which one you don't like to answer and which would you like to add to make it more interesting

here is last year poll => http://2014.psybient.org/

3) we are looking for 10-20 volunteers that will be able to help us with a communication around this poll, each volunteer will receive a list of artist to contact to notify them that we are running a poll and his release is in the "competition". Get in touch with me via email 'c ont act @ psybient.org' (without spaces).

i understand that some artist will ask VOTE for me, 

a) but it will happen anyway (some artist will do this) so at least all artists will be in same conditions of being aware 

B) it is easy to "spot" (to notice) those "fake" posts because people don't take time to answer well questions, and just put same artist in answers.

I am open for suggestions and you can post them directly here.

2015withtext.jpg

My two cents. We can nominate only those artists, who were in top 3 of the week poll, as there are a lot of irrelevant to psybient albums in week releases. This will significantly decrease the total number of albums (last year it was a nightmare), and increase the effectiveness of the poll.

The second cent, I don't really understand the purpose of contacting artists, even you accept that it may lead to unfair competition from various artists. Maybe it's worth notifying them once it's completed? Present them with a fait accompli, so to speak.

My two cents. We can nominate only those artists, who were in top 3 of the week poll, as there are a lot of irrelevant to psybient albums in week releases. This will significantly decrease the total number of albums (last year it was a nightmare), and increase the effectiveness of the poll.

The second cent, I don't really understand the purpose of contacting artists, even you accept that it may lead to unfair competition from various artists. Maybe it's worth notifying them once it's completed? Present them with a fait accompli, so to speak.

1) i think it is unfair to limit only to poll winners, some weeks we were 2-3 member of forum to participate, what if we missed something ?

2) i see your point, however it is also unfair if one artist will promote his participation in the poll and others will not even know about it.

many artist don't know about this website and forum, so sooner or later would be nice to contact and notify them about us.

and if artist advertise the running poll, his listeners will discover this project and as result will discover other artist .

if we notify artist after the poll finished, he might not advertise poll so less people will discover this.

this will require a lot of energy, but i think this boost will be positive.

peres,

we don't have many volunteers for this, if you can help with this communication will be awesome :)

1. True. Still there are rarely 3 albums per week which worth listening (no offense producers, we all have bad days (albums)). Some weeks there are 5, but what are the odds that album was unnoticed during the week poll and get to the top during year poll? You have to admit, nearly zero. Maybe you can add them "underneath the mat", if one thinks an unnoticed album should get more attention, he can always get it from there. Just pondering over...

2. Unfortunately, you are right here as well. Moreover, this will never be fair as some artists have fan base and some don't (some more, some less). Even if the one who doesn't better than the one who does, he will lose anyway. And I don't even mention the level of shyness, promotion, media and luck factors.

So how to find the most fair balance? My answer: Jury. Unbiased musicians or DJs, who know psybient well enough, running shows, supporting community, etc... like you are! Jury, whose opinion people can trust. This will resolve many problems and justice will be served.

Yuri,

I'm always happy to help. Just consider what I said above first, maybe there's another workaround.

Peres, 

i understand your point and they are very interesting:

1. unfortunately often there was only 2-3 "voters" for best of the week. it happened few times that i have heard only 1 album from the week and voted for it, but didn't even check any other album.

for instance i hope that in 1 year we will have much more active forum and that will protect us from missing something important. 

2. i would like to have as much attention, as much participants as possible this year, and with this push gather more people around the project. Maybe this will help us to have a team and a jury for next polls. 

Ultimae Records is missing under "label of the year" ;)

you are correct, somehow we missed 3 of Ultimae releases, and without them Ultimae had less then 5 releases and was not "eligable" to be nominated.

i am checking with team the situation. meanwhile i added Ultimae to the poll. if i will have time, i will propose to all people (29) who voted already to add "ultimae" label and missing releases to they selection.

thank you for checking for this.

I've voted. Loved the chance to vote for as many releases as I pleased for one more year. As I wrote in the label comments, Altar is my all-time favourite label to this day due to their consistency in delivering from good to excellent (to my taste of course) releases, but Mystic Sounds was very good this year too. Last year it was mostly dub/psystep releases that got the top spots and self-released seemed the way to go. Let's see if these trends persist.

Not quite. In fact it was Gagarin that suggested separate categories and I merely agreed  :)  It was cool regardless, it made it easier to remember releases that way for me. It can't stress this enough though: the fact that I could vote for as many releases as I wanted and didn't have to narrow it down to 10-20 was a huge plus. Hopefully I'll give something back by helping out with the vote counting and stuff. :)

what is your favourite compilation of last year ?

here is part of my selections :
Chilling Dragon Tales [ Forestdelic Records ], Essentials Vol. 2 [ Nutek Chill ], Organic Beats Vol. 4 [ Altar Records ], Peace + Love [ Microcosmos Records ], Vajra Mind [ Desert Trax ]

votes are open => 2015.psybient.org :)

Mainly Organic Beats 4 (Altar), Original Knowledge (Mystic Sound), Microcosmos Chill-out 2 (Microcosmos) and Strange-Eyed Constellations (Disco Gecko), but also Nomad Ambient 1 (Nomad), Uxmal Chill 01 (Uxmal), Chilling Dragon Tales (Forestdelic Records) and Cosmic Temple (Visionary Shamanics). I need to listen to the last two you mentioned Gagarin, as I generally enjoy Microcosmos a lot and I've started getting a bit more into Desert Dwellers and related near the end of the year.