psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Gagarin Project

Questions to producer and answers

as platonicliquid suggested :

"I would love to see more music production resources and discussions, perhaps we could commission some 'master classes' with psybient producers? "

i propose to post here questions related to production (techniques, howto, vst to use, etc) - and we contact artist to propose them to answer. 

I'm interested to hear how you guys start a new track. Where do you start and what's the process to build the track to complete?

Usually I start with a concept or an idea of an arrangement, and then get some sounds together. If it's an Ascendant track, we almost always have a conceptual idea down first, and then try to realize that through passing a Live session back and forth and then I'll start to create an arrangement based on the parts we've got and then we fine-tune.

The main thing I find is that if I have an idea or concept, it's getting to the emotional core - that feeling you want to have when you're listening to the track - and then don't let go once you have it until it's done.

I'm interested to hear how you guys start a new track. Where do you start and what's the process to build the track to complete?

I often start with inspiration from a track i've really enjoyed recently, and I set about trying to recreate a thing I like from that, be it the groove, a particular type of sound design, style of drumming or whatever..  the process of getting that down usually leads to more experimentation and ideas and it flows from there, usually sounding nothing like the track I set about imitating.  

Generally I'll try get a 16 bar loop of drums, bass, and synth befoer I move on.  Then I'll try changing the synths or bass. get a few different versions down and pick the best one.  Usually scrap a lot of things that weren't good enough.  

So generally its heavily based around experimentation! Ocassionally I have an idea and plan a track from start to finish before i start, but thats pretty rare

I tend to work on lots of tracks for several years rather than starting and finishing one and then moving on to another.  This gives time for new inspiration for directions to take these tracks, and allows improvements in my skills to be reflected in all tracks rather than just the most recent.  

I'm in no way near having tracks worthy of release. But what I do at this point is start with a 4 to 8 bar loop. Once I have something I like, the track building process flows from that.

I usually build up some sort of textural sound just to have something to work around. Then add rhythmic synth sounds, percussion, then drums, then bass. All in an 8 or 16 bar loop.

Then leave for a while.

Come back to it. Remove the crap bits. Work on the loop some more until it's grooving.

Leave for a while.

Come back to it. Be very critical about what works and what doesn't. When I am satisfied that the core of the track is worth expanding on I will set up very rough sections and jam different synths etc onto different sections.

Leave for a while.

Come back to it. Be very critical about the crap parts again.

Start to blend the different sections into one full arrangement.

Start mixing the track (production, eq,compression etc).

Add more parts.

Leave for a while.

Come back. Be very critical again.

On the first listen through for a while you immediately know what works and what doesn't. Have confidence in your judgement.

Add all the topping off parts. Fx sweeps, backwards crashes etc...

Bus tracks to group buses. Compress widen eq at bus level.

When you can listen to the track all the way through without reaching for an eq or feeling the need to fiddle with anything then you know you're done..

I often start with inspiration from a track i've really enjoyed recently, and I set about trying to recreate a thing I like from that, be it the groove, a particular type of sound design, style of drumming or whatever..  the process of getting that down usually leads to more experimentation and ideas and it flows from there, usually sounding nothing like the track I set about imitating.

That basically sums it up!