psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Fils-des-etoiles

Let's write together the "Psybient" Wikipedia article

Hey dreamers !

I was consulting the wikipedia article about "psychedelism", in which I add the psybient comunity in the french version.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psych%C3%A9d%C3%A9lisme

I noticed there is no article about Psybient, just a link to ambient music which include Psybient.

What do you think about writing one together ?

:)

previously there was a dedicated article in english wiki, but for some reason it was fused in "ambient".

an article would be very nice of course, and i was thinking about it many times. 

However is pretty complex, i feel that i lack of knowledge to write it, but i can definitely contribute.

what can be done is a google doc article that we all work on, and once it is ready we publish it on wikipedia and from there we continue at wiki.

i made a file, this will be easier to work with then wikipedia.  It is empty now, so go ahead if you have ideas for the structure etc. If some info is missing add comment about it, we can ask somebody to finalise

=> https://docs.google.com/document/d/12uL0WBIGkT9pNl-I70bpG5EKNmQEQ8i24vi8LhMktB4/edit?usp=sharing

p.s. i don't see anything about psybient community in french version :) can you give a link ?

even the simple question is there difference between "psybient" and "psychill" is not that easy to answer.

i was asking it in "5 questions interview" series and most of people were saying there is no difference.

=> http://www.psybient.org/love/category/articles/interviews/

That 'd be interesting. I don't think I'm actually qualified to write the whole thing, but I can certainly contribute ideas. I think the hardest part would be prehistory/early history. Some of the lists here can be helpful too, like the articles about Russia and Brazil. Maybe I'll have a think about it over the holidays.

I think I'll take a basis on another article and start something, Thank you for the shared file :)

Here is the article of psychedelism in french, I added the 2 last sentences, can be improved :

La psytrance est la branche du mouvement psychédélique associée à la trance. Elle est caractérisée par un rythme rapide et des basses fortes, sans interruption, sans changement et recouvertes par beaucoup d'autres rythmes. Ses principaux berceaux sont Goa en Inde, le JaponIsraël et l'Europe. Plus récemment, un mouvement lié à la Psytrance s'est développé en utilisant des sonorités similaires, à un tempo 2 à 3 fois plus lent : le psybient. Ces deux mouvement prônent souvent des valeurs spirituelles et écologiques.

even the simple question is there difference between "psybient" and "psychill" is not that easy to answer.

i was asking it in "5 questions interview" series and most of people were saying there is no difference.

=> http://www.psybient.org/love/category/articles/interviews/

As you know, usually there are 2 dancefloors at psychedelic parties – the main and the chill out.

So I think that all kind of meditative and relax music played on the chill out dancefloor we can call PsyChill.

I think that PsyChill is the genre of music that includes Psybient, PsyDub and PsyDowntempo styles, and even some PsyBreaks, PsyRock and Psy-Progressive Trance tracks.

What do you think? Am I wrong?)

Interesting. I think psychedelic downtempo is the umbrella term, with psychill being the (general) variety with beats, psybient the beatless. However psybient is often used as the umbrella term. I claim no authority about this distinction, it's just the way I view it.

Interesting. I think psychedelic downtempo is the umbrella term, with psychill being the (general) variety with beats, psybient the beatless. However psybient is often used as the umbrella term. I claim no authority about this distinction, it's just the way I view it.

But musicians doesn't think a lot about styles, they just create a great music. We need to think about it, if we want the wiki article) By the way in russian wiki there is such article, but not very informative, just some univocal things)

But musicians doesn't think a lot about styles, they just create a great music.

Totally agree about this. I don't what to sound like a genre nazi.It's just for the sake of description and getting across what the music sounds like.

http://www.toucanmusic.co.uk/articles/chillout.php

Chillout was originally a term used to describe a room within a club for taking a break from the hectic beats. Now it can also be used to describe a broad range of music; mainly downtempo electronica.

The problem is a lack of articles about PsyChill, we are listening to a very underground music)

Well when I see more than 1 000 000 views on some youtube psybient mixes, can we call that "underground" ??? ;-)

That's a fair point, though it's unclear how many views are by the same people. However, I'm not sure the term underground even has any meaning in terms of music anymore. It used to mean music few people knew about and listened to but in this day and age the vast majority of recorded music is available one way or another. I do think it's rather ignored by the conventional media and most promotion comes from social media, which are not as "prestigious" and therefore far-reaching as magazines, printed or online. I guess there's not much to sensationalise in this music and there's no distinct culture I can discern, so not much selling power. To be honest I like the cosy feeling I get from being in a relatively small group of fans every time I go out to psybient parties, but I would definitely like to read more about the music, artists, party organisers, decorators and whoever else might be involved in the scene. They say be the change you want to see; it might be time to put this into practice....

this music is to subtle to become mainstream, however i believe we can make it grow a bit, spread the vibe and make the good base for future generations of artists and listeners.

right now we are on the rising wave, we have festivals, downtempo only events, downtempo only producers and dj's.

we have a news website and a forum.

if we help each other, we can grow it a bit more.

PsyChill is a very intelligent music.

In one track we can hear: field recordings, synts (a lot of psy sounds, not industrial), live instrumets (acoustic guitar, flute, tribal percussion, indian instrumets), vocal or matra and some samples from films.

In some rare psy-progressive tracks we can hear it too (Tetrameth - Psychological Pyrotechnics for example), but for me its very hard to listen all this 4x4 kicks at 140-150 bpm, I can't relax and meditate with these music.

here is screenshot of an old in wikipedia article, that i found in "psybient pack dvd 5". I plan to do interview with a person who did this old "pirate" release,  i believe, influenced heavily popularity of psychill music.

there was already article in wikipedia, can somebody investigate what happened and why it was deleted ?

Psybient (wikipedia.org).jpeg

I've just thought Gagarin is right, since this article is available, it might be easier to find out why it was removed and, if possible, simply re-upload it. I haven't had a look at it since it was posted here, but iirc it was pretty accurate. Is anyone a Wikipedia member here?