psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Yango

How to make some sounds? downtempo sounds!

I'm looking forward to make some sounds and I like one in particular, but dunno how is made or the ways that can be made... is this one

Like the wubble sound... (like the alien at the movie) 

There's a lot of sounds going on it that so not sure if you are referring to one in particular, they're mostly a standard set of psychedelic 'squelches'

These sounds are generally made with saw waves, and band pass filtering with lots of resonance. 

What synth(s) do you have?  Here's a tutorial to make the basic psytrance squeak on sylenth, a good place to start. 

You can push different synth in different ways to get better or more varied squelches.. ring modulation, formant filtering..  I could give you a few tricks for a Virus and could give you a patch using the Bitwig polysynth. 

Yeah thanks 

There's a lot of sounds going on it that so not sure if you are referring to one in particular, they're mostly a standard set of psychedelic 'squelches'

These sounds are generally made with saw waves, and band pass filtering with lots of resonance. 

What synth(s) do you have?  Here's a tutorial to make the basic psytrance squeak on sylenth, a good place to start. 

You can push different synth in different ways to get better or more varied squelches.. ring modulation, formant filtering..  I could give you a few tricks for a Virus and could give you a patch using the Bitwig polysynth. 

That was the sound I was looking for well not the sound but at least the "Therm" coz' I didn't know the name of it.. thanks again

I'm looking forward to make some sounds and I like one in particular, but dunno how is made or the ways that can be made... is this one

Like the wubble sound... (like the alien at the movie) 

For the record, I remember hearing that those squelchy sounds in literally every Quanta tune are usually from a vintage MS-20, which has 2 awesome filters... But it shouldn't be hard to get a very similar similar sound out of any synth with a couple filters in series, and a whole lot of reverb. 

Probably the best software emulation of the Ms20 filters I have come across is Cytomic the Drop... worth checking out if you haven't already!

I'm not a huge fan of The Drop, but I bought it a while back because I really needed something like it.  I way, way prefer Fabfilter Volcano as a "go-to" filter plug, and I'll probably buy that when I have cash.  But IMO the Drop MS filters sound very different than the MS20 we have here...

The MS20 is a really weird piece of kid to imitate I think actually.  I'm not an analog purist at all, but it's a really messed up synth, it's quite noisy, it's unpredictable, it's really an embodiment of what everyone means when they say "analogy," I think.  I use DIVA a lot, which has emulation of MS20 oscs and filters (which are better than The Drop to me), but the hardware unit has its own bizarre thing going on.  It's not even good bizarre half the time - I don't turn it on much because it's just noisy and if I want "analog + weird" I'd rather boot up the modular anyways.  But it's special. 

But... yeah, running a low pulse/Saw and/or some ringmod osc into HP -> LP, with maybe some filter FM, is just gnarly in all the right ways. 

Maybe I'll give The Drop another try today, its been a while and it does some stuff really well. 

I don't find the semi modular set up of the Ms20 particularly intuitive. There's a few routings I know how to use but I don't go particularly far into thatside of it . I just clear the leads (on the software) as there are modulation options aplenty anyway.

Whilst we're on the subject of gnarly analog synths...I do like the imposcar. Sits well in a mix and does a lovely range of sounds very well.

If you haven't tried that matt freak f I would really recommend it.