psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
floyd2.0

Soundcloud going bust?

would be a shame to lose it, but as long as bandcamp still exists I wouldn't be too devastated. Unfortunately I think the days of free music services like Soundcloud are numbered, and paid subscription services like Spotify will eventually be all that's left. I hope I'm wrong about that but that's the nature of the capitalism beast.

Was reading about this yesterday, it's a shame though...it's a great way for new musicians to share their work, i have some friends with profiles on Soundcloud...i'm not a fan of Spotify or any other streaming website, i'm just not a fan of streaming music, but always found Soundcloud to be a little different....thanks to Soundcloud i discovered In:terlarken :wub:

Was reading about this yesterday, it's a shame though...it's a great way for new musicians to share their work, i have some friends with profiles on Soundcloud...i'm not a fan of Spotify or any other streaming website, i'm just not a fan of streaming music, but always found Soundcloud to be a little different....thanks to Soundcloud i discovered In:terlarken :wub:

I agree, no fan of streaming music.

Soundcloud was built on the premise of artists being able to share their music...not a service that only plays already released music.

Since our little genre is so unique and small, perhaps a service like DI.FM could attach a soundcloud area to its services. I don't know how that would work, but I'm sure there are smarter people then me who could figure it out.

Bandcamp is wonderful but it doesn't have the same features as Soundcloud. In the beginning, it was the groups that soundcloud was so useful. An incredible way to get exposed to and be exposed to thousands of people across the globe.

It would be a big loss for many artists, labels and fans if soundcloud would go down.

For me soundcloud has been the best way to get my music out there and make connections with other producers and music fans.

The article handles only financial problems soundcloud is facing. It seems that they have just grown too fast in shot period of time...

It also says that "average wage per employee for that year totalled €79,980"  and if that is true I don't really wonder why there are financial problems... That's a lot for average wage!

This article covers few more reasons besides the financial problems why soundcloud might be going down some day... http://www.factmag.com/2016/02/11/five-reasons-why-soundcloud-might-be-doomed/

We'll see... I truly hope they can figure it out and keep up and running in the future.

Totally agree with Andorra, if soundcloud fails then it is a potential big loss for many artists, labels and fans. Like Andorra I've been a big user of soundcloud both as an artist, a DJ and a music fan.

I signed up with soundcloud and mixcloud just as the copyright issues where becoming a problem for DJ mixes, so I've always kept to original material on SC and my mixes on mixcloud. Have seen posts from VERY upset DJs with big followings that have had their accounts with 1,000s of followers deleted with no warning. 

A lot of people seem keen on bandcamp as an alternative, which it sort of is. Bandcamp is good at many things, but it's not social at all which is where soundcloud works so well.

Just in case things do go pear shaped with SC I've made accounts with yungcloud (mainly US EDM and hiphop music on there at the mo) and orfium (which may exist purely to try and nab the youtube/ streaming rights for small artists, be careful with their "tick-boxes" and options Creative Commons people!) But they are both startups and I'd assume a long way away from any kind of critical mass. If SC does disappear who knows what will actually appear online to fill the gap?

if soundcloud goes bust it will have a big impact on my musical life!

i think it is the best engine for getting to know new artists & as a DJ it's my favorite platform.

soundcloud have had some issues with copyright and stuff, that is true, but still, it's a great platform.

mixcloud is OK, but, like Gagarins said; the interface sux big time & i have the impression it's not a good platform for psybient music.

bandcamp seems to me the best alternative for new music and artists, but indeed, as flexagon says, it's not social at all, and that is an important element in music!

i reciieved a mail from Orfium, but i don't know about it yet, it's all new, so i think i'll watch it for a while and decide later what i'm gonna do with it.

anyone any idea if redit is a good platform?

The truth is there is no single go-to platform that covers all our needs. For me, Soundcloud was good for finding new & upcoming artists but it's not so easy anymore. As for mixsets/podcasts, I much prefer Mixcloud, gives you no trouble at all, has an interface structured around mixsets (tracklisting, suggestions, trending charts, tags etc). 

anyone any idea if redit is a good platform?

Reddit is like a hub for posting links to other sites, so it wouldn't be very good in terms of a soundcloud replacement as you can't upload music directly to Reddit.

It can be useful for finding new music on other sites though. The Psybient subreddit is one of the main sources I check when I compile the weekly releases updates that Maia makes the polls from, check it out here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Psybient

I would be sad to see Soundcloud go.  I used to pay the subscription (3 euro per month) but after a couple of years the copyright started to bite and I couldn't upload most dj mixes I wanted to without getting them rejected. So I cancelled my subscription as is was useless to me.    Since then I have had more luck getting mixes uploaded, avoiding tracks in the mix that are more likely to trip the copyright issue.

Anyway, now the subscription to Pro is around 10 euro per month ($16 AU) and I find that a bit steep.  If it was cheaper I'd re-subscribe now, I think.

I would be sad to see Soundcloud go.  I used to pay the subscription (3 euro per month) but after a couple of years the copyright started to bite and I couldn't upload most dj mixes I wanted to without getting them rejected. So I cancelled my subscription as is was useless to me.    Since then I have had more luck getting mixes uploaded, avoiding tracks in the mix that are more likely to trip the copyright issue.

Anyway, now the subscription to Pro is around 10 euro per month ($16 AU) and I find that a bit steep.  If it was cheaper I'd re-subscribe now, I think.

Same reason I dropped my subscription....mixes were randomly taken down for copyright reasons. No remedy. Oh well, I guess they really weren't for DJ's to begin with anyway.

Mixcloud is ok, but I prefer youtube to be honest, as it allows me to combine video/visualization with the mix. I think that is the way of the future for dj mixes. If mixcloud would allow video that would be awesome!

"SoundCloud Will Become a Paid Service ‘Within 9 Months,’ Sources Say"

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/03/07/breaking-soundcloud-subscription-service-6-9-months-away/

Seems to me they have at least some people paying for the pro level. Not all 175 million (which seems a bit unbelievable to me) are using it for free.

I certainly can understand the issues for them though, especially from the server side. Storing all them tunes is not free. Frankly, I don't see how Mixcloud can continue to do it either.

some more info on 'the beginning of the end of Soundcloud'

SoundCloud has become a popular punching bag for the music press. 
The formula runs something like this: choose a screaming headline predicting the company’s doom, 
run some out-of-context business numbers and some negative quotes by an unnamed source, then (presumably) rake in clicks.

How bad is it? Well, bad enough that FACT chose to run two articles on the same day.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2016/03/inside-soundcloud-the-move-to-revenue-begins/?utm_content=buffer70d5a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

some more info on 'the beginning of the end of Soundcloud'

SoundCloud has become a popular punching bag for the music press. 
The formula runs something like this: choose a screaming headline predicting the company’s doom, 
run some out-of-context business numbers and some negative quotes by an unnamed source, then (presumably) rake in clicks.

How bad is it? Well, bad enough that FACT chose to run two articles on the same day.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2016/03/inside-soundcloud-the-move-to-revenue-begins/?utm_content=buffer70d5a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Just for once I'd like to see honesty valued rather then the rampant lies and deceit used for gain in pretty much every facet of life these days.

yeah well here we have it: Soundcloud Go.

https://blog.soundcloud.com/2016/03/29/introducing-soundcloud-go/

"SoundCloud Go is the same SoundCloud you’ve known for years taken to the next level: with an expanded catalog of tracks that are new to the platform, new features and new functionality."

Or is it just money grabbing?

Read this one too:

http://www.youredm.com/2016/03/31/people-already-fighting-soundclouds-new-changes/

"In the past 48 hours, reactions to the service have been overwhelmingly mixed, but it seems the majority is negative."