psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
andorra

Delays in psybient production

I've been using Variety of Sound NastyDLY (A classic chorus echo device with tape-delay simulation) a lot and I find using it almost in every track. Good delay for free.

Usually the basic ping-pong setup to create more width and in some cases I put some FX behind that to create a little movement.

Also have Waves Manny Marroquin Delay (freebie from Waves) but somehow don't use it so much..

Would like to hear what delays you guys are using and if there's some worth trying out!

Valhalla FreqEcho is surprisingly useful; I've had it for less than a month and I'm getting a ton of milage out of it already.  And, it's 100% free!  I find it takes real-time tweaking super well...  It's good at making warped, scintillating sounds out of mundane inputs.  If I have any secret weapons, it's probably going to be one of them.  

This is going to sound lame but I find Logic's Stereo Delay great for 90% of my echo needs.  Separate crossfeed and feedback controls are great, along with programable inputs (i.e. you can make the right channel route to the left delay and vice-versa, and then each can crossfeed back to the other as the delays trail off).  

U-He Satin has a delay mode, but I haven't gotten the hang of it yet.  

I will have to pick up NastyDLY because I love a good chorus echo.

My favourite has to be ableton live ping pong delay.. if you switch it to 'repitch mode' you get a really good dub delay; the feedback, automation control, and consistent behaviour of it lends itself brilliantly to making really cool effects.  Other delays I find might behave differently if you start at the beginning of the bar or start from the beginning of the track, making fine tuning a pain.. others have feedback that just quickly tends towards distortion or buzzing.  Ive switched to bitwig recently and just cant get the same result out of the built in delays and really miss the ableton ping pong

I also use Bloom if I want a lush sounding delay, it models tape delay really nicely, so Ill use this when Im not trying to abuse the effect to get cool noises, like on a lead synth or vocal

https://www.fxpansion.com/products/bloom/

I almost exclusively use Waves H-Delay when I mix. Covers what I need nicely with super simple interface.

Did pick up Ozone's DDLY "Dynamic Delay" recently though, it's free until 10/3/16. Haven't had chance to use it properly but looks and sounds very interesting, certainly different. 

Other than that I can certainly tell you what NOT to use, if you use a PC then Ableton and NI's Replika really don't play nicely together. Just having it in my plugin folder crashed Ableton on startup. Luckily I had it as another freebie so after googling the issue and finding it was common problem I just deleted it. :)

Logic stereo delay does most that I need, coupled with the tape delay and delay designer.

I also find that native instruments replika is nice as an insert on a channel and has a degree of warmth to it. Also valhalla freq echo but I've only used that live so far. Must check it out in the studio actually.

Hmmm...chorus echo nastydly

I think I'll have to check that out too. There is a chorus echo in the effects of trillian and I love the sound of that. Really warm sound. Beautiful on a synth.

Yeah the one in Trillian is (I would think) the same as the one in Omnisphere, which is fantastic.  I'm probably going to have to get Trillian someday, though, it seems pretty incredible.  Plus I can use its soundsources in Omnisphere. 

I almost exclusively use Waves H-Delay when I mix. Covers what I need nicely with super simple interface.

Did pick up Ozone's DDLY "Dynamic Delay" recently though, it's free until 10/3/16. Haven't had chance to use it properly but looks and sounds very interesting, certainly different.

Did you say freeeeeeeeee? :wub:

These days I rely heavily on SonicCharge Echobode and Permut8 (I'm a big fanboy of all SonicCharge plugs, and would highly recommend them if you haven't tried them... Echobode is cheap and versatile, while Permut8 is a bit more difficult to get your head around but well worth it)

I often prefer using delays using hardware just for the tactile tweakability.  I have a Roland Space Echo pedal (Re-20) which I use live and use in the studio when I want to get Dubby... I also use some hardware eurorack delays from my modular system (Mutable Instruments Clouds in looping delay mode + Alright Devices Chronoblob)