psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Gagarin Project

Best of the year 2015 results discussion - Best new artist

Hi, 

this week (probably monday) we will start publishing best of the year poll results. I propose to discuss them here. I will gradually add links to post with new results here and i invite you to visit psybient.org website to see full information.

Best new artist for 2015
(psybient, psychill, ambient, psydub, downtempo)
http://www.psybient.org/love/best-new-artist-for-2015/

Results under spoiler :)

1st place

Omwom
Refraktal
Tribone

2nd place

Man Of No Ego

3rd place

Cloower Wooma
Mystic Crock
Stereomantra

4th place

Airform
Nibana
Rukirek
Translippers

5th place

AuroraX
Forgotten Future
Halfred
Individuum
Psybientum
Rakoon
Sixis
Stimulus Timbre

- See more at: http://www.psybient.org/love/best-new-artist-for-2015

Tribone, Cloower Wooma, Mystic Crock, Stereomantra, Rakoon, Sixis and Stimulous Timbre released albums or EPs before 2015. :ph34r: I don't mean to take anything away from these artists' achievements, it's just that, what's the criterion to be included in this category if not the fact that your first release was in 2015?

Tribone, Cloower Wooma, Mystic Crock, Stereomantra, Rakoon, Sixis and Stimulous Timbre released albums or EPs before 2015. :ph34r: I don't mean to take anything away from these artists' achievements, it's just that, what's the criterion to be included in this category if not the fact that your first release was in 2015?

seeing as how this was a type-your-own-answer-in question, it seems several people misunderstood the question. Maybe for 2016 we should just have a list of new artists for people to choose from similar to how the best album/EP was chosen, but maybe keep the text box as well if there's any missing ones they'd like to add.

seeing as how this was a type-your-own-answer-in question, it seems several people misunderstood the question. Maybe for 2016 we should just have a list of new artists for people to choose from similar to how the best album/EP was chosen, but maybe keep the text box as well if there's any missing ones they'd like to add.

i agree that is not cool to see "not new" artist in winners. But it will be a difficult tasks to make a preselection.... 

what do you think of approach that we "verify" all the winners and if they have more then 1-2 release(s) we ignore them. I think artist that have only 1-2 releases can be considered as "new".

i agree that is not cool to see "not new" artist in winners. But it will be a difficult tasks to make a preselection.... 

what do you think of approach that we "verify" all the winners and if they have more then 1-2 release(s) we ignore them. I think artist that have only 1-2 releases can be considered as "new".

In addition to the name of the artist, could you also possibly make the best new artist question have another form that requires a link to any website that proves the artist hasn't released anything prior to the current year, such as a bandcamp, discogs, or soundcloud page? That would make verifying much easier.

As for the preselection task, we could add another column to the 2016 releases google sheet that you could type "New Artist" into for every release by a new artist, then at the end of the year just sort the table by that column to group them all together.

what do you think is the criteria to differentiate "new" artist from "old" ?

I'd say the artist's first official release (album/EP/maybe singles but I'd rather not include them) must be from the current year and not before.

- we need a rule for next year, let's formulate and validate !

- we can even re-count the votes and 2 second version of best of.

I agree with timeisart's proposal. Maybe we can include releases from last December (2015) that won't have been around for a whole year yet.

I don't think the votes should be counted again since the results have been announced. I'd suggest being a bit more precise next poll.

now we have more then 10 "best" new artists. 

if somebody can check for each of them - who is NEW and WHO is not new, i can organise a special "promo" campaign or "artist highlight" of the one who are really "NEW".

so we don't change results, but we do something important for the "real" NEW 2015 artist. I can't do all , so if somebody help it can be done )

p.s. don't hesitate to make comments here about each artist in the list.

p.p.s. or maybe my idea is stupid :)

well of the three winners (Omwom, Refraktal & Tribone), Refraktal is the only truly new artist as their first release was in 2015. Omwom is a new project of a pre existing artist (Spundose) so you could still count that but not as much as Refraktal. And Tribone had a release in 2014 so he shouldn't be included.

I can run through the rest of the list soon and take out the rest of the non-new artists.

well of the three winners (Omwom, Refraktal & Tribone), Refraktal is the only truly new artist as their first release was in 2015. Omwom is a new project of a pre existing artist (Spundose) so you could still count that but not as much as Refraktal. And Tribone had a release in 2014 so he shouldn't be included.

I can run through the rest of the list soon and take out the rest of the non-new artists.

please do it, if you can also prepare a file with a link for each artist and an image link (or image file), that would be awesome. I would definetely like to "give" those artist a push via FB and maybe via a dedicated article.

please do it, if you can also prepare a file with a link for each artist and an image link (or image file), that would be awesome. I would definetely like to "give" those artist a push via FB and maybe via a dedicated article.

We, Refraktal, put the album on sale due to the title, yet we have seen no activity.  Perhaps you can share our status?  Thanks in advance for any assistance!