psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
neil (spatialize)

Spatialize

Introducing my project :)

Spatialize is a space-groove / electronica / global chill project by Neil Butler from the South West UK. Initially inspired to make music by the psychedelic sounds of Ozric Tentacles and Banco De Gaia, Neil has been experimenting sonically since 1998, getting early reviews in Future Music (1998) and Sound on Sound magazine (TopTape 2000) and performing early live sets at the psy-chill rooms of Sheffield.

2004 saw the debut release of the synth electronica album “Dryad’s Bubble†on Third Stone Records, an album described by Ott as “A Classic. Instant feel Good Factorâ€. UK gigs followed ranging from the chill-out rooms at ID Spiral, Barakasphere, Tribe of Frog etc to support slots in Exeter for trance legends such as Eat Static, System 7, Astralasia and more. The follow up to Dryad’s Bubble emerged in 2006 called “In the Midst of Myriadsâ€, a well received slice of more upbeat global chill which featured “an energetic luxuriance and crystal clear production†(Morpheus Music).

A musical hiatus ensued but by 2010 a new cycle of production was in full swing and by 2013 three albums worth of material were recorded. This will result in the December 2014 album release of two albums “On the Edge of Forever†and “Radialâ€. Next year will see the release of a darker, ambient electronica album “Encrypted Transmissions†and also a Bandcamp only release of early, unreleased material, provisionally titled Halcyon Daze.

With everything back on course, Spatialize is again in the position to offer another live act to the UK and European festival chill-out circuit, featuring an upbeat 2 hour set centred around a synth / laptop set-up. Bookings at www.spatialize.net/contact

Here are bandcamp links to themost recent releases

Spatialize - On The Edge of Forever

Spatialize - Radial 

Cheers Neil

www.spatialize.bandcamp.com
www.spatialize.net
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Spatialize/265749973441524
www.ello.co/spatialize

Just listening to 'Radial' now. Beautiful grooves! Don't know why I haven't heard your stuff before but I'm very glad I'm hearing it now :)

probably because I havent released anything in a while and also because I have also been pretty bad at self promotion :unsure: ;  trying to put that right a bit now.

thanks for the kind words  :)

Been listening to your stuff for the past couple of days(your last two albums), really enjoying it ;)  i'm a huge Krusseldorf fan and came across your music thanks to the track you did together "Great Prayer", i'm glad i did...my favourite track off "On The Edge Of Forever" is probably "Mettamorph" great tunes...keep it up :)

I really really like Mr.Spatialize's music. I felt I need a proper writing for such nice music, very nice musical intention, very nice musical foundation, very nice musical structure! All in all, I must say Mr.Spatialize is a very nice person! Who happens to make very nice music!

My English somewhat is like junior to describe all those complex feelings, so I would just say I totally agree with someone, Spatialize's music has that instant feel good factor!

If you ask me "Is there anything else you would like?" I would love to hear more classical folk instruments in it. In American Chinese restaurant, there is one dish called "seafood delight", basically a mix of all the seafood you'd like to try, it would be cool to have a piece of "folk instrument delight" music! :) I really love all these ancient musical tools, they just have this the magical power to lift you up, and send you drifting far far, far away...

I don't know if I should say this, Mr.Spatialize's music actually is perfect, there really isn't much room for improvement at this level, at least that is my opinion...  And I don't think going darker would really be the solution, nice people doesn't know how to be real dark.

All right, this is just my little idea, I would think Spatialize is actually a person like Mr.Piers Oak-Rhind, an all round nice guy, (isn't it interesting many of those nice guys are from UK?!), what he needs is a person like Helmut Glavar, a free spirit, very spontaneous, but not huge concern for liability and responsibility... well, I am speaking in a relative term. That person would add sparks, spontaneity to Mr.Spatialize's already wonderful soundscape country cottage! I am not sure how long it will work out, but I feel it would end up with some masterpiece.

Thank you for allowing my rambling! I often speak out of my place, but I really do have good intention, too! :)

I don't know if I should say this, Mr.Spatialize's music actually is perfect, there really isn't much room for improvement at this level, at least that is my opinion...  And I don't think going darker would really be the solution, nice people doesn't know how to be real dark.

RE: darker music

Around the time of writing On the Edge of Forever and Radial I was also developing the more ambient / soundscape Experiments in Silence project.  As I was working towards refining this more minimal sound, there was a period of crossover where I would start an atmosphere but would, out of habit, end up overlaying it with synth sequences and electronica beats.  Eventually, with some help from Matt Hillier, I landed deeper into the still and minimal soundscape way of working and released the debut Experiments in Silence album Hidden Harmonic, a well received slice of deep, abstract and beautiful atmospheres.

However, during this learning phase I was unwittingly developing something of a hybrid sound that drew on my love of early brooding electronica like Biosphere, Higher Intelligence Agency, Boards of Canada and Autechre.  Seeking a home for them I later remixed some into deeper ambient Experiments tracks and some developed into more upbeat Spatialize tracks.  But that left behind not only some cool original electronica versions but also some completely new electronica with sound design contributions from Matt Hillier, and an Ishq remix.  With some other unreleased Spatialize material kicking around I wasn’t quite sure what to do with it all.

After noodling with a few ideas, including adding a selection towards a darker, more minimal Spatialize album , the penny finally dropped.  I realised this was in fact one album, a marker in time and space, and should be released under the Experiments in Silence moniker.  And so “Encrypted Transmissions†was born, the title drawn from my favourite track on the album.

So, although this release veers more towards the darker, electronica sound I think people who enjoy the Spatialize sound may find something in it.  The album is being mastered at the moment and will be available from the Experiments in Silence bandcamp site at some point soon...ish www.experimentsinsilence.bandcamp.com

Thank you for such a long and detailed explanation of your music.

I checked your experiments in silence album, honestly, I couldn't tell it is from you or ishq, it is just very virtual-ish! Most of virtual albums, even from different artists, sound just the same! If I am honest, I don't think it is really interesting to listen to beat-less droning on, unless maybe you are high and have super sensitive feelings at the moment. 

I don't understand why you would want to abandon the beats, I rather find the beats are your best music feature. They are very accurate in a very pleasant way. It is like when someone is cooking, he just naturally knows how much amount of salt to put in without even thinking about it. And really, I think beats to music, is like the heart to a body. Of course, you can have rhythm without actual drum beats. But I just feel to electronic music, it is really essential to have beats. I couldn't explain exactly why, maybe sometime later the wisdom would come to me. :)

I am not some professional reviewer or something, but as an audience, you do have a choice as well. I actually find Arecibo Records have more interesting experimental stuff. But that is just my own feeling though.

I am sure it is fun and exciting to try all sorts of things while you can, like on the edge forever, good luck with your current edge music, maybe I will like it more of your next new edge!

Not abandoning.  It's more in addition to.

The Experiments in Silence project comes from 2 things.  1) My love of deep beatless ambient music and 2) the interest to try something else.  The beats etc in Spatialize do take a lot of loving crafting and a lot of mixing... which can be time consuming, so it;s really nice to do a simpler style where you can write quickly and fluidly.  

It;s also quite a beautiful experience to be in the midst of very still music.  You become more present, the intellect can stop a little and the music feels like it is creating itself.  It's a very beautiful experience and I make the music in order to enjoy and dwell in that space.

The modern world if a complicated one.  i think it's nice to have something simpler that flows with immediate creativity in your life.  Makes the world seem more real to me.

For the listener.... well it's definitely not for everyone.  I think you have to be into that style and like beatless music in general really...  I like introspective ambient music like Eno / Ishq etc

Having said all that the next experiments album will have some beats in. He he. Inhabits an IDM / Electronica space like a Biosphere or HIA album :-)  .

Ah yeah Dimensions.  That groove is kinda upbeat electronica / IDM. I like a nice open clear groove that people can put themselves into, and then float on the atmopsheres.

So much modern electronic music is so rythmically cluttered with glitch after glitch and then mastered so loud that the music is kind of forcing it's way out of the speakers and slapping you round the face.. Everyone tries to compete with everyone else to make the loudest, most complex music, leaving little chance for the listener to meet the music half way. 

Ishq - Ra.  I don't know that one.