psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Gagarin Project

news 2015 W3 - album of the week selection

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the album(s) would you like to highlight this week?

• Akal Dub â?? In Reverence [Self Released]
    • Andorra â?? Dream EP [Self Released]
    • Dubnotic â?? Earth Fragment [Visionary Shamanics Records]
    • Gateway 721 â?? Departure [Self Released]
    • Ishq â?? Autumn Light [Virtual]
    • Ishq â?? Winter Light [Virtual]
    • Mm (Micro Monkey) â?? The Night Guard [Self Released]
    • Various Artists â?? Five Years Of [Subbass]
    • Various Artists â?? Parvati In Dub by Vlastur [Parvati Records]
    • Various Artists â?? Uxmal Chill 01 [Uxmal Records]

Guys,

i would like to propose you to discuss and highlight together music releases that has been announced in this week psybient.org news.

I propose each of us to make a vote for "interesting" album(s) and/or share your impressions about.

p.s.

this is new idea, we will post similar topics once per week. if you have ideas how to make this more interesting and easy to use let me know.

we will try to make bandcamp players "smaller" to take less space in the post.

Only 4 votes have been made and results are followings, we hope more participants in this week poll:

1. Dubnotic – Earth Fragment [Visionary Shamanics Records] 

2*. Ishq – Winter Light [Virtual]

2*. Andorra – Dream EP [self Released]

* both Ishq and Andorra are sharing second place

I can only speak for myself, but to do justice to such a vote I would need to listen to every release a couple of times. I like to mix it up between older and newer releases, as well as genres, depending on mood. I don't think I'll ever force myself to listen to everything properly in order to have a well-informed opinion, even for one week. An annual poll is more like it IMO, I'd definitely take part in that. :)

BTW, I liked Autumn Light more. B)

maybe the name of topic is to changen the goal is not to choose the absolute winner, but to help each other to discover something good.

so basically if you have time to listen to one-two of all week news, then you can come back here and if you like it vote for it. it will be a recommendation to others. Or even without voting just comment the post.

So basically we will be highlighting together and not absolute "best of the best".

as for best of the year is also not really an objective exercise, because this year thee were > 700 releases referenced at this page.

i will speak for myself, i have probably listened to 100 of those, so basically i will be able to vote only for some of the one i listened without possibility if being objective. Nevertheless if we are 50 people to make the poll happen it can be already a very interesting preselection.

I am actually thinking that two rounds of selection are necessary. In first round we pre-select releases and in second round we really give points to each release in order to have the real top 10.

About the weekly selection: I reckon that the function you are proposing Gagarin, (recommending new releases) is already covered by the "now listening" thread, which I find a bit more relaxed. I for one will definitely comment on releases I enjoy, especially new ones, on that thread.

About the annual one: I think it's almost impossible to hear every single release in a year, yet at the same time standout albums are a bit easier to spot in that time frame. I'll vote as many times as is considered fitting, once or twice. :)

Finally, on a general note, objectivity is not even possible, music is based solely on taste. The closest we can get to is relatively large inter-subjectivity. Whenever I post it's what I like, not what is necessarily good; I don't think I'm the only one with this attitude either.