psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Shpongle

General Music Thread (discussions of non "psybient" music)

A thread do discuss other genres and music, discuss other bands, share what you listening to and such....so we don't keep derailing the "What are you listening now?" thread :D

@yannis was never lucky enough to see them live, but i agree that they're way past their prime, even though Tony is still a kickass guitar player, and Ozzy is always fun to watch, he's quite a character

Even though I always enjoy the funky element, usually in the rhythm section, I have never actually listened to funk properly. If/when I feel the urge to do a bit of exploring I'll start with these suggestions timeisart. I've seen the first cover in various articles.

I don't normally listen to pop but I make an exception for mid-late 60s Beatles. My father liked their early stuff so I was exposed to them from an early age, but when I did my own listening I realised I enjoyed their music from Revolver on more. It was mainly through the blue compilation that I got to know those songs. They are often credited for inventing studio manipulation and psychedelic music, which I don't know if it's true, but they certainly popularised it. Also, Harrison's lifelong allegiance with Buddhism was instrumental in bringing Eastern religions and philosophy to the western masses, an aspect of psychedelic music that is with us to this day. My favourite albums are Sgt Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey Road. And that blissful vibe of Across the Universe...

I like The Doors and Jimi Hendrix, I have never listen to Ozrics, I will do it later)

I like Hendrix too, Are You Experienced? is my favourite. A lot of his live shows were full of bum notes though - it can't have been easy to play having taken six or seven mega-potent 60s acid tabs. :wacko::blink:

The Ozrics have released 20 studio and four live albums as well as some digital-only rarities. The sheer quantity can be overwhelming. If you like it organic-sounding, go for stuff from 1988 to 1994. If you want it more modern-sounding try '95 till today. Leave very early albums ('84-'86) last, they are amateurish both in composition and production. Erpland (1990) is a good place to start.   :) 

I'm a huge Doors fan, what's your favourite album?

I've got special DVD-Audio Box with all remastered albums

But I will not choose one of their albums, most of all I like tracks "The End" and "When The Music Over" - they are most psychedelic of Doors releases I think.

I like Hendrix too, Are You Experienced? is my favourite. A lot of his live shows were full of bum notes though - it can't have been easy to play having taken six or seven mega-potent 60s acid tabs. :wacko::blink:

The Ozrics have released 20 studio and four live albums as well as some digital-only rarities. The sheer quantity can be overwhelming. If you like it organic-sounding, go for stuff from 1988 to 1994. If you want it more modern-sounding try '95 till today. Leave very early albums ('84-'86) last, they are amateurish both in composition and production. Erpland (1990) is a good place to start.   :)

haha)) yes, he was hardcore dude)) so like as Jim Morrison) It is very pity that in 60s-70s was racial discrimination in us, so black musicians couldn't release their albums at good labels and couldn't be heard on good radiostations. So thats why first albums of Hendrix was in mono and with bad quality - whey was release for the pirate radiostations. But nowadays the carma-law is in action, a lot of bullshit rappers are everywhere, without any talant and any ideas, they blow mind of young boys and girls.

Thank you, i will start from 1990)

One of my favourite bands is Tool and i find it curious that alot of "psybient" "psytrance" fans also like this band, i wonder why that is...is it because of the "spiritual" or philosophical side of the band, the art?!

Any fans here?

I'm not a huge fan of the band overall, but Aenema and Lateralus are masterpieces in my book, as are all their videos. The lyrics on Lateralus are some of the most profound ones I've ever heard. The Alex Grey artwork is also a huge bonus. I saw them on their 10,000 Days tour twice, unfortunately with 99.9% the same setlist. The first time I saw them I was completely blown away by both their performance and the show, but the second time I realised that what I thought had been jamming was actually thoroughly rehearsed added bits, almost identical to the first time. I don't think they'll do another full-length album, although they do have a couple of new songs. And even if they do, I doubt it will be on par with their previous output. I hope I'm proven wrong on both accounts of course.

I'm not a huge fan of the band overall, but Aenema and Lateralus are masterpieces in my book, as are all their videos. The lyrics on Lateralus are some of the most profound ones I've ever heard. The Alex Grey artwork is also a huge bonus. I saw them on their 10,000 Days tour twice, unfortunately with 99.9% the same setlist. The first time I saw them I was completely blown away by both their performance and the show, but the second time I realised that what I thought had been jamming was actually thoroughly rehearsed added bits, almost identical to the first time. I don't think they'll do another full-length album, although they do have a couple of new songs. And even if they do, I doubt it will be on par with their previous output. I hope I'm proven wrong on both accounts of course.

I agree, Lateralus is on my top 5 albums of all time, i love everything about this band...saw them live twice as well, one during the Lateralus tour and one on the 10,000 tour, and both times i was blown away by it, their whole performance is top notch, they're all great musicians and Maynard is one of the greatest frontman off time, that guy is just hypnotic on stage...they're working on a new album, that will probably be released by the end of this year or early next(hopefully) they have been jamming this new "track" live latelly, and it has a "lateralus" feel to it...i have high hopes for this album.

[media=320,410]

[/media]

Thanks Shpongle, it sounds good but unfinished. Three more things: a) I don't know, this "new album soon" thing has been going on for quite a few years now, it's already taken them twice as long as before. I'm not holding my breath anymore. b ) I think that psybient fans who like Tool probably have a rock or metal background before getting into electronic music. c) Their music, especially on the two albums I talked about in the previous post, is quite psychedelic for me.

It's only part of a track, it sounds great though, can't wait to listen to the whole thing...yeah i know it's been 10 years since their last album, but from what some members have been saying and some footage they shared looks like this time around they're definitely working on it.

You're probably right, it's probably like you said some of them have a rock music background, i just find it curious that even though it's two completely different genres i find their fans somewhat similar in a way.

I consider Tool the modern Pink Floyd, both musically ahead of 99.9% of the other bands out there

Tool and Porcupine tree are both great great bands! Can't wait for the release of the new Tool album (whenever that may be) and hopefully get to see em live in London sometime.

Btw also rumours of a Rage Against The Machine comeback, or some form of spin-off band, maybe with new front man. - http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/rumors/rage-against-the-machine-begin-teasing-something-major-is-it-another-reunion

Wow, Vader! They're still going strong. Saw them in 98 I think and they were awesome live. Actually if there is one metal subgenre I feel closest it's old school death metal, mainly because it caught me in my early to mid teens, when things seem to have a major impact, in the early 90s. However I tend to go for the mega classics today when I'm in the mood for some metal, like Maiden, Metallica or Slayer, and I almost always listen to their 80s output.

What are some of your favourite metal bands Tanya? :)

haaah, one more metalhead amongst us detected)))

it's great to know we are not focused on electronic music only! Different parts of our brain require diverse vibrations provoked by different sound! Cool!

I would say... Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Stratovarius, Behemoth, Vader.. a bit of Metallica (really a bit).. and I still love Rammstein pre-Mutter things..

but I'm not into this music so much now. I used to listen to it 13-14 years ago and stopped following their releases afterwards.... 

$T2eC16R,!wsE9suwydZ+BP+1)lwS6g~~60_35.J

I try to listen to newer releases from some 80s and 90s bands, but unsurprisingly they fail to match up to my teenage memories... I don't feel inclined to check out new bands, although I'm sure there are fantastic albums coming out every day. There are some exceptions of newer bands I like, like our very own Dead Congregation and Resurgency. I haven't been to a metal gig since two Christmases ago though.

What is your common feeling and 'detached observer' reflexion when listening to heavy/trash metal music now, Yiannis? apart of teenage vibes nostalgie 

If you're asking about old releases, I can't listen to them objectively. If it's about newer releases, it's either "that sounds very familiar", "very noisy" or "hitting the same string in weird timings isn't making this song interesting". Mainly I don't feel it like I did in the past, apart form very few exceptions and that's as deep as it goes. I must admit that having a drink and/or a smoke while listening loosens up things and I can enjoy it as intense and exciting. Also I feel much more at home at a psychedelic festival than I do at a metal one. And I definitely don't feel like wearing the uniform. Nowadays goa has mostly taken the place of extreme metal and downtempo of, erm, non-extreme metal. However I don't think it's out of the question that I might go through a metal phase at some point in the future.

And your feelings?

yeah, same here)) like a side thing to enjoy from time to time, while fundamental vibrations are concentrated in a very opposite style(s) of music. 

In common, apart of a few expections as well, this music makes me funny and turns my 'snobby' part on, especially black metal screaming, dead corpse with the outlook, satanic things etc. 14 years ago that was serious and #wow, I was deep in it, but now it's like 'omg, what is in their brain to make them play this music and promote this culture'. I mean vibes of this music are pathetically low, negative, agressive for me. Sympho power metal does a good job in these terms, since musicians are highly skilled, the energy is pure, uplifting and positive, and even lyrics sometimes is deep. Same with Metallica etc. It's like morning full-on comparetively with the dark braincore hi-tech trance... 

(which I don't like either for the same reasons)))) 

Tanya, my tastes were different. I liked it very aggressive back then, possibly because of living in a slightly dysfunctional family, partly because I lived in an urban environment. I never liked anything symphonic except Emperor. I still don't generally like the combination of metal and symphonic music, though I don't have a problem with symphonic music per se. I think, without wanting to sound sexist, that this kind of music seems to appeal more to women. On the other hand, me and my friends used to make fun of corpse paint and black metal shrieking too back in the day, even though some of them enjoyed the music. On the whole, metal lends itself for endless parodying, which I can usually enjoy.

Schofield, I have stumbled upon this before and I agree, it's done quite tastefully.