psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy

What kind of reverb do you guys like on your snares?  I can never quite get the sound I want, so I usually end up just nabbing the "tail" of a snare from a live drum break that I like.  But this has limitations... Like my reverb tail having a random hi-hit in it.  Not to mention vinyl crackles.  

Pre-delay times?  Diffusion?  Hall/plate/room/etc?  Please share what works for you!  Thanks in advance...

you use logic?  There's a Big Drum Room impulse in there.  That is very nice on snares or on a full loop (filtered a little maybe). 

Plus I find a bit of either spring reverb  or plate on top of something like that is the way forward. The big drum reverb to add depth and the spring (or a plate) to add a bit of a ring or upper / mid freq spaciousness to the sound.. 

So yeah I find a couple of subtle applications of 2 types of reverb works best for me.

I mostly use short room reverbs on my drums. It's really efficient to glue all the drum tracks.

Also, try to put a compressor after your reverb, it can really make your snare sound bigger. :)

(And don't hesitate to play 3 or 4 different snares at the same time, if you're looking for a big snare hit.)

Routing your reverb into your drum bus can help too.

That's how I do it usually.  That way the compressor can sort of rebalance the drum sound to the room sound in an organic sort of way.  

Also: Big Drums on Space Designer is a fantastic IR.  Tried it and instantly changed my Snare Verb bus on my master template to it. 

Greetings! I use room reverb for snare (and other percs, hats and etc) with decay 200-400 ms, pre-delay time = 60 000 Ã· track tempo Ã· 4 = length of 1/16 . and for example, for 120 bpm, 60 000÷120÷4=125 ms, so its to big number for pre delay time, so why we need to divide on 4 again and we got 31.25. Usually for different reverbs in one track I use different pre-delay time, so let's say for big reverb I will use here 62,5 = 31,25*2 . But anyway don't forget to check everything with your ears! :)

Greetings! I use room reverb for snare (and other percs, hats and etc) with decay 200-400 ms, pre-delay time = 60 000 Ã· track tempo Ã· 4 = length of 1/16 . and for example, for 120 bpm, 60 000÷120÷4=125 ms, so its to big number for pre delay time, so why we need to divide on 4 again and we got 31.25. Usually for different reverbs in one track I use different pre-delay time, so let's say for big reverb I will use here 62,5 = 31,25*2 . But anyway don't forget to check everything with your ears! :)

I've wondered why reverbs don't have bpm synced pre-delay.. But this formula was new to me, thanks for sharing it! Have to try this today :)

Always a struggle to get reverb snare right.. I love very long and spacey snares but usually those work only with every 1/4th snare hit or so.

Now I'm working on a 100bpm downtempo track and trying to get snare reverb working there.. Almost there! Lots of tweaking and adjusting :)

Finding a good reverb algorithm is really hard.. many sound tinny and unnatural.  Keep hearing about these amazing new reverb plugins, trying them out, and deciding they are crap.

I have a fairly cheapish Lexicon box which I prefer to most VSTs, with the exception of the Plug and Mix digital reverb which I think sounds great on some sounds and I am using a lot more these days, just because it's nice to work in-the-box where you can!

http://www.plugandmix.com/products/p881-Digital-Reverb/

IR stuff can be pretty good too, use that if I want a ridiculously big reverb.