psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
platonicliquid

2015/01/23 Rainbow Serpent (Lexton, Victoria, Australia)

I haven't been yet - I had been to Earthcore http://www.earthcore.com.au/ end of last year - and you're right - the atmosphere was definitely lessened by the wrong sort of crowd - lots of juice heads and people from the general EDM/trance crowd (the festival also catered to this crowd by introducing non-psy acts) - I met some lovely people, but found that I mostly wanted to stay with the group I was with. The arts and culture parts of the festival were a sick twisted joke. But! I got to see Shpongle (the reason I chose to go) and a few other acts i wanted to see :) (Shpongle and Raja Ram played their sets then practically ran off stage and away from the festival) - the sheer amount of trash left behind after the festival was disheartening.

I've *heard* that Rainbow Serpent has a better vibe to it, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.If it doesn't pan out, I'll be looking to smaller/lesser known festivals (or go overseas!) to get my music fix. I'm very much looking forward to Desert Dwellers and Beats Antique this time around.

I found an official retrospective from last year's festival 

We went down this long weekend ...and it was fantastic! Had a blast. Everyone was so awesome - the volunteers were friendly and helpful, the festival was sustainable and made huge efforts to minimise the environmental impact of having so many people in one place - compost toilets, recycling facilities, regular garbage collection... and festival goers appreciated the effort and as a result were happy to help keep the place clean :) 

The festival organisers were working closely (I believe) with Boom Festival organisers who have been organising sustainable festivals for many years now. 

The workshops were topnotch, the panels/discussions were amazing with guest speakers from around the world speaking on various issues... the crowd was orders of magnitude better than the one that attended Earth Core.

And of course the music. Oh my. On top of the heavier stuff there were dedicated stages for chill/psybient and progressive stuff, as well as a stage for live music acts, featuring a whole number of different genres.

Other festivals could learn from Rainbow Serpent. No complaints whatsoever, had a mind-blasting weekend of non-stop crazy fun and learning. I'll be going back next year!

Just to add to this convo for anyone doubting Rainbow Serpent - My favourite festival by far, I attend every year and the combination of crowd/atmosphere/music/artists and performers are second to none in this part of the world. It has a dedicated chill stage that is guaranteed to be playing top quality tunes 24 hours a day for the entire 4 days. Also the chill stage runs for a half hour longer than all the stages on the monday night.

I haven't been to any festivals outside of Australia, so I can't comment on them.  But I haven't missed a Rainbow Serpent Festival since my first one in 2001.

By far the best festival I have been to both then and now.  Also the best crowd - pretty much everyone is there for a good friendly time.  Great tunes too.

Here is the latest retrospective film, from earlier this year: