psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
thanosp81

Music buying habits

I started listening to Goa Trance and Psychill at 1995, I was 14 yo at the time. Obviously I didn't have my own income, so I was using (or not using) my allowance, going to the arcades and just watching other ppl play so I could save some money. Enough for a cd per month.

Fast forward many years, having a good job and enough money to buy as many cds I needed in order to quench my thirst. In theory of course, my wife knows a lot of ways to cause physical and mental pain.  :(

And I understand her, I always feel I want to buy more releases than I actually have time to hear.

So I set a limit to myself...£60 per month (excl. shipping). So when payday comes debit card is out of the wallet. I also allow myself for a couple of releases during the month for preordering and buy on day of release. And that's it.

What about you? What are your buying habits/constraints?

i was buying a lot of CDs before , after i discovered torrents i started to buy less.

since 2010 i started to buy digital and collect music only in LOSSLESS formats.

now i limit myself to buy music, because i don't have space on HDD to keep it ;)

but i still do it regularly, i love music and love to support artists.

Another limits is budget of course and the price for release. When release is 1 euro per track is fine, when is 2 euros like on beatport i tend not to buy it, i guess it is psychological.

Hehe if one day I limit my records budget that will mean my brain's been eaten and possessed by an alien intelligence and I am no longer a chien.

Well I must admit my bank account sometimes stares at me with threatening eyes but I'm...uneasy with the idea of a dj preventing himself from acquiring interesting music - for Hofmann's sake that's the basis of our work! (this could be different for a pure producer)

Since I haven't had a CD player for years, I buy digital - Bandcamp only because then I know money goes into the musician's pocket AND you have the lossless option. And there has to be a psychological factor also :P

If the album is more than 15$ it has to be a record I really love and want to dj.

From times to times I buy vinyls, mainly because I've stumbled on a record that just doesn't exist in digital format (mostly 60's-70's music).

For digital releases I find it hard to stay away from Bandcamp more than a few days.
I find most other digital shops too expensive, specially because I prefer to buy only .wav format.
My BC wishlist is almost as big as my collection while I store most 'name your price' items in my shopping cart .
For cd's there's no greater pleasure for me than secondhand cd shops or market stalls , I can spend a lot of time browsing around feeling amazed about what I find sometimes.
Budget restriction is my only enemy :)

I pretty much buy all of my music from Bandcamp in digital formal. It's easy to use and well working.

To be honest I purchased once music from junodownload since I couldn't find what I was looking for anywhere else and oh my gosh how much it sucked... Never again.

Sometimes I purchase some CD's from Discogs market place but that's maybe once a year or so.

And don't forget Ektoplazm! Great place to download high quality music for free. Just remember to give a small (or big!) donation to keep it running :)

I'm a bit like Gagarin - used to buy a lot of CDs, from the 90s through to around 2010.  

In the 90s I'd be checking 2nd hand cd shops all the time.  If i wanted to buy an imported dance music CD, it'd cost around AU$30  or AU$35, sometimes more, and if it wasn't in stock I'd have to order it through the shop and wait two or three weeks until it came in.

In early to mid 2000's, for psytrance and chill, I bought from Saiko Sounds in Hong Kong.  The prices were much better - around AU$16-20 per CD - and the delivery, by courier (Fed Ex) was only a few days.

At some point I downloaded lots of MP3s, but gave up on them when I realised how bad the sound quality was.  Then I found someone on Discogs from Russia who approached me about swapping lossless rips of CDs we had; did that for a year or so.  But I found that I didn't listen to and enjoy the music I got for free as much as the music I bought, so that fell by the wayside.

Then came Bandcamp - Hallelujah! - and I did by some CDs from it to begin with, but after I while I switched to digital because I could buy so much more.  Now I buy entirely digital.

I used to burn all of my digital music purchases to CDs, but that became unmanageable, so that's when I bought a laptop and midi controller and stopped burning CDs.

Now it's Bandcamp mostly.  If I can't get something there, then I try DjTunes or digital-tunes.net, maybe Z-Digital, and as a last resort, Beatport.

So, that's my story.  I do love music.   :)

Bandcamp all the way for me, with a little bit of Ektoplazm mixed in. Love everything about these distribution options, their ethics, direct contact with artists, high quality options.

Occasionally I'll struggle to find a track so I might have to look at beatport or juno, but this is getting rarer & rarer.

I'm reluctant to buy cd's these days due to their fragility - no matter how careful I am sooner or later they end up unplayable...plus its a lot of weight to carry about when it could all fit on a HDD.