psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Advanced Suite

Vst Recommendations for Psybass, Psydub, Psychill

I am a long time Reason users since v2.5. I used rewire with Acid pro to accommodate all my vst needs. But since switching to mac a couple years back I have only been using Reason. Since Acid pro is not supported with mac.

Reason is great and all and I will probably always find a reason to use it. (A Reason to Reason lol). But I feel very out of the loop when it comes to new vst's that come out.

So, I bought Logic and am wondering what vst's are must haves or will simply work best for making psybass psydub psychill psybient types of music.

Since I am so out of the loop and with so many options to choose from I am feeling very overwhelmed and could use a little direction.

Also sorry if this has been asked I tried to search for keywords and nothing came up :)

I dont think any particular plugin is especially suited to psy stuff.. but if you wan't to experiment with some new toys, try Looperator and The Mangle. maybe try get your head around FM8 and Omnisphere

Generally it's the same old things for any genre.. good synths, good drum samples, use and abuse of simple delay and filtering plugins, etc.  I use my built in DAW stuff quite a lot and mostly turn to flashy VSTs for the mixdown

I dont think any particular plugin is especially suited to psy stuff..

I think a part of me already knew that.

but if you wan't to experiment with some new toys, try Looperator and The Mangle. maybe try get your head around FM8 and Omnisphere

I think this is more of what I meant. Maybe I should change the name of the thread to "new toys to experiment with" lol

Thank you! This will give me a great place to start :)

and mostly turn to flashy VSTs for the mixdown

Would you mind elaborating on this? Why don't you just grab the flashy ones right away?

By the way I LOVE your work. Big fan over here. :) So any advice you have is going to be totally accepted with open heart and arms :)

If you want to try free VST's here is KVR's list of top free VST's

https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/windows/macosx/vst-plugins/vst3-plugins/audio-units/aax-plugins/rack-extensions/instruments/free/most-popular

From free VST's my favorite is TAL Noisemaker. Great little synth :) There was also free (2 osc) version of U-He's Bazille called Beatzille that is also quite handy little modular style thing.

My personal favorites are U-He Diva and Lennar Digital Sylenth1. Diva for deep bass, pads and other atmospheres and Sylenth1 for fx, leads, 4/4 bass etc...

Would you mind elaborating on this? Why don't you just grab the flashy ones right away?

By the way I LOVE your work. Big fan over here. :) So any advice you have is going to be totally accepted with open heart and arms :)

Well the flashy ones tend to be for mixdowns is what i meant! Ie saturation plugs / analogue modelling / tube kinda stuff (eg Magnetic 2, Twin Tube), precise and versatile eqs (eg FabFilter ProQ), transient shapers (SPL Transient Designer), width processors (Izotope Imager)... this is all mixdown stuff, I wouldn't use them in sound design, just in sculpting the track to fit together nicely and have a bit of shine

In terms of writing the actual track, I'm mostly working with a synth, layering drum samples with some simple filtering, chopping up audio, timestretching, automating simple delay effects, and so on... I can do all this without a flashy VSTs, except perhaps a really good synth if im not using hardware

And thanks glad someone out there likes my stuff :)

If you want to try free VST's here is KVR's list of top free VST's

https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/windows/macosx/vst-plugins/vst3-plugins/audio-units/aax-plugins/rack-extensions/instruments/free/most-popular

From free VST's my favorite is TAL Noisemaker. Great little synth :) There was also free (2 osc) version of U-He's Bazille called Beatzille that is also quite handy little modular style thing.

My personal favorites are U-He Diva and Lennar Digital Sylenth1. Diva for deep bass, pads and other atmospheres and Sylenth1 for fx, leads, 4/4 bass etc...

Thank you! I checked out that link. That site is super useful.... Makes me wonder though... why are there so many "free" VSTs? Its like an ocean of both free and not free VSTs. :)

Thanks for the recommendations man I will definitely be checking those out. 

Well the flashy ones tend to be for mixdowns is what i meant! Ie saturation plugs / analogue modelling / tube kinda stuff (eg Magnetic 2, Twin Tube), precise and versatile eqs (eg FabFilter ProQ), transient shapers (SPL Transient Designer), width processors (Izotope Imager)... this is all mixdown stuff, I wouldn't use them in sound design, just in sculpting the track to fit together nicely and have a bit of shine

In terms of writing the actual track, I'm mostly working with a synth, layering drum samples with some simple filtering, chopping up audio, timestretching, automating simple delay effects, and so on... I can do all this without a flashy VSTs, except perhaps a really good synth if im not using hardware

And thanks glad someone out there likes my stuff :)

This is all fantastic info :D I feel like I got a very good look into you process. Thank you!!! Going to go check out some of those VSTs that you mentioned :)

maybe try get your head around FM8 and Omnisphere

NI has FM8 in -50% sale right now... As all the other products. I've been drooling the Reaktor 6 for a while now... Might be good moment go grab it.

Anyone here using Reaktor 6 and any thoughts on it?

I would also use it with my Macbook Air (mid 2013) that has 4GB memory. Reaktor specs say that 4GB is minimum...