psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Lorn

Transition Fx

There are VSTs for this kind of thing, eg The Riser, but I found it's not as good as making your own

Whooshes - white noise, every synth should have a white noise source.  Add effects - unison, delay, reverb, flanger, freq shifter etc.. then low pass filter to rise/fall it.. I put a delay on end of the whole chain so the noise doesn't stop too suddenly when you take it away

Risers - This can be any old synth patch with the pitch bend range on your synth from -12 to +12 and automated... rising! The possibilitites are endless, experiment!

so

Transitions - a good one is to take a sound that is coming in the new section and do the old reverse reverb trick so it starts before it starts.. google that if you dont know what i mean.. you can do a reverse delay variation on that too

On that note a reverse crash/ride always helps a transition nicely, especially if you stick a delay on it too.

I am editing this post with "where I got my information" (instead of just trying to explain it :)

This is from Iacchus he is full of great tips :) Thanks Iacchus! :D

I got the info from this blog post which I found very useful :)

How to make a psy squeak:

1. Set your oscillators to saw wave

2. Attach an LFO to both oscillators pitch. You will hear it sounds a bit like a siren.

3. Set the filter to a band pass filter. Turn up the resonance.

4. Experiment moving the cutoff frequency of the filter around. It should start to sound like a psy squeak. You can either get the effect you want my manually automating the cuttoff, another option is to send the cutoff to another LFO that goes at the same speed as the pitch LFO, but in the opposite direction so the pitch goes up as the cutoff goes down. From here you can experiment loads with LFO offsets and slight differences in speed to get cool effects. Consider using two band pass filters in parallel to get 'talking synth' effects, vowel sounds etc

Extra hints:

A low note with a large LFO pitch range tends to work best.

On my synth (Access Virus TI) it sounds better if you turn the ring modulation to maximum, and the unison to 2.

Automate the pitch LFO speed for cool 'engine speeding up effects'.

Experiment with delay, reverb, and all manners of other effects to taste.

Hey thanks for the reply. I've never looked into The Riser. I'm certainly leaning to making my own. I want to create some go to samples which I can just drop in when I need something.

I would recommend just making them as you need them - different transitions call for different transition effects!  How long should the whoosh be? Depends how long the breakdown is, how quickly does it need to fade away? Depends how much is going on after the transition, what pitch should the riser start on? Depends on the key... etc

I would recommend just making them as you need them - different transitions call for different transition effects!  How long should the whoosh be? Depends how long the breakdown is, how quickly does it need to fade away? Depends how much is going on after the transition, what pitch should the riser start on? Depends on the key... etc

Good points!

Easy way is to use reversed cymbal with some FX to bring stereo width and depth.

Sometimes those work quite well, specially when added some reverb and delay to create that after swoosh :)

I like to automate a stereo width plugin with reversed cymbals to "open it up" a bit. Also panning the transition can bring some extra depth.