psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Gagarin Project

let's talk sound (all subjects related to producing / dj ing / equipement)

anybody interested in modular ambient/downtempo? personally I am more and more and more into... in the nearest future I am going to build my own rack case and after that I will begin to collect modules. first I think to get Mutable Instruments Clouds and some lfo's for modulation, I will use it as an granural effect for the rest of my stuff and after that I will get some oscillators, envelopes, vca and others ;)

I'm in love with this.

Definitely, Johnny! I'm super into the approach used by people like Taylor Deupree. 

My plan, though it's progressing waaaay slower than I first thought, is to make a rack centered around the Phonogene or some equivalent module. Tape recorder madness! I've got PCB's and panels to make most of the Mutable modules and rails for a DIY case. I just need time and peace of mind to actually DO all of it. I've access to all facillities including laser cutting for the case at my university, but the studies are taking up all my time and energy.... soo, maybe after the summer holidays I'll get some soldering done.

that's my stuff for the live performances ;) Maschine, Mininova, Monotribe and Binaural Beat Generator.

normally I am playing or dj set or my own material, but I really would like to create some hybrid set including remixed set + my own loops/effects over it. but still does not have time to prepare it :(

post-270-0-43834800-1494625871_thumb.jpg

Cools. Thanks for sharing! Very nice seteup there. How do you like the mininova as a synth, or what monitors are those?

When you play live, I assume yo use macschine as a clip launcher, so do you build sets of your own material using ableton or do you use a playlist approach and have everything play besides a few parts you play? I would really like to get into live looping/recording an entire track...

I am using Maschine in couple of different ways:

- to trigger and manipulate audio loops and one shots

- to trigger prepared before midi sequences and send them to external synthesizers and vst

- to record midi sequences during performance and send them to external synthesizers and vst

- as a multi effect for the external synthesizers

So: I am preparing loops in track groups to mix them live on stage (usually around 128 loops for 1 h 30 minutes material), during performance I am adding sounds synthesized on Monotribe (using it's own sequencer), Mininova (sending midi from Maschine) and Binaural Beat Generator to give more "live act" experience and all the happy little random accidents.

The way I play is constantly evolving, so next year it will be definitely more complex :) I would like to have one more synthesizer to the set up, it would be perfect to have Erebus, Dark Energy or Mother-32.

I am against pre recording whole performance, I'd rather prefer some addition of improvisation including some mistakes sometimes if happened.