psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Gagarin Project

What are you listening now?

hi yiannis, I have listened to it once through and liked the first track the most then it kind of went downhill from there for me, but it's still decent as a whole. maybe a little darker and more experimental than I prefer but it is very psychedelic, plus it's always good for artists to push boundaries. I haven't heard the original psytrance tracks this revisited EP is based off of but you can definitely sense the psytrance influence.

I took some of Tengri's Shipibo EP out to soundtrack a daytrip by the seaside a while ago and it works.  That same day, my favourite track was Flooting Groove's next level track from the first pappedelic compilation.  Last time, I picked out tracks from System7, Hedflux, Bluetech & SebTaylor.  It takes me quite a while to build up trust of an artist - even now it's the System7/Bluetech stuff I'm more sure of.  I like to have something dependable that I've pre-listened to really, then I might trial just a few other artists and think about trying them another time.  You know, I'm sort of of the opinion that there's not very much good music that's been made so far.  ISHQ orchid is the sky highest I've ever listened to music.    

I'm sometimes surprised by how some music might be in a different setting - for instance, on another daytrip stroll, there was a track from LTJ Bukem's mixmag set that worked.  I'm slowly forming the opinion that we might all have slightly differently calibrated ears so what which sounds truly perfect for one might not work quite so well for another - I think there might be less subjective stuff about how rhythm works for the way humans move but we're all different shapes too.  Diversity and an open heart might be a way forward.

I think I'm maxed out for input and I'm trying to finish a bit of uni study too, so I'm going to turn off my internet now and hope to bump into folk sometime soon.

I like to have something dependable that I've pre-listened to really, then I might trial just a few other artists and think about trying them another time.

+1, for my daily power walk. Also I find Tengri absolutely mind bending, in the deepest, darkest, most twisted way. Any track I've listened to so far.

I'm enjoying the sounds of PopAmbient2016 on Kompakt here, featuring the Orb amongst another 11 artists I'd not heard of before.  It's AMBIENT rather than BASS music and the tracks work really well together - smooth with subtle details.  Was it BrianEno that wrote about ambient music being like 'audible wallpaper'? - as if it was sometimes like an invisible part of the space, but then u can get drawn in by the patterns for closer attention.  I've picked this track out because I think it might be a sample of the Baka people water-drumming from Cameroon in amongst track 8 - the original was sort of tech-house in the rain with an ulrich-schnauss-meets-boards of-canada pad near the outro but this remix could almost be a track released on ISHQ's record label - so maybe it isn't a sample of another culture but a processed field-recording instead?  not that there's a real distinction, with people part of nature I guess.  Anyway, I like the track:

ah, my CD just arrived yesterday and I can't find a youtube clip already, but there's snippets up via Juno website.  This track8: Dave DK -Veira (Leandro Fresco remix) is incorrectly featured as tracks 9&10 on the Juno player but the whole album is lovely I think - with a pink orchid cover - maybe the makers like ISHQ too!

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/pop-ambient-2016/587968-01/ 

It is an almost beatless compilation and one for horizontal chilling I feel, but more of a background thing as a whole rather than to soundtrack a journey.  Some tracks hint at a different experience in another setting perhaps.  Also features some non-tonal elements in amongst the space drones - this Leonardo Fresco track now felt warmer with the introduction of warmer pitched tones and an acoustic guitar.  Overall, it feels friendly and I like the spaciousness rather than too many layers.  Hmm now it's a shifting synth pad than feels alive and warm - I like that hint of a reed instrument too.  Ha I didn't mean to live blog my listening - just a heads up about the album : ) 

http://massappeal.com/thundercat-and-monopoly-paris/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Bitly&utm_content=Photo&utm_campaign=ParisTribute

"Sometimes a eulogy needs no words. Thundercat—L.A. bassist, multi-instrumentalist, and acclaimed producer on Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp A Butterfly—has come forward today to share an instrumental composition dedicated to the victims of the Paris shootings."

- also Recloose with his Hit it & Quit it radio show is always worth a listen

over&out

I have so many gaps in my listening, it's not even funny - lol I think Laraaji did some laughing workshops?

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jul/08/laraaji-brian-eno-of-laughter

anyway, I only have the re-issue comp of his cassette releases, but felt like exploring a bit more of his music today, starting off with this track - sounds like a cd to order already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hes0hRY9v8

edit:  woah, he's  made some incredible! music - defo keen to investigate more : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87E2ZRy21V8

editx2: no doubt it's the sort of stuff 'psybient' international touring "DJs" are already show-casing, but if somehow it's slipped thru the gaps, then can I suggest a CD by Audio Active & Laraaji (!) It rocks my world to find such a rich seem of wonderful music - thank you Laraaji   *giggles*

Thought I'd give this a listen and was pleasantly surprised, as I couldn't remember his contributions to a couple of compilations I'd listened to before. Really relaxing and agreeable downtempo, not too psychedelic but quite deep enough, with warm pads. I guess I happen to be in the mood for it.

This. When I first listened to it the overly proggy elements put me off, but I'm slowly letting go of that hang-up and enjoying music I couldn't bear to listen to for too long. There's so much going on in these tunes.

Latest Ishq album. Although there's something to be gained from all of Hillier's releases, somehow this album feels closer to me. I think it might be my favourite Hillier release since Flowering Mountain Earth, if not even And Awake. It feels a bit more varied in terms of moods.

which one?

Ishq has release so much in the last year I'm struggling to keep up.

digging into my old collection, and would like to share with you this track from VA - Spiritual Worlds (2CD) 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1otmouHOvg

love that track, but I know it from VA - Eclipse [Twisted Records] which has some legendary Posford tracks on it. I really wish more Walter Ego tracks existed (Simon's dub alias)

love that track, but I know it from VA - Eclipse [Twisted Records] which has some legendary Posford tracks on it. I really wish more Walter Ego tracks existed (Simon's dub alias)

Yeeeah man, Nomads of Dub - Spirals, what a tune! :wub: A collaboration made in heaven that's rather unlikely to happen again. That compilation would be flawless if it had a couple more unreleased tunes in the place of the Shpongle track IMO.