psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Gagarin Project

What are you listening now?

No one's posted the new CBL album yet? It definitely doesn't disappoint.. true to their signature style but fresh at the same time. I'm loving Dodecahedron, Equilibrium and Accede the most. Some of the more ambient tracks are a little too Twentythree-ish for my taste, but there's something for everyone here.

Nervasystem & Aether - The Mama Matrix Most Mysterious

Supreme eclectic old school weirdness in a variety of tempos, but mainly downtempo. I've tried to listen to this before but I never got it before, expecting psytrance from Nervasystem, and forgetting about it when I saw it was downtempo. Could be a mind-opener for artists, or even listeners, who want to expand their scope. It certainly was for me.

Sheer perfection. Looking forward to seeing him in a month's time, though I'm sure he'll be much weirder. :)

I was excited to see a new album is in the works for Interchill Records called "Last Ship To Paradise", hopefully it will be a return to the sound of "Back To Earth".

Seen at the bottom of the release schedule here: http://www.arabesquedistribution.com/index.php?option=com_artistavenue&task=releaseSchedule

That's some good news, thanks for the heads up :)

I think BTE is probably my favourite ES album, having taken the place of Implant.

I'm updating this to say that it looks like Last Ship To Paradise is out of limbo hell.. it now has a November 17th release date on the Arabesque Distribution release schedule.

finally got around to listening to this, a few good tracks like Eerie Nothingness and Beyond Our Dreams but overall it's not quite as good as Back To Earth imo. what'd you think of it?

It was a rather superficial listen but yes, it's not as awesome as BtE, but that's incredibly hard to top imo. However it usually takes a good few listens before I fully appreciate an ES album, sometimes many. I did enjoy it though. And Merv's music can often be appreciated more in catalysed consciousness.

Are you familiar with Nodes Ictus timeisart (feels weird to call you that I must say :P )? Merv hasn't always been a part of them, but when he has the results are usually stunning.

Are you familiar with Nodes Ictus timeisart (feels weird to call you that I must say :P )? Merv hasn't always been a part of them, but when he has the results are usually stunning.

I've heard the Spacelines album but it's been a while, I recall it being very Ozrics-ish but more chill.. will have to give it a re-listen sometime.

and my name's Gordon if you must know ;)

I've heard the Spacelines album but it's been a while, I recall it being very Ozrics-ish but more chill.. will have to give it a re-listen sometime.

and my name's Gordon if you must know ;)

Yeah, Gordon seems much more natural. :)

There are some digital-only Nodens releases, all of them live, and Merv is on some of them. You can spot them by the extra bounciness and/or madness. Some great stuff among the lot. There are also some bootlegs with more Mervness on them but less than great sound.

I also like the Hi-Fi Companions album he did with Steve Jolliffe, loungey but very classy.

overall it's not quite as good as Back To Earth imo. what'd you think of it?

After a few more listens it's starting to make more sense. I like all the tracks but in typical Merv fashion he doesn't walk previously trodden paths - apart from the madness factor. Overall it's less accessible than BtE, less catchy, but imo more psychedelic. I still enjoy BtE more than any other Eat Static album, so anything of that magnitude would have been a huge surprise. What I love about Merv's music is that although it's very often on the verge of total chaos, it's rarely without some sort of melody.

Has your view on it changed at all?