psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
droneklang

Plugin sequencer or daw sequencer?

Something ive been asking myself several times when starting a project in Ableton Live, Cubase or StudioOne 3.

Especially when creating drums and arp tracks. I have some synth and drum plugins which has in built  internal sequencers/arpeggiators.

Do you prefer programming the patterns inside these vst sequencers or do you prefer to have the midi notes on a midi track in the daw?

Or both? Im trying to figure out how to ease the workflow when starting a new project and are curious how other people deal with it. And especially why you prefer it this or that way  B)

Generally always try do things with the DAW.  Including modulation of parameters (I'd rather use the Bitwig LFO than any built in LFO)

It's more consistent, you dont have to learn so many different tools and know exactly how you expect them to behave in every circumstance.  You can also switch out the synth or whatever for something else with minimal effort

Generally always try do things with the DAW.  Including modulation of parameters (I'd rather use the Bitwig LFO than any built in LFO)

It's more consistent, you dont have to learn so many different tools and know exactly how you expect them to behave in every circumstance.  You can also switch out the synth or whatever for something else with minimal effort

Good advice.

For arp sequencing it depends which synth I'm currently working on. Some synths seem to have amazing built in arp sequencers like the new Uhe Hive.

It depends, sometimes I am using internal sequencer, sometime I am mixing arpeggio from two devices and record the midi pattern in DAW to produce complex layers. I am also using a lot of midi sequnecers from Reaktor to record midi.

For arpeggios check this out: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/11057/