psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Phase47

Arboreal Bandstand

I haven't played live outside since highschool punk bands, but I was struck by the power of a recent occurrence. 

This (attached) is Chris Bryant (S1gns of L1fe) and I playing live @ Fuzzyland as Ascendant. (I'm hidden behind the giant ornament!) Tom Rothrock puts on an amazing event a couple times a year up on the edge of the Angeles National forest in CA. 

It's impossible to gauge the scale of this place from pictures. The stage is up in this massive, multi-level treehouse that's built around a huge ancient tree. All around are small hills and plateaus where people perch in mini-tribes - almost like playing in the round in some kind of natural amphitheater.

There is something completely transcendent about playing in the open-air, under the stars. There's definitely another connection being made. The perfect kind of venue for ambient / downtempo music in my opinion. People laughing, dancing, having a great time, all connected by the music. Indoor / theater-style gigs can be amazing, but I'm not sure they can completely break through the same way.

Thoughts?

(You can hear our music here.)

post-42-0-98222500-1424141514_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-85091500-1424141560_thumb.jpg

Thoughts about playing live or about giant treeouse or about your music guy?

Here are my thoughts about "playing live" :

glad you had this nice super experience, i love to play live, even sometimes is physically hard to play at 5am, or when equipement don't work as it should (bad monitors, or not enouph space to install properly). You have that immidiate feedback, you can see that the music rise up people high. One other downside of playing live is that i have strong desire to go on the "dance floor" to enjoy thte music with people and not be in front of computer for hours.

i imagine how awesome it is to listen to Ascendant live under the stars !

- What is the general ambiance at the event?

- is it multi style event?

You shall try to play at COSM (venue created by Alex Grey), i have a feeling that is very nice vibe and crowd there.

- What is the general ambiance at the event?

- is it multi style event?

You shall try to play at COSM (venue created by Alex Grey), i have a feeling that is very nice vibe and crowd there.

The ambience was pretty magical. The place itself sort of inspires the vibe. The people were fantastic. It was like walking into a place filled with your life-long best friends that you haven't met yet. More pictures here.

It was multi-style, but only one sound-source, which makes a big difference. So we opened on Saturday night, played for an hour and a half, then it was a house DJ and then it went to another live act that was more uptempo.

COSM sounds interesting - do you know Alex Grey? Maybe you can put us in touch.