psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy

I'm looking for new headphones and I would like to know what headphones are you using?

And which would you recommend for production/monitor use that would also be good and comfort for casual listening?

(And let's say that the price range for what I'm looking for is below 200€...) Thank you! :)

I've been using Sennheiser HD201 for years, both for casual listening & monitoring (when I can't use my speakers at home). These are dirt cheap headphones (20 euros!) and you will be pleasantly surprised by their quality. I would buy them over and over again.

for monitoring i use shure srh550dj headphones (http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/headphones/srh550dj-professional-quality-dj-headphones)

good sound, crappy built quality..

for listening on the go i had sennheiser hd 239 (http://nl-be.sennheiser.com/on-ear-headphones-travel-stereo-hd-239).

verry comfy & good sound but the cable broke of at the jack... very unfortunatly..

now i use in-ear sennheisers, standard sennheiser quality and very strong, i left'm ones in my pocket and put them in the washingmachine and they came out verry neat and crispy and worked prefectly (http://nl-be.sennheiser.com/earphones-headphones-sound-isolating-cx-400-ii)

Thanks for your replies. I don't have really an opinion on that should I get open or closed headphones... I think I'll prefer for those which are more comfortable :)

Sennheisers seem to be popular here.. So far I've been using my Sony MDR-700's at home for casual monitoring and when DJ'ing but the sound quality is quite crappy and they're not too comfortable either... I think that even my Creative HQ-1700's are more better which I use at work for listening to music :)

For home listening I use B&W P5 right now. Really nice sound, imo. They are closed which makes them good for using during transportation (that's also where I use them most).

I'll agree with the above post, though. For live Sennheiser HD25 seems the way to go and studio Beyerdynamics seem nice. Good price and good sound.

Modular DIY headphones looks petty neat ! 4 components and 360 possibilities.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2015/04/15/aiaiai-announces-tma-2-modular-customize-your-headphones/

p.s as for me i use Sennheiser HD 380 pro and love them to mix with them in events. But would probably choose an opens one for producing at home.

After a very long comparison and searching between quality and low budget I've come to conclusion to order Audio-Technica ATH-M50 X -studio headphones.

http://www.thomann.de/fi/audio_technica_ath_m50_x.htm

my friend just purchased this ones for DJ mixes. She is happy :) 

i purchased resently beyerdynamics 880, open headphones, definetely not possible to play a live or dj set at festival if you need cleam monitoring, but for home producing or enjoyement is great.

if i would wanted a one for dj set, i would go for 770 ;)

anyway, now this is my fav brand - beyerdynamics :)

After a very long comparison and searching between quality and low budget I've come to conclusion to order Audio-Technica ATH-M50 X -studio headphones.

http://www.thomann.de/fi/audio_technica_ath_m50_x.htm

Having used these now for a year I've came to conclusion that I need better headphones for studio use  :D

These are good for quick studio use and very good for DJ'ing but now I think I need to upgrade again...

looking for a new pair of commuting (on foot, bike, train, airplane,...) headgear at the moment.

i lost my trusty sennheiser earplugs... 

earplugs (in ear) are great but they fell out of my ears quite a lot, must be my ears, i don't know :)

so anyway, now i'm looking for gear with a headband, strong and not big.

i came across these from AIAIAI: http://www.bax-shop.be/nl/aiaiai-tracks-black-headset-zwart#tab-reviews

just what i need: slick, simple, a good sound and not to expensive

but, in the review a guy writes there is a lot of sound leakage...

i myself don't like people who are sitting next to me with headgear on where the sound comes pouring out like shatterd glass :)

so yeah i don't want to become that guy if you know what i mean :)

does anyone have any ideas for slick, strong travel headphone with almost no leakage?

lemme know! :)

I've just purchased the AKG k712 for 225€ on thomann after reading hips of tests about studio monitoring headphones.

I could have chosen the beyerdynamics but to be honest, I much prefered AKG's look. So did I choose the K712 instead of 702 for the supposedly boost at low frequencies. For the moment I must admit they're not very big at lows. But I don't like personnaly low emphasizing too much, and I read people finding a running-in period that helped the bass to be more present. Anyway my set are very good headphones, and considering what I've just written I'd definetly recommend them.

Good luck brother.

My favorites headphones:

Live setup: Sennheiser HD-25 (good isolation, nice bass and power)

Studio setup: Beyerdynamics DT-770 (closed) or DT-990 (open) (can be used for hours, warm bass, smooth treble)

Agreed

Beyerdynamic are nice for studio production. However I often find when I have worked on something on headphones and then move to speakers there is usually a lot of readjustments to be made. It doesn't seem to matter which headphones I use. Definitely open backed for studio use though, closed back for djing.

I would say that sound sculpting and getting the core of your tune together is better on speakers. I think where headphones come in for me is during the arrangement part when you can pop a laptop on your er lap and get stuck into creating an interesting arrangement flow.

They are not really for music production, but I can wholeheartedly recommend Bose headphones (I know they're really pricey though). I work as a software developer and my QC25's noise cancellation gives a really good isolation for focusing on my work.

Earlier I've been into AKG, but for practically every single model I've tried, it broke really easily, as it wouldn't be a good fit for my head... :D

I'm thinking to move mostly to use headphones in my production since I found the acoustics in my flat impossible for production... Still going to use monitors to check the sound and when playing around. They should be something I can wear for hours. I have Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 usb-soundcard so I don't think I'll have to get another amplifier just for headphones...

So the question is which open headphones would you recommend? I'm thinking Sennheiser 650HD and going to test some Beyerdynamics from the same price range but so far I'm thinking the Sennheisers... I already have ATH m50x for DJ'ing and production (they are good for production with low end) so I'm looking something to go together with those.

Thanks! :)