psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Xpander

Who's the best artists in Psybient right now?

There are so many artists and styles now. The scene has exploded it seems to me (in the last 5 years).... but who are the best artists making the timeless records now??. Stuff that brings the whole scene together in agreement of its quality. I'm bit out of the loop currently.

You can check out the release tables from the past couple years to see what people seemed to like best, although everyone's tastes are different so try some of these to find what you like:

2016 Releases Table (click the Forum Rankings tab then click the 1st place button to see the top voted releases from the weekly polls throughout the year)

2017 Releases Table (use the Rank drop down menu and click 1st to see the top voted releases from the weekly polls throughout the year)

2018 Releases Table (use the Featured drop down menu and click Featured, since I'm not doing weekly polls anymore these are based on people's comments who said they liked a release, or just releases that I thought should be featured.)

Hard question and you're absolutely right! There are so many artists and labels releasing new music that I actually find it difficult to explore new music nowadays :D

There are few labels I'll try to follow and check their new releases but I'm sure that there's so much new music and talented artists that you won't ever notice because the mass is so huge...

And back to the original question... Can't really name the best artist but labels like Melusine, Mystic Sound, Mindspring and Synphaera have released some pretty good chill lately! :)

I agree with Andorra on this one, it's easier to follow labels. I also agree with the ones he suggested, adding Microcosmos and Astropilot Music.

I think there's so much to listen to at all times that it's almost impossible -at least for me- to listen to something new enough to know it's a masterpiece. Those usually require repeated listens and I usually reserve that for established artists, especially if I don't catch their work with one or two listens.

Yeah using labels as the means to find releases is for sure the way. What I find interesting though is that the collective scene is generally very individual with tastes and who it considers to be 'the best' the big player' or the 'leader' of the music. Shpongle, OTT, Eat Static, Solar Fields, CBL et al are the kind that have this sort of status and whole scene appeal, but they are the older generation really...arguably had their best days now (even though they are still quality)

I wonder who will take on the role/torch and if they can produce material that will be as iconic and long lasting as we had from the late 90's and early 2000's. Astropilot was a good suggestion. The Psybient scene is so broad now and niche....you can find very specific tastes and sub scenes....but is their anyone in the new generation that is uniting us all in agreement and amazement?

It's difficult to think of truly "timeless" albums released in the past few years, but the debut album from The Flying Mars released in 2016 is a contender imo:

Globular has been touted as the successor to Ott as the king of psydub, but Land Switcher is amazing too.

I know some people here don't like psybass but that's where a lot of innovation is coming from these days imo. Seamoon, MantisMash, Master Minded, Quanta, Wolf Tech, Grouch, Soulacybin, Eurythmy, Spundose... all great artists.

I wonder who will take on the role/torch and if they can produce material that will be as iconic and long lasting as we had from the late 90's and early 2000's.

I can't think of anyone, mainly for two reasons: a) there was a lot of unexplored ground when the early artists started, a lot of which has been covered now and B) there's so much coming out these days that it's really hard to tell a classic on release. If at all, this will be done retrospectively, judging by impact and continued mentioning as a great album, especially by new listeners.

The Flying Mars album is excellent :)

I have to say that Man With No Ego is one of the few 'modern' artists that has captured me like the old. Seems to have a big following as well, with Web of Life and Blinkers removed clocking up nearly 5 millions views together, which in this day and age is a huge success and very impressive. I concur that there is something special about his music, even if I cant put my finger on why.

Still feel that the scene is missing some organic/analogue sounding stuff, which puts the focus on simplicity and space.

Still feel that the scene is missing some organic/analogue sounding stuff, which puts the focus on simplicity and space.

Been checking out some of Greg Hunter's works recently and he sounds pretty organic. Kaya Project too. Neither of them is new though. Saw the Vlastur live band show last year (I think) and they were mostly organic, but I wasn't too impressed.

What happened to The Peaking Goddess Collective? Did they ever release anything after Organika?