psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Robonaut

Looking for psybient with lots of alien/U.F.O. samples & atmosphere

On 4/15/2021 at 7:09 AM, yiannis said:

Since you mentioned it, a very large chunk of Eat Static's work. But you probably already know that. 🙄

Eat Static's Abduction & Implant albums are stone-cold classics.  But then they went into that drum 'n' bass period with Science of the Gods and I completely lost interest in them.

Are any of their later albums good?

12 hours ago, Robonaut said:

Are any of their later albums good?

Depends what you're looking for. 2008's Back to Earth and their latest, 2017's Last Ship to Paradise, are downtempo and amazing imo. 2000's Crash & Burn! and 2001's In the Nude! are pretty eclectic, with all kinds of weird stuff, some loungy and accessible elements there, with ES's touch of course. 2007's De-Classified is a return to their techno roots with one of my favourite tracks of theirs, Tractor Beam, which is drum'n'bassy btw. Finally, 2016's double Dead Planet is split in half, uptempo and downtempo, and is simultaneously a kind of recap and an experiment. The downtempo side is very weird. YouTube is your friend.

It's worth mentioning that SotG was the hardest album to get into for me too, and is still my least favourite.

They are oldies, but I recc Pink Elln - Electronic Dreamplant, Spacetime Continuum - Sea Biscuit, and Bill Laswell - City Of Light (this last a collab with Tetsu Inoue and two members of Coil).

All of them date to the 90's Golden Age of Ambient Electronica era.

You might also like a later album:  Mystical Sun - Volcanoes And U.F.O.'s