psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
yiannis

Most enjoyed live act

I have only seen a handful of psychill live acts, mostly Ultimae artists, but a couple of others too. If I had to choose a couple of them as the ones I enjoyed the most, I would go for H.U.V.A. Network and possibly Miktek. They were both very deep and blissful. I've seen a few DJ sets, most notably two Posford downtempo sets but that's another story - they don't count as live acts. On a final note, I was at the Twisted party the Hallucinogen in Dub live album was recorded, but I find the studio album noticeably better. Younger Brother were quite enjoyable live too, in a similar line-up to Shpongle, as was Ott (on his own), but again nothing to go crazy about IMO.

What about you? Any live downtempo experiences you would like to share? Possible disappointments can be discussed too.

One of the best acts I've witnessed was Dirty Hippy & Evil Oil Man at Boom last summer. Those two guys rocked the floor so hard I couldn't believe it. Perfect mix of uptempo and downtempo tunes making it one of the accomplished live sets I've ever heard. Other than that Master Margherita's live set from the same night was really good as well. Both sets stand to me as totally next level dancefloor music.

A runner up and possible shared first place goes to Carbon Based Lifeforms a couple of years ago at a little farm in my home town. Pure bliss from the two Swedes. They returned to the farm last year (with Solar Fields as well) where my partner and I had the pleasure of warming up for the two acts. 

I've only seen a few live acts - Shpongle (DJ Set) at Earthcore in Melbourne was right up there - I saw Juno reactor live at the Brewery in Byron Bay this weekend, and it blew my mind - I'm not usually into too much uptempo stuff, but juno Reactor manages to maintain melody while delivering amazing structure through beats. Fantastic performance - the dancer was fantastic as well.

I would love to see a full Shpongle live tour.

i've seen juno reactor 3 times and they always hit the spot! :)

Union Jack opening the dance floor one night @ SUN was also very nice, the retro vibe was awesome!

But one stands out for me: Man With No Name on the last day @ ozora a few years back, man, that was pure XTC :)

ow yeah, Biosphere in a planterium (brussels). 

imagine: laying in comfy seats staring at an artificial night sky full of stars!

Unfortunately I didn't get to see AstroPilot last Saturday, as he wasn't given a visa and therefore did not appear at the party :( I was looking forward to that but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

However this Saturday there's Prana with The Delta. Prana will be Tsuyoshi with Andy Guthrie, both legends in electronic psychedelia. Looking forward to that as much :)

Edit: Just found out Guthrie isn't coming. Is there a curse or something?

..And back home, rather knackered. Suduaya did a 3 hour set, roughly half downtempo half uptempo. The downtempo part was simply amazing, but I found the uptempo one a bit hit-and-miss. He played some great tunes but also some pretty minimal and repetitive. Overall I'm more than satisfied, at least on par with Asura. I only saw about half an hour of Cabeiri, which I liked a lot, before tiredness and sleepiness prompted me to go home. I wish I could have stayed a bit longer but I still enjoyed myself immensely.

Red Hot Chili Peppers and Jamiroquai :D

These guys are really LIVE:-)

Alive and kicking.

Electronic music is kicking too,but its just not the same, I assume:-)

And want to see Shpongle full band live. Shpongle DJ set by Simon was cool though

E-Mantra was amazing; up there with the best of them. Gagarin, after a somewhat misleading Mystical Experieneces intro, played a relatively uptempo, really funky set and we had a couple of brief chats. Strangely, the dancefloor was almost empty during E-Mantra's set but that didn't prevent me from having an excellent time - it even gave me more space to move about in.  :)  

E-Mantra was amazing; up there with the best of them. Gagarin, after a somewhat misleading Mystical Experieneces intro, played a relatively uptempo, really funky set and we had a couple of brief chats. Strangely, the dancefloor was almost empty during E-Mantra's set but that didn't prevent me from having an excellent time - it even gave me more space to move about in.  :)  

why misleading ? it was leading into the "midtempo" 80-90 => 100-110 bpm slow trance set :)

Got to see Ott last night for a second time, was sooooo good. Grouch and Nanoplex were also supporting, was an amazing show in an amazing venue. Damn I'm lucky I like this music ;)

Shpongle is probably the greatest psychedelic act I have ever seen though!

Got to see Ott last night for a second time, was sooooo good. Grouch and Nanoplex were also supporting, was an amazing show in an amazing venue. Damn I'm lucky I like this music ;)

Shpongle is probably the greatest psychedelic act I have ever seen though!

I really enjoyed Ott the first time, it was around the release of Skylon. Second time I was so smashed I couldn't even face the stage. Pity, as I'd been looking forward to it. Was the set you saw based on his latest?

Also did you see the band set-up Shpongle? That's a dream - thank god for the DVDs.

Going to see Shpongle again this year, and I am so excited. 

Also playing is his Halluncinogen alias, Trip-Switch (love) and also Kaya Project (love). Not to mention Nanoplex who have an amazing style of psychdelic/techno thing going (seen twice now) and also Gaudi who I saw Boom many years back and I loved. Basically a 10/10 night :)

Going to see Shpongle again this year, and I am so excited. 

Also playing is his Halluncinogen alias, Trip-Switch (love) and also Kaya Project (love). Not to mention Nanoplex who have an amazing style of psychdelic/techno thing going (seen twice now) and also Gaudi who I saw Boom many years back and I loved. Basically a 10/10 night :)

Sounds good. It's a Simon set right? I've seen a video - which I posted in the videos thread iirc - where he does different versions of Shpongle tunes, more dancy and electronic but still enjoyable and certainly creative and fresh. Xpander, would you mind reporting on this show? I'm particularly interested in what kind of set Tripswitch does these days - does he still include psychill tunes or is it all house now?