psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Flying Lotus

What Equipement do you use?

NI Audio 2

Spoke with 2 DJs who play mainstage, they both use NI Audio2 soundcards and are happy with it.

Pioneer DJM900

I tried recently to use DJM900 soundcard and i have to say that is really easy to plug in the USB cable and don't do the cabling.

Pioneer CDJ2000

i also experimented recentmy with 2 CDJ2000 via HID mode and using them as soundcards with an external mixer and was pretty good.

The missing elements in this setup would be a X1 for the track selection. But with this setup you don't have acess to the traktor internal FX, which i am used to much more then DJM.

indeed, i was trying to imagine my workflow on 1 K2 and it feel like there will not be enouph buttons for what i am used to with S4.

with 1K2 you basically have to choose betweek 4 channels via 2 channels and 2 FX.

i rarely use 2 FX decks, so i might try to use 3 channels + 1 FX channel. (will try to borrow the K2 from a friend).

yes, 3 channels + 1 FX channel is my ideal setup at the moment, but i didn't find a good mapping like this yet

if you have a decent mapping like that, i'm happy to try it out! :)

'cause it tried mapping it myself but man, it's horrible complicated and time-consuming!

I recently moved from Traktor to Ableton for mixing. I started out on a Numark Mixtrack Pro which malfunctioned, but the jogwheels aren't necessary with Ableton anyway. Now I use a Novation Nocturn with Ableton whilst I figure out what to get next - I like the look of the S2 for more traditional style mixing but an Ableton Push looks like it'd be lots of fun :)

I own Traktor software, which is amazing for putting together sets and trying things out, but for playing out live, despite my intention of getting NI hardware to go along with the Traktor software, it's been Ableton Live + Push and it's been rock solid. There are some things it doesn't do naturally that you can do in Traktor, but it's also a much more open system and easy to travel with and set up.

carl cox is playing with s8 + 2 cdj .... his previous setup were 4 CDJ... 

let's see how long he will last with this setup  :)

what i can't understand if he uses them as a controllers of if he plays cds / files. If you are patient enough to analyse the video below let me know please :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUUOG3VoN1Y

-----------------------------

Kukan dUb Lagan played a DJ set with native instruments traktor S2 last summer (2014).

Headroom played a DJ set with Audio 2 and NI X1 in Paris in 2015.

Me, i am planning to buy "xone k2" as a portable alternative to my current NI S4 ("beloved since few years"). Still not sure if i will manage to work without "jog wheels". Planning to borrow it from a friend.

Will try to compare the Xone soundcard vs NI Audio2.

What i love about s4 is comparison to s2, is that i had few problems because of the dust in one of the faders but still could continue the set because i had 4 of them, if i had only 2 channels i would probably be in trouble.

p.s. btw if you happen to have "undesired faders move" in traktor or other software, you may try to remove dust or dirt with compressed air.

How... just how do people use rotary mixers?  

I don't DJ, but I can't even imagine doing a live set without faders.  How do you spin a rotary encoder fast enough to DJ with?  

That Condesa Lucia is maybe the sexiest mixer I've ever seen, but I'm amazed that people are making the encoder thing work in a live setting.   

I don't DJ, but I can't even imagine doing a live set without faders.  How do you spin a rotary encoder fast enough to DJ with?  

That Condesa Lucia is maybe the sexiest mixer I've ever seen, but I'm amazed that people are making the encoder thing work in a live setting.   

as i understand it is used more for smooth mixing, so you don't need to "throw" and "cut" :)

i know personally 1 dj who is a fan of this type of mixer, he prays for soundquality. i don't remember the name of model he has.

I mix tracks at home in Tracktor with Numark Mixtrack controller and MOTU Microbook II soundcard

Also I have got Axelvox monitors (I want to buy Adam later) and Yamaha subwoofer and good balanced cabels

When I at party I like pioneer 400 mixer and 100 decks - classic equipment

I play my mixes only about 2 or 3 times in the year, so I don't want to buy laptop with some pad or mini controller, but of course mixing with tracktor is much easier

Completely no, quality's the same. I also bought waterproof (beerproof), dustproof, shockproof case for Ipad so it's safe on the table in club or at the festival. This option is waaaaaay better than using delicate, much more expensive computer.

Only disadvatage is that Traktor dj app got only two channels (if you will connect it to the S4 it will only use two channels) and there is no option to use remix decks. But size of the tablet, everything-proof case and smootlhy working plug and play wins for me.

When I started playing like this even laptop dj's looked at me a bit strange, but I always told them this is better ;)

Completely no, quality's the same. I also bought waterproof (beerproof), dustproof, shockproof case for Ipad so it's safe on the table in club or at the festival. This option is waaaaaay better than using delicate, much more expensive computer.

Only disadvatage is that Traktor dj app got only two channels (if you will connect it to the S4 it will only use two channels) and there is no option to use remix decks. But size of the tablet, everything-proof case and smootlhy working plug and play wins for me.

When I started playing like this even laptop dj's looked at me a bit strange, but I always told them this is better ;)

which case have you got ? :)

I've never DJd with a fader, so I have no idea how those people do it. :)

It's actually quite easy, you chose two tracks and turn the knobs to fade and blend them, it's certainly not rocket science.

Had the Lucia a while now, still in love!