psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Flying Lotus

What Equipement do you use?

I use both cd's and laptop + controller.

For me cd's have the advantage that with a good selection of 24 cd's in a small pouch + my headphones I can travel light.

The advantage of laptop + controller is the huge amount of music I can take with me, and not being limited by the brand or model of CDJ's and mixer wherever I play.

For cd's I use 2 Pioneer CDJ 500S's and 2 Pioneer CDJ 200's with a Allen & Heath Xone 464 mixer.

For digital I use Traktor Pro on a Acer Travelmate B113 (i5 / 8Gb / 250 Gb SSD) + Vestax TR-1

The TR-1 is already a quite older model, but specially made for traktor, it's rocksolid metal build and there are some nice different midimappings available for free on the web.

There are no jogwheels, you can seach and scroll using buttons, but even the latest Native Instruments S8 does not have them anymore.

Another nice thing is that you can find a new TR-1 for about 99 euros if you look around so it is about 10 times cheaper that a S8  :)

vestax-tr-1-736687.jpg

For now we use a Traktor Kontrol X1 MkII and external soundcard when playing out. It's perfectly and it's VERY transportable which is a plus. Only two things I miss is two extra channels and tempo control, however the extra channels would only be necessary when playing dancing music.

For now we use a Traktor Kontrol X1 MkII and external soundcard when playing out. It's perfectly and it's VERY transportable which is a plus. Only two things I miss is two extra channels and tempo control, however the extra channels would only be necessary when playing dancing music.

X1 is classic. May i ask what soundcard do you use?

Just a Traktor Audio 2. Very simple setup, perfect for traveling (which I don't really do any of, but aaaanyway). I'm sort of looking to have it replaced by an S4 if I can find one for good money. Or another X1 and a soundcard with two more stereo channels. Audio 4 DJ for example.

I recently moved from Traktor to Ableton for mixing. I started out on a Numark Mixtrack Pro which malfunctioned, but the jogwheels aren't necessary with Ableton anyway. Now I use a Novation Nocturn with Ableton whilst I figure out what to get next - I like the look of the S2 for more traditional style mixing but an Ableton Push looks like it'd be lots of fun :)

I started out with cd players - Denon 2600F and later Pioneer DMP555s (which I love, and which have the BPM down to 1 decimal point).  I still have both cd j setups because you can't really get any decent money for the Denons anyway, and I like the Pioneers.

Now I use a laptop (Asus) and Ableton for dj-ing, with an APC40, external hard drive and external soundcard.  Warping tracks takes a bit of time but the upside is that I can dj without headphones.  (I don't dj very often anyway, it's more of a hobby than a profession for me.  but music is my passion regardless).

I'd like to get the APC40 MK2 at some stage, I think.  I like that it is USB-powered.

I also changed to digital three years ago. So now i use the Traktor Kontrol S4 together with a Samsung laptop. The laptop is used only for the music, so i don't need a firewall or a an antivirus programm on it and never had any latency problems.

Compared to mixing with the cds, i love the creative possibilties of the digital djing, like the looping or the editing of a track on the fly, the massive amount of fx and so on. To see the waveforms of the tracks is also very helpful in the mixing process. In the age of buying digital, i also enjoy not to have to burn all the tracks on cds before i use them.

was wondering what equipement do you use to mix ambient / psybient music ?

I use Traktor Pro 2 software with Traktor Z1 kontroller. It's simple for playing chill-out and handy to travel with.

Lately I've been thinking to purchase something else that I could use both with my live set-up and dj gigs.

One controller I've been really interested in is Livid Instruments OHM RGB (or OHM64 which is pretty much the same..).

Does anyone have any experience with this controller?

What I've read it would be almost perfect for my purposes but it's quite expensive so I'm still considering about that...

* A piece of crap HP laptop with Windows XP from 2008 (have had to change the hard drive a few times to fit all my music on it, also it's never been on the internet so no antivirus/firewall software running and has absolutely no useless software installed in the first place).

* Korg Nanokontrol

* Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1

* Software: djDecks 0.99 with a self-made custom skin to suit my needs

* Pioneer DJM-250 for home mixing

A surprisingly stable setup and even if I've been eyeing some new equipment I think I'll keep this setup until it breaks down (hopefully not in the middle of a gig).

I never even considered CDs when I decided to start DJing in 2010. I already had the laptop (which as stated needed a bigger hard drive to fit all my music), a soundcard with 2 stereo outputs (not the AK1 though yet, got that one in early 2011) and a MIDI controller (also not the Nanokontrol, that was an early 2011 purchase too) I'd been using for theater sounds, so it was rather natural to turn the setup into a DJing rig. Also, with a laptop I can keep my entire music collection with me, so I can play some goa instead of chill (or vice versa) if asked nicely :)

In the age of buying digital, i also enjoy not to have to burn all the tracks on cds before i use them.

That was what got me over the line into digital dj'ing in the end.  I was forever burning cds  - (now I am forever warping tracks) -  and had piles of them everywhere.  I was really running out of room for them.

That said, soon I will have to cull my digital music collection as it is ever-expanding and some old stuff I don't listen to anymore.

Currently I'm using a Vestax VCI 100SE midi controller with some custom mappings  + Traktor Pro 2 + the Audio 2 soundcard (just like Mønsterhed).

It's pretty simple but effective. Also you don't need to haul around with flightcases like with an s4 or s8.

null_zpse5bb0b54.jpg

(pic from the web)

Might  get an extra effects panel when I get a few more paychecks ^^

I use Traktor Pro 2 software with Traktor Z1 kontroller. It's simple for playing chill-out and handy to travel with.

Lately I've been thinking to purchase something else that I could use both with my live set-up and dj gigs.

One controller I've been really interested in is Livid Instruments OHM RGB (or OHM64 which is pretty much the same..).

Does anyone have any experience with this controller?

What I've read it would be almost perfect for my purposes but it's quite expensive so I'm still considering about that...

I also use traktor & Z1. That combination is indeed very compact and good stuff.

And i'm looking for more control and 4 decks myself.

First I thought i could fix that with another Z1 and a X1 MK2.

But, people are telling me that 2 Z1's are not compatible because they both have a built in soundcard.

So, i've bin looking out for another solution and the only compact kontroler that i find is the Xone K2 van A&H.

If I map that thing the right way I can have my 4 decks and more control.

But mapping...souds complicated to me :)

Maybe i'll check this OHM out :)

And i'm looking for more control and 4 decks myself.

it is hard to get anything smaller than xone K2. The mapping are all ready in traktor bible, i am sure you can find something adapted for your needs.

Actually, i am considering it for myself to replace the Native Instruments Traktor S4 i am using now. S4 is great but i don't always feel like transporting it with me. Specially for international gigs. The thing that i miss at xone is the lack of jog wheels, and i am using them a lot now. Just tried to mix without them yetserday and didn't succed much. It is hard to go from something as comfortable as S4 to a smaller device.

I ahd pretty good experience in using CDJ900 with Traktor recently via usb. But still it can't replace my workflow of track selection.

p.s.

no need for flight case for S4, i have special "Magma" dj bag for it. You can even fly with it.

it is hard to get anything smaller than xone K2. The mapping are all ready in traktor bible, i am sure you can find something adapted for your needs.

Actually, i am considering it for myself to replace the Native Instruments Traktor S4 i am using now. S4 is great but i don't always feel like transporting it with me. Specially for international gigs. The thing that i miss at xone is the lack of jog wheels, and i am using them a lot now. Just tried to mix without them yetserday and didn't succed much. It is hard to go from something as comfortable as S4 to a smaller device.

I ahd pretty good experience in using CDJ900 with Traktor recently via usb. But still it can't replace my workflow of track selection.

p.s.

no need for flight case for S4, i have special "Magma" dj bag for it. You can even fly with it.

yes the S4, it is indeed good gear but to big to travel with, i share your opinion on that!

I'm no big fan of jogweels, just can't get the feeling for it, and i find it kinda, euhm, ugly :)

And i like the concept of little modues (like you have with a xone k2, Z1, etc), you can take what you need and leave the rest at home.

Next to the mapping, that is troubeling me, the xone k2, that thing is on sale for more than 2 years now, i feel A&H will come up with a new and better one, so maybe it is better to wait for buying it?

What do you mean with the 'traktor bible' for mapping a xone k2?

Is it a website with mappings on it or has traktor preset mappings inside the software?

i'm still learning about mapping...

Next to the mapping, that is troubeling me, the xone k2, that thing is on sale for more than 2 years now, i feel A&H will come up with a new and better one, so maybe it is better to wait for buying it?

What do you mean with the 'traktor bible' for mapping a xone k2?

Is it a website with mappings on it or has traktor preset mappings inside the software?

i'm still learning about mapping...

as for jogwheels

i just can't understand how can you launch your track in correct moment. do you use mouse for that?

as for xone

i am also hesitating for same reason. I don't think is possible to predict if they will release smth new soon. If you need it know the best is to buy second hand maybe. There is also K1 model without soundcard that is a bit cheaper.

as for mappings

xone probably won't work with traktor by default. but it is easy to download a TSI file from xone or from traktor bible to import it to traktor and in 2 minutes it will work. There are many different mappings. you shall check the one that is close to your needs.

yep, I use my mighty mouse for launching & selecting my tracks :)

My first idea was to combine my Z2 with a X1 MK2 from NI, but that option left me with only 2 decks and i want 4.

Remember that french burner-party in Paris, june 2013?

I showed up only with my laptop, free virtualDJ on it & my mouse:)

Back then i'd never heard of a thing called a controller! :)

Now things are different offcourse :)

The xone K1 is not my toy off choice because it has no built in soundcard.

I think i'm gonna bite the bullet soon and order me the K2.

I've bin checking out the traktor bible website and it looks not that complicated if i see al the different pre-made mapes you can download there.

And it seems that there are some maps in the xone-box if you buy it, so I guess I can pull it off :)

i remember ;) glad that that you enjoy controllers now. next step is mapping, you will see is fun.

just keep in mind that if you play at boom is better to have a separate soundcard :) the one in xone k2 is not top quality (as i know). The one from Z1 is also pretty lame.

Desert Dwellers use k2 as controllers but they use motu soundcards :)

'if you play at boom'.... that day has yet to come my friend :)

but thanx for the advise, i tought that they both had a good soundcard, i never had any problems with it yet.but you could be right if you play in big open spaces it's a bit off.

i don't know if mapping will become fun, but i'll have to do it anyway i guess :)

we are going a bit of topic here, but sound quality is very important subject in the choice of gear. Specially for those of us who are lucky to play in front of big crowds.

i have audio 2, audio 8 and s4 soundcards, i made tests with KRK6 monitors and i hear difference beween soudncards. But it is relatively hard to tell which sounds better. Each of them sound sa bit difference.

i am planning to do some tests with Funktion 1 soundsystem this summer. Last year i used it to check mp3 over wave and the difference was obvious. => much more BASS with wave.

Don't remember if i did a test in comparing the wave to flac/alac format with traktor - they shall be same. i don't use wave as it is not possible to "tag" them.

Will also test the 16bit vs 24bit. more about 24 bits here.

we are going a bit of topic here, but sound quality is very important subject in the choice of gear. Specially for those of us who are lucky to play in front of big crowds.

i have audio 2, audio 8 and s4 soundcards, i made tests with KRK6 monitors and i hear difference beween soudncards. But it is relatively hard to tell which sounds better. Each of them sound sa bit difference.

i am planning to do some tests with Funktion 1 soundsystem this summer. Last year i used it to check mp3 over wave and the difference was obvious. => much more BASS with wave.

Don't remember if i did a test in comparing the wave to flac/alac format with traktor - they shall be same. i don't use wave as it is not possible to "tag" them.

Will also test the 16bit vs 24bit. more about 24 bits here.

sound quality is indeed very important if you play with high end soundsystems.

didn't had the chance though :)

just keep in mind that if you play at boom is better to have a separate soundcard :) the one in xone k2 is not top quality (as i know). The one from Z1 is also pretty lame.

Desert Dwellers use k2 as controllers but they use motu soundcards :)

'if you play at boom'.... that day has yet to come my friend :)

but thanx for the advise, i tought that they both had a good soundcard, i never had any problems with it yet.but you could be right if you play in big open spaces it's a bit off.

Playing at BOOM would be a dream come true for me ^^ maybe in 2018 or something?! One can only dream!

Anyway, I also hear a big difference between soundcards and offcourse mp3/flac.  I love my Audio 2: playing a well-mastered FLAC over it on a big soundsystem just does something wonderful to your soul. It's not even that expensive. On a good soundsystem you can not only hear but also FEEL the difference.

i remember ;) glad that that you enjoy controllers now. next step is mapping, you will see is fun.

i have my new xone k2 for 2 weeks now (after 1 day of installing the thing i finally managed te get sounds out of it :))

at the moment i use a mapping from traktorbible.

it's a 2 deck mapping with 2 fx channels, i want to updrade to 2 K2's so i can have 4 deck faders and 4 fx faders! :)

indeed, i was trying to imagine my workflow on 1 K2 and it feel like there will not be enouph buttons for what i am used to with S4.

with 1K2 you basically have to choose betweek 4 channels via 2 channels and 2 FX.

i rarely use 2 FX decks, so i might try to use 3 channels + 1 FX channel. (will try to borrow the K2 from a friend).