psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
snowdrop

Large monitors on small speaker stand platforms...?

Hello everybody :)

I have been putting up with monitor placement on my desk with Auralex Mopads for ages now and it's finally time to start thinking about stands. I have KRK VXT8s, which are 16.5kg each, so maximum load capacity has obviously been an important factor in my search, as has price, unfortunately! The Samson MS200s seem great, but looking at the platform on which the monitors sit, it is much smaller in surface area than the base of the monitor. I don't think that would necessarily be a problem in itself, but I'd like to put the Mopads underneath the monitors in order to achieve the best decoupling possible, and it seems that this would make the setup unacceptably unstable as the Mopads are also larger in surface area than the stand platforms.

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I get something different in the way of isolating pads? Or is there a way around this that I haven't been able to see?

With fuzzy warm gratitude hugs in advance! :)

VXT8s are very good speakers ! I have heard them few times and was amazed :) 

How hight you plan to have them ?

i think it is nice to have monitors on ear level, my KRK6 are on the HIFI stands around 80 cm high and it is not really enough, and i didn't find solution other then turn them loud.

i like this shop for all gear http://www.thomann.de/they also can give you advise on the gear.

I had no idea about there are products like MoPAD's available..

Those look nice, I need to keep those in my mind.. Seems like a good choice for my needs since at the moment most of the books from my bookshelf are doing the job as my monitor "stands" on the desk :)

VXT8s are very good speakers ! I have heard them few times and was amazed :)

How hight you plan to have them ?

i think it is nice to have monitors on ear level, my KRK6 are on the HIFI stands around 80 cm high and it is not really enough, and i didn't find solution other then turn them loud.

i like this shop for all gear http://www.thomann.de/they also can give you advise on the gear.

Yeah, they're pretty awesome :) I bought them from Hedflux when he upgraded - it's pretty cool knowing that he produced most of his music that I love using them!

The stands I've been looking at are height adjustable, so no problem there. Apparently I shouldn't need the Mopads (according to people on a different forum), so that's good.

I had no idea about there are products like MoPAD's available..

Those look nice, I need to keep those in my mind.. Seems like a good choice for my needs since at the moment most of the books from my bookshelf are doing the job as my monitor "stands" on the desk :)

I also posted this question on another forum and one of the guys from OOOD (who also does mastering I believe) said his setup basically consisted of stacks of concrete paving slabs on his desk, each with blobs of blu-tack on every corner. The weight stops the vibrations :)

I work in studio interior design and acoustics... in smaller studios we most often install heavy stands (usually round, square- or hexagon-based wooden stands that you can fill up with extra dry sand inside), sometime screw / bolt them down to the floor. The sand helps to decouple the resonating base from the top of the stand, still, we always add acoustical foam (Auralex or other) pads on top of the stands' rubberized top surface for more isolation. You might want to use thin double-side-glued felt pads to secure the acoustical foam onto the rubber top, to avoid the chance of slipping.

And yes, do keep the speakers at eye level. Good luck with your install!

Don't worry about the surface area of the stand being smaller than the base of the speaker.

Mine are like that, and it is fine (c:

I work in studio interior design and acoustics... in smaller studios we most often install heavy stands (usually round, square- or hexagon-based wooden stands that you can fill up with extra dry sand inside), sometime screw / bolt them down to the floor. The sand helps to decouple the resonating base from the top of the stand, still, we always add acoustical foam (Auralex or other) pads on top of the stands' rubberized top surface for more isolation. You might want to use thin double-side-glued felt pads to secure the acoustical foam onto the rubber top, to avoid the chance of slipping.

And yes, do keep the speakers at eye level. Good luck with your install!

Thanks both :)

These are the best small / medium monitor stands I've ever use. Amazing decoupling / isolation. Really do work as advertised.

http://www.isoacoustics.com/index.php

Phaze47,

thank you for sharing.

What is the price range for this one(s) ?

Which support you advise for medium size 6 inch monitors?

Phaze47,

thank you for sharing.

What is the price range for this one(s) ?

Which support you advise for medium size 6 inch monitors?

I would stick with the IsoAcoustics:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=isoacoustics&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps 

See that link for diff. versions + prices. They're really good.