psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
yiannis

Do you prefer artists who experiment or those who remain similar?

Over the years I have found myself become increasingly set in my ways. With regards to music, I seem to crave the security of knowing what to expect from an artist. However, that's not an unbreakable rule. In fact, one of my favourite artists is Simon Posford, who explores all kinds of directions with his various projects and collaborations. Obviously there aren't many artists who produce the exact same music from one release to the next, but generally speaking, I prefer artists to only change their music slightly rather than experiment wildly - or if they do so, they do it under a different project name.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Over the years I have found myself become increasingly set in my ways. With regards to music, I seem to crave the security of knowing what to expect from an artist. However, that's not an unbreakable rule. In fact, one of my favourite artists is Simon Posford, who explores all kinds of directions with his various projects and collaborations. Obviously there aren't many artists who produce the exact same music from one release to the next, but generally speaking, I prefer artists to only change their music slightly rather than experiment wildly - or if they do so, they do it under a different project name.

Any thoughts on the subject?

I rather have an artist experiment to be honest, with that i'm not saying for an artist to do a complete 180º, for that they can do it under a new name, but i don't want to listen to the same record twice, i want something new and innovative...that was my problem with Shpongles latest album, which i found it kinda "boring" nothing stands out for me, and Posford is also one of my favourites by far. I listen to alot of different genres so i don't like an artist who stays in the same path for too long.

I agree with the above poster. I'd much rather have an artist experiment instead of doing the same sound for 10 years. If you know exactly what you're gonna get, whats the point? I want music to push my boundaries and make me think.

On that note, I'm also moving in a more experimental way sound-wise at the moment, I think. I've been listening to and playing a lot of pretty "easy" psychill the last couple of years. Now's the time to get messy!

I kind of expected these replies. I guess I'm turning into an old fart :mellow: But I do enjoy the challenge of 'spot the differences' from one release to the next, rather than 'can you believe it's still me/us?' Whatever the case, I don't think that artists like to stay in their comfort zone for too long in this genre. Also, I tend to enjoy variety within the same album, which keeps me on my toes more than homogenous sounding albums overall. That might be the reason that chillgressive is possibly the subgenre I find the hardest to listen to for extended periods.

Our tastes tend to change over time, as we get older and have new and different experiences or meet different people.  I think this applies to listeners and musicians alike.  What I listen to now is somewhat different to what I used to like.  If I was a musician my music probably would have changed as well with me.

That said, I think I like a musician to grow with their craft and style.  Sometimes there might be a complete style change - for good or bad - but more frequently I think styles change slowly over time.  I do like a bit of experimentation, and some darker harsher sorts of music, but not as much as I used to when I was younger.  But I do like some of the experimentation in glitch and bass music (provided it's listenable), and folky-ambient music too.

I kind of expected these replies. I guess I'm turning into an old fart :mellow: But I do enjoy the challenge of 'spot the differences' from one release to the next, rather than 'can you believe it's still me/us?' Whatever the case, I don't think that artists like to stay in their comfort zone for too long in this genre. Also, I tend to enjoy variety within the same album, which keeps me on my toes more than homogenous sounding albums overall. That might be the reason that chillgressive is possibly the subgenre I find the hardest to listen to for extended periods.

lol i don't think it has to do with you getting older, i'm probably older than you :D and i find that the older i get, the more "picky" i am with my music, it's not easy for me start liking a new band/project, nowadays everything sounds pretty much the same, nothing stands out for me...but at the same time i also did expand my musical taste alot with age, i used to be a one genre guy when i was a teen.

lol i don't think it has to do with you getting older, i'm probably older than you :D and i find that the older i get, the more "picky" i am with my music, it's not easy for me start liking a new band/project, nowadays everything sounds pretty much the same, nothing stands out for me...but at the same time i also did expand my musical taste alot with age, i used to be a one genre guy when i was a teen.

He he maybe you are older. I'll be 39 in September. You are right though, my attitude has probably more to do with my personality, rather than my age. I know what you mean about getting picky with age too. I have periods when I'm like "been there, heard that" relatively often. To counter balance them I try to get to the mood of, "how does it make me feel?" rather than wanting music to be innovative.

I was very much into metal as a teenager and in my early 20s, then I got into classic heavy rock, then space rock and goa trance and finally around 2002 into psybient, usually leaving previous genres behind for some time each time my tastes shifted. Nowadays I find it almost impossible to listen to any kind of rock besides space rock, but I often listen to the other genres. I think it's unlikely I'll expand my tastes anymore, but I do enjoy sampling different aspects of psychedelic downtempo. Lots of variety there.