psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Gagarin Project

psybient.org celebrates 4 years ! help us with ideas for the future

We could have our own "compilation", anyone with Photoshop/Gimp skills could make a cover, we could all pick a couple of tracks from each year for instance, when 2015 ends with the greatest tracks from this year...just an idea though

I think too many compilations these days rely on original tracks.  What's wrong with a simple "best of"?

Most artists have control of their own music these days and they can easily agree to having a previously self released track go on bandcamp for a cheap download.

I think too many compilations these days rely on original tracks.  What's wrong with a simple "best of"?

Most artists have control of their own music these days and they can easily agree to having a previously self released track go on bandcamp for a cheap download.

Best of is also a good idea

i don;t think the music production section needs to be broken into 2 sections.

just music production and djing

i don;t understand the equipment and software additional section. that comes under music production for me.

the idea was that "Technical: Equipment and Software" is for everything that is not producing and not djing.

so if you have question about a audio converter FLAC-> MP3 you put it there.

if you have a question about VST you put it to production. 

Best of is also a good idea

not sure that i understand you, the idea is to contact each artist of our top 10 and ask for a track for our best of compilation , correct ?

i ilke this idea. 

do you think that track for the best of shall be from the release that win the best of or we can propose artist to give another track ?

ideally it would be nice to have unreleased tracks, but i think the track from the latest release can be also very nice.

I would like to see a more active forum really but I don't know how or if this achieveable because most people are hooked into facebook. 

On the psymusic.co.uk forum there is a media production section that manages to keep going through a hardcore of interested folk.

Perhaps a Psybient members compilation bandcamp release?  Maybe of unreleased or new producers?

compilation is pretty hard work and the challenge is consistency and quality. taking tracks from new producers would require much more energy as more selection will be necessary.

contacting our best of 2016 winners can be much easier, and the concept of tracks selection is more direct. And even if not all of them will agree, there is a big chance that compilation will have success. If some of the artist or his label will refuse the proposed condition we try the next one from the winner list.

i was dreaming since some time to make a physical release. I think it can be a good opportunity to print this as CD and digital download via crowd-funding campaign.

name can be "VA - Best of 2015 selected by psybient.org"

- and we ask winner to provide any track previously released or unreleased.

not sure that i understand you, the idea is to contact each artist of our top 10 and ask for a track for our best of compilation , correct ?

i ilke this idea. 

do you think that track for the best of shall be from the release that win the best of or we can propose artist to give another track ?

ideally it would be nice to have unreleased tracks, but i think the track from the latest release can be also very nice.

Yes along those lines, contact the artist and ask for a track, i'm fine with having a track from the releases of our choice, and the #1 artist we choose can have an unreleased one...i think it's a nice way to promote the forum

another idea is to make a second release or second part of same release, maybe digital only, with best "new" artists tracks. 

My thought is that the ones that are in top 10 of best overall are probably already pretty established ones,

but the new artists are probably the one who needs more support.

i guess a crowd-funding campaign can be nice way to organise all. will see if i have time for manage all this.

another idea is to make a second release or second part of same release, maybe digital only, with best "new" artists tracks. 

My thought is that the ones that are in top 10 of best overall are probably already pretty established ones,

but the new artists are probably the one who needs more support.

i guess a crowd-funding campaign can be nice way to organise all. will see if i have time for manage all this.

But if it is an established artist that can also be a good thing since it can bring up more attention for the release, so that double album idea is probably the best

1stCD / Digital - Established

2ndCD / Digital - Newcomers

- if an artist will accept to participate in compilation, he will have a choice either to provide a track from they "winner" release (either) propose an unreleased track. I guess we shall insist on unreleased tracks to have some kind of exclusivity to bring more attention to this among music collectioners.

i hope it will be not too difficult to deal with labels for copyright issues.

Yeah I think concentrating on the less established artists is a good idea. Maybe one or two tracks from more established folk to draw people in.

I don't see that as a problem because There are only really a handful of artists around anyway who have any sort of recognition and success. 90%of all musicians could do with the promo.

Different dj's could do their own selection based on their favorite tracks.maybe even country specific?

There are so many compilation albums with exclusive tracks. Can you think of ANY best of albums in psy chill?

Given the amount of music that is released in this genre I think it could be quite popular thing.

As there are not so many record labels now guarding the entry of music into the world, we are now swarming in music. We need dj's to sift it and arrange the best into albums.

There are so many compilation albums with exclusive tracks. Can you think of ANY best of albums in psy chill?

Given the amount of music that is released in this genre I think it could be quite popular thing.

As there are not so many record labels now guarding the entry of music into the world, we are now swarming in music. We need dj's to sift it and arrange the best into albums.

Spatialize,

can you develop a bit more ? not sure to understand you

I would love to see more music production resources and discussions, perhaps we could commission some 'master classes' with psybient producers? 

Great idea, that would be indeed very interesting.

Youtube videos or live master classes might be a bit too challenging, but what can be done for sure is :

1. ellaboration of list of questions related to production (techniques, howto, vst to use, etc) - and we contact artist to propose them to answer. 

if you have ideas of questions , please post it here => http://forum.psybient.org/index.php/topic/1262-questions-to-producer-and-answers/

I'm a review junkie; not to write, I'm not good at that, just to read. So if there were a team of reviewers here, it'd be the first place I'd go to when I want to read about a new release.

I think that producers would value this as well. It's surprising how few 'proper' reviews are out there for psybient releases...