psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
psydub

Your mindset behind psybient music

Just curious as to how many of you use this genre to expand your mindset while stoned (name type of substance if possible) or do you use the music as a form of sonic therapy. Or both? I see lots of people posting comments on YouTube videos about it increasing their listening experience while smoking ganja.

Edited by Gagarin
i change word "will" by "while" in 1st sentense.

It depends. I don't use it for "healing", at least not consciously. I do enjoy a combination of cannabis and a bit of alcohol, but I often find myself wanting to listen to metal stoned. Psybient works wonders when I'm in a calm state of mind or very tired, sober in both cases. Sometimes it also works as accompaniment for my power walks. In a live setting I prefer the alcohol/cannabis combo, which has often given me a feeling that approximates my appreciation of music on acid (or what I remember of that - it's been a very, very long time since my last trip). I reckon it's quite likely that eventually I won't feel the desire for ganja at all and the music will carry me on its own.

I'm not pretending that cannabis wasn't instrumental in my initial appreciation of psychedelic music in general - god knows how many hours I spent listening to Ozrics, Gong and Pink Floyd completely out of my mind in the mid-to-late 90s. Perhaps a relevant question would be, those of you who started appreciating psychedelic music with the aid of the herb, would you have been able to do so without its aid?

I'm uncertain myself. I don't necessarily need it today to appreciate psy music, but I'm not sure it would've clicked in the same way without the mental fuel. I might still be an unrepentant metalhead.

That's a good question. I'm wondering the same for even on alcohol or going sober and just doing visual meditation. I started out listening to psybient music to meditate to. I could definitely get into the groove and feel as if I'm on a spiritual voyage.

Hey,

Chicken or egg question ...

I started listenning to reggae and psychedelic music before trying substances. I guess when I started smoking often, I felt more the music within me. A friend gave me a lot of trance (even though commercial such as Arvin Van Burren et al.) and I really did not understand how one could enjoy listening to these stupid, repetitive and meaningless beats.

I never came across any kind of psychedelic at the time but I think I was always curious about mind altering substances.

After this period, for a  few years, I listened to a lot of psychedelic rock under mushrooms which made me have this kind of music under my skin. There's a song by Jimmy Hendricks called "Are you experienced?". I guess it means something :-).

Afterwards, a friend took me to a psytrance festival where I had my first acid, which was a real blast. This music entered my body and never left it. Now that I've been through this, I don't really need the substance to enjoy it (I listen to psybient or even very uptempo psy at work to focus ...).

The remaining question, which will never get an answer is "would I enjoy this kind of music so much if I hadn't had the connections enabled by lsd or other kind of psychedelic substances?". I think I would answer no but I don't know.

The thing that I really notice is when I try to play psybient, or worse psytrance at a party, the room is split in two between people who already went to a festival and took psychedelics, and others.

I think I can answer yes to Jimmy's question. I think I wouldn't have this music so deep inside without having tried lsd.

Now stone or not, I love the music. However, at Ambiosonic (to stick to psybient) for instance, without the help of acid, I guess, I would have enjoyed the music but travelled less far into the sky and underwater (would have been difficult to embody a diver exploring a human's blood vessels haha).

Wow, similar to me , stoned i get a kick to lisent to some raw black metal, but then sometimes i prefer some calm complexity as Psybient offer.

i love to call psybient music "The tracklist that play when no other music plays"

so there is never silence in my home .

Cheers.

Also, i love how psybient can be listened carefully with technical aspects, or forgoten in an pleasant background. Very inquiring, or liberating.

Interesting how it can fit 2 very diferent mindstate.

I listen to it in both when sober at work and when specially tuned %) and -as the result- want to dance/meditate/do yoga. Yoga in headphones especially, oh yeah.

I would not do any choice between sober or flying high,since this music works as flashback catalysator for me sometimes, and simply makes me travel within inner and outer Space without any substances. Handy!

I never tried any drugs, even weed I only smoked three times. I started listening to Goa in '95 (14yo) and psychill in '96.

I always hated ppl saying you need this and that to appreciate psychedelic music.

Just turn of the lights, light some candles and incense sticks and you are rdy for a journey.