psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
tuculuxu

Ott - Fairchildren (2015) [self-released] (psydub, ambient, chill, downtempo ...)

I`m listening to it right now and really enjoying what I can hear there ( second track already  -  old, good Ott`s style) :)

To be honest - I was scared a little bit before ( month ago) of  " teaser"  track - " Harwell Dekatron"  ( track # 4 on album) that all realese will be in this "glitchy"  style but fortunatelly it`s not  :D.

I'm honestly not feeling it. Have given it a few spins by now and it just doesn't captivate me. I probably went into it with too high expectations but it doesn't even come close to the epicness and coherency (is that even a word?) that Mir had.

I'm honestly not feeling it. Have given it a few spins by now and it just doesn't captivate me. I probably went into it with too high expectations but it doesn't even come close to the epicness and coherency (is that even a word?) that Mir had.

I have the same feeling, even though, since it's Ott, I tried a few times ...

Mir is amazing, as well as Blumenkraft. Must be something live, but I've never seen him!

A thought that crossed my mind is that, in a way, he may felt forced to complete it on time. Not that other pledged projects haven't been delayed before, but still, it's a different kind of pressure than simply working on your music signed on a label. Other than that, you have to consider that Ott has been exploring the same sound style for a decade or more. I mean, not just the same style but this very specific vision of dub music. It becomes exceedingly difficult to impress or surprise his audience and I would guess himself as well. 

It becomes exceedingly difficult to impress or surprise his audience and I would guess himself as well. 

I tend to agree in general. His music is quite self-similar, which can be a bit too predictable at times. Still, I think he's used a bit different vocal styles than usual this time. The psy element is toned down a notch too IMO.

I've given it a few more listens and can now thankfully see beyond my disappointment. There's still elements of some of the tracks (and some whole tracks) that I dislike, but I'm warming up to it. It's not his best and definitely not the best album of the year, but it's decent.

Ott's music has always been something that gets better over time. Although I agree this may not be his best, but damn there are some incredible tracks and as usual his production levels are just on another level. I look forward to listening and jamming out this album for the last bit of summer.

Current favourite track is 'Hello, My name is...'

^ I really like that track as well.  And 'The Bicycle of the Sky'.  The upbeat tracks are really good.  

I had the album on in the car the other night and have to say I really enjoyed it.  It was my first proper, active listen.  Maybe I like it more than the last one?  I don't know yet.  I reckon I will listen to it a lot over the coming Spring and Summer months (here in the antipodes).

^ You're response is just what he was taking about.  People laying stuff on him that's not anything to do with him.  Is he really burned out?  Or is that just what you think because he didn't produce exactly what YOU were wanting to hear?  He didn't sound burned out to me.  In fact, he sounded the opposite - that he is exactly where he wants to be, doing what he wants to do.

I know, disappointments come from frustrated hopes, but this is not the case. I haven't expected his album and it occurred from nowhere. Due to huge amount of releases nowadays I don't expect much from them, I just give them a listen, like I did to Fairchildren. Well honestly, I did expect something good from it, based on my previous experience with this artist. I would say, he unwittingly set a pretty high standards for himself and others by releasing high quality albums in the past. Though I appreciate the time his spent producing this album, it doesn't prove anything. Any artist knows, it doesn't matter how much time you spent making something, if it's bad, it will remain bad. I've recently been working on a track, I nearly spent 2 months and realized that it's just not groovy. It's well mixed, all sounds are neat, it has a good master at premixdown stage, but it's not groovy. And you ask yourself, you spent 2 months trying to polish what should have abandoned in the first place, do you really want to release it, do you want to throw away your precious time? It's difficult to accept this, but I wouldn't release it, because I know what will be the outcome, it's going to be just another track like billion others.

I don't know whether it was the same scenario with Ott, I really don't know, but it might. Because everybody can see and hear that album is done professionally, everything is just perfect, but it's just not groovy to me.

Yes but...

if he's happy with what he made, isn't that enough?  Just like if you were happy with your track that you worked two months on, wouldn't that be enough?

I was only saying that we are exchanging opinions about music.  To say it's not groovy to you is fair enough.  To say he has burned out is something else.  He's not quite Syd Barrett yet...   ;)

Well, t's complicated. For him, yes, I think that's enough. For his professional career, I wouldn't be so positive. For us, it's a sad day. Maybe it's a sign of Déformation professionnelle, so to speak. Anyway, I think his future releases will show us the true path he chose.

You are right, this is my personal opinion, don't spread it out :)

I haven't heard the record yet but there's some interesting points..

You can spend two months polishing a track and if it hasn't got the groove it hasn't got the groove. I've done this..

You can make a track in a couple of days and it can be rough but if it's got the groove it's got the groove.

The problem is this.... When you start a new track there's always a flush of love for it. Like a new partner.. What I try to do is do a little development and then put it away for a good couple of months. When you come back to it with a completely fresh palette you know instantly whether it's a good one or not. You just know.

It's a matter of carefully choosing which track you are going to sink your valuable time into.

I often have a development period where I just jam out a while load of ideas, like a band jamming out ideas in the rehearsal studio and then deciding which are the strongest tracks to record.