psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Gagarin Project

When did you start listening to psybient / psychill music?

54 members have voted

1. 1. When did you start listening to psybient / psychill music?

• 1995-1996
    • 1997-1998
    • 1999-2000
    • 2001-2002
    • 2003-2004
    • 2005-2006
    • 2007-2008
    • 2009-2010
    • 2011-2012
    • 2013-2014
    • before 1995
    • before 1990

For me it all began with The Orb - Little Fluffy Clouds... and from there I discovered gems like FSOL's Lifeforms/Dead Cities and Orbital's Snivilisation. On the psychedelic tip it must have been releases like Mystical Experiences that I first encountered but the details are somewhat hazy in my recollection... ;)

Probably around 2003 when I first heard Juno Reactor's downtempo stuff. Around the same time I was listening to a lot of stuff that could be considered the ancestors of "modern" psybient - The Orb, FSOL, Banco De Gaia etc. A couple of years later I heard Shpongle for the first time, which was when I first became aware that psy-chill was a fully fledged scene rather than a few weird tracks to be found on psy albums.

Can't remember exactly, but it was in the beginning of '90s when my father played me Jean Michel Jarre Equinoxe album. There were also Era, Enigma, Mike Oldfield and other things which played quite a large role in my life. In 2009 or something like that I quite randomly discovered Shpongle and Yggdrasil and it was at that time when I started switching to the Psychill genre completely. Before that I was a Drum & Bass junkie.

Started in 03,04...was already into Psytrance for a couple of years, then came across "Monster Hit" by Shpongle, i was amazed by it, i had never listened to anything like that, after that, i got the album and started to dig deeper into the genre, and to be honest i don't listen to Psytrance that much these days, Psybient changed my life :D

I don't even know what Psybient and PsyChill mean, can anyone define it clearly? Genuine question.

i wish it was easy to explain, but let me try. I am doing a quick answer, so if somebody can make it better or rephrase it that would be wonderful.

psychill/psybient - usually 0-110 bpm fusion of ambient-electronic-ethnic music most of the time produced in a digital way. Some people may differenciate psybient and psychill, but i consider tthem as synonyms. Frankly speaking, I just don't like the world "chill" in psychill. This music keep my mind more active then anything else. Maybe i exagerate, some of the artist produce much more relaxed tracks.

Why Psy? I have to answers :

1) because psychill is made with similar sound technique, similar instruments and FX units and sometimes by the same producers as psytrance music.

2) "psychedelic" can be understood as mind expending, so psybient / psychill in other words can be understood as mind expending "chill / ambient" music.

Many genres are melting together and the result can be put in "psy downtempo box". inside psychill we can also differenciate sub-flows: ethnic, psydub, slow trance.

and why not listen, we have a featured collection of albums and mixes => http://www.psybient.org/love/category/music/

My first taste of psybient music came from a CD called 'CELTIC CROSS - HICKSVILLE'.

It was released in 1998 on Dragonfly records.

At that time I was exploring ambient & chillout when I came across this CD.,, well, waauw man :)

For me it was, and still is, a precious CD to me.

The lay-out, the tracks, the unknow producers & label. Everything was so new to me and very addictive :)

Here you have some more info about it:

http://www.discogs.com/Celtic-Cross-Hicksville/release/43913

From that moment on, I oriented my ears to the psychedic aspect of electronic music and started out on a tour of many festivals across europe (sonica,2 times boom, 6 times ozora, serpent rainbow etc.)

And at every festival the line-up in the chillout stage was more importend than what was going on on the main dance floor!

And still is today!

Is it available as a paid lossless download anywhere?

I don't know about a download but the CD is available at very reasonable prices on discogs:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/43913?ev=rb

I adore this album. I listened to Khatmandu on the Spiritual Worlds compilation, which also had Room 2à« and Crescent Suns by Binah and I was instantly curious about Simon's downtempo work. Haven't looked back since. In fact I'd really like Simon, Youth and Saul Davies to get together once more and do a proper follow-up, though I won't hold my breath.

Is it available as a paid lossless download anywhere?

shpongle or CELTIC CROSS?

shpongle is a portal, but is not the most representative of modern "psybient/psychill". It is much more experimental and energetic then most of the "psybient/psychill". Yet shpongle is masterpiece.

you shall try bandcamp, beatspace, psyshop, junodownload and beatport to find any music you need :) i am pretty sure shponge is there.

as for CELTIC CROSS i didn't manage to find it in google. Only the pirate sites are visible there. I got mine in mp3 many many years ago and it definetely was an important step for me to get involved with all this.

Celtic Cross, I'm not a big fan of Shpongle at all, I'm afraid! Not heard the Celtic Cross album but have heard many people rate it very highly so want to check it out. Will investigate all the usual places, I am quite happy to pay for it if it's a lossless download, but if not will get the CD!

Celtic Cross, I'm not a big fan of Shpongle at all, I'm afraid! Not heard the Celtic Cross album but have heard many people rate it very highly so want to check it out. Will investigate all the usual places, I am quite happy to pay for it if it's a lossless download, but if not will get the CD!

I can feel you here!

I'm not a big fan of sphongle myself but Celtic Cross is way different, I don't compare it with sphongle at all.

The title track from Hicksville and maybe Khatmandu are kind of Shpongley, but they're the only ones. The rest of the album takes on many forms. Jade Garden and Shwazz are the peak form me, but only marginally so. Darshannon I could have done without. I do love Shpongle though.

I've found both Mysteries of the Yeti to be hit and miss, not in whole tunes but in sections. Not too keen on the non-musical intro tracks. I love Mystical Experiences, though in the early internet days I bought it, I thought it would be a goa album. Best mistake of my life so far.

The title track from Hicksville and maybe Khatmandu are kind of Shpongley, but they're the only ones. The rest of the album takes on many forms. Jade Garden and Shwazz are the peak form me, but only marginally so. Darshannon I could have done without. I do love Shpongle though.

I've found both Mysteries of the Yeti to be hit and miss, not in whole tunes but in sections. Not too keen on the non-musical intro tracks. I love Mystical Experiences, though in the early internet days I bought it, I thought it would be a goa album. Best mistake of my life so far.

Those are probably my favourite tracks of Hicksville as well, Mystery Of The Yeti is good for what it's meant to be, it's one of those albums you have to listen from start to finish, not just one or two tracks, and i love Mystical Experiences as well, classic album for sure.

i am preparing psybient anthology articles with a list of the most important releases +/- 1999-2005. Will probably propose you guys to colloborate on it, in case something is missing :)

How about 1995 - 2014? :D  There could be a thread for all the members so that we could vote for our favourite albums of each year

I guess I was listening to psychill before it even existed; as I was thinking about the topic, I remembered my reaction when first listening to Jean-Michel Jarre's Oxygene (1976) and later Equinox (1978) albums, in my opinion most of today's electronic music is derivative from these two album (could have mention Zoolook as well). From then on I was always looking for these atmospheres and layering in the music I was listening to, this is also when my eternal hunger for new music started and I'm still starving.....

My first contact with music labelled as psychill was like many others, thru Shpongle's Are you Shpongled?, specifically Divine Moments of Truth, the changes of pace throughout the song had a magical effect on me. It's very paradoxal that I discovered Children of the bong only last month..... it only shows how deep this scene is.

Children of the bong only last month..... it only shows how deep this scene is.

ow yes! 

Children of the Bong = awesome indeed!

'Sirius Sounds' is a massive LP!

I played that, soo many years ago, 'till my ears bleed :)

When i look at it now it was for me also a great discovery in psy/stoner music.

here's a link: http://www.discogs.com/Children-Of-The-Bong-Sirius-Sounds/master/25779

I've been listening to ambient which was not designed to be specifically psybient (probably the name didn't really exist at the time), with artists such as Brian Eno, Klaus Schulze, Jean-Michel Jarre around 2007. Then someone made me discover Sphongle around 2011, instant hook as many here, never left it :-). Then I discovered all (or maybe not all I hope!) Posford work, amazing.

I guess I was listening to psychill before it even existed; as I was thinking about the topic, I remembered my reaction when first listening to Jean-Michel Jarre's Oxygene (1976) and later Equinox (1978) albums, in my opinion most of today's electronic music is derivative from these two album (could have mention Zoolook as well). From then on I was always looking for these atmospheres and layering in the music I was listening to, this is also when my eternal hunger for new music started and I'm still starving.....

My first contact with music labelled as psychill was like many others, thru Shpongle's Are you Shpongled?, specifically Divine Moments of Truth, the changes of pace throughout the song had a magical effect on me. It's very paradoxal that I discovered Children of the bong only last month..... it only shows how deep this scene is.

I guess when you say that all electronic music flows from these albums, that may be true, but why not go even before (Kraftwerk), or even before before (Stravinsky), or bef ... I guess there's a whole history of interdependence, evolution or music (there's a nice introduction by Wax Tailor on this topic: 'How shall I start a story that has no beginning?' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWlFVEfVNxU)

Will try Children of the bong, thanks.