psybient.org community members forum - share good vibes and enjoy
Gagarin Project

When did you start listening to psybient / psychill music?

54 members have voted

1. 1. When did you start listening to psybient / psychill music?

• 1995-1996
    • 1997-1998
    • 1999-2000
    • 2001-2002
    • 2003-2004
    • 2005-2006
    • 2007-2008
    • 2009-2010
    • 2011-2012
    • 2013-2014
    • before 1995
    • before 1990

I was also 2005-2006 I think. Before that I only liked fast music..cant really remember but I started listening to chill out from the Morlack mixes on DI.fm back in maybe 2004? But didnt really get into it till a year later. Bought shpongle - are you shpongled cd back then and never looked back :D

I was also 2005-2006 I think. Before that I only liked fast music..cant really remember but I started listening to chill out from the Morlack mixes on DI.fm back in maybe 2004? But didnt really get into it till a year later. Bought shpongle - are you shpongled cd back then and never looked back :D

Shoom,

since how long is di.fm/psychill channel is up?

what was the channel that played Morlack mixes ?

I only voted 95-96 because there wasn't an earlier option.............. only if you count things like FSOL of course!

Flexagon,

tell us more about it !

what year was it ? FSOL ?

p.s. i added two more options for you, so you can change your vote :)

Nice feature being able to change your vote! :)

This and other similar music pre-date the tags Psybient and Psychill but for me they are part of the journey and history that have led us to where we are now.

Future Sound of London - Lifeforms - 1994

Shoom,

since how long is di.fm/psychill channel is up?

what was the channel that played Morlack mixes ?

I launched the PsyChill Channel in 2009, before that all chill was on the only chillout channel that DI Had at the time called "Chill Out". Morlack had his mixes on there. But back then on the forums so much of the psychill style tracks were getting negative reviews which was one of the pushes I made to branch the channel out. Keep the psychedelic and dub seperate and leave the cheesy stuff to "Chill Out" channel :P

Mine was 2003-2004. First ever psychill album I heard and tripped on, alone at my praent's flat, was VA - Future sound of Ambient 3 (http://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Future-Sound-Of-Ambient-III-Psychedelic-Chill-Out/release/374230)

Shortly after I heard Shpongle and loved it! :)

I started with FSOL, dont remember the album (i had a lot of mp3 from different albums, you know high school days;)) and some other chill stuff like Krudder and Dorfmeister and Peace Orchestra. It was a time when i was moving from rock/metal into some electronic and jazz but i didnt listen to a lot of it back then, becouse i also discovered Goa, DnB, and later on Dubstep and becouse I like to explore genres I didnt focus too much on any of them but in 2014 I really got hooked by Androcell, Carbon Based Life Forms AES DENA and a lot of related artists (thanks to Spotify for that !! :))  Now Psybient and related genres are on top of my listening queue:) 

I voted for both '96 and '03, depending on what counts as psybient. My favourite artists, Ozric Tentacles, had tunes in a similar style since the '80s. I started listening to them in '96. I got into psybient as a genre through the compilation Spritual Worlds, which I bought in '03. Wikipedia was instrumental in helping me discover new artists and labels.

I got into psybient as a genre through the compilation Spritual Worlds, which I bought in '03. Wikipedia was instrumental in helping me discover new artists and labels.

how did you use wikipedia for that?

As for myself, i discovered many artist with a pirate "psybient pack" available via torrents and later on via last.fm and di.fm/psychill. I actually recommend to install last.fm plugin that will keep track of what you listen and will give you details about currently listened artist as well as similar artists.

There was actually a full page on psybient at the time, with recommended artists and labels. I started buying some of the recommedations and downloaded any bits and pieces I could get my hands on on Limewire. And yes, the psybient packs were pure gold too, I learned loads from them. Nowadays it's mainly through your site I learn about new releases, but also YouTube, Ektoplazm, some bandcamp pages and some other, less, erm, legitimate sources. We're spoilt for choice nowadays so it's not a big deal if I miss some releases.

My first "alternative" psy track was Rotorblade by the mighty Juno Reactor.... I was mesmerized by that track, still am actually. One of the most beautiful electronic/cinematic pieces ever composed. A year or so later I stumbled upon the Mystery of the Yeti (the first one) and I was hooked.... And then it was the first Shpongle (Are You Shpongled?) which sat in my throne of best album ever for many good years :D

I came relatively late to the party, starting around 2011 by listening to Shpongle and Entheogenic at first, coming from a psytrance background. I felt in love right away, but didnt know back then that there was a huge world of psybient beside these two acts. Nowdays, I discover new artists weekly and it just never stop. I am not complaining!

I discovered Goa Trance in 1996 with the first Pulse compilation and was immediately hooked to this music. I started to buy all the cds i could get at this time (and it wasn't that much my record store had to offer at this time).

One of the albums i bought in the beginning was  "Global Psychedelic Trance Vol. 2" by Spirit Zone, the second cd containing chill tracks by Pleiadians, X-Dreams, The Infinity Project and Patchwork. So i think this was my introduction to psychill. At this time you didn't find too many chill albums, but often the closing track of an Goa album was chill.

I always loved the Trance music as well as psychill, but with the years my focus is more and more on the chill side, enjoying dance music mainly at festivals today (and also there i spent more time at the chill area). There is just more musical variety and emotion in the chill music compared to the four to the floor formula.

I`m not sure when it started exactly but what I can rember it was before middle of 90s and projects like FSOL, some tracks of Orbital then first ambient compilations (CD 2) from Spirit Zone by DJ Antaro - "Global psychedelic trance ...  (then chillout ... ) and so on ;)

Exactly, Spirit Zone comps I remember well.

1997-1998. One of the earliest I heard was the 2nd CD of Return to the Source's The Chakra Journey compilation. Can't remember anymore what was the first "psychill" (pardon the double quotes but I don't think it was called that yet back then) CD I bought (first goa CD I bought was Transwave - Helium and I'll never forget that) but I think it's along the lines of The Infinity Project - Mystical Experiences / Celtic Cross - Hicksville / Mathuresh - Metaphor / Sri Hari - One But Different / some Banco de Gaia album.

Then of course came Shpongle's debut album and nothing was really the same anymore :D